Author Topic: How to insert characters with accent?  (Read 3200 times)

Vistaus

• View Profile
How to insert characters with accent?
« on: January 23, 2020, 04:25:19 pm »
I can't seem to find a way to insert e.g. é and è. Does anyone know how to do that?

Dickon Hood

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 04:39:36 pm »
Only by using the on-screen keyboard, unfortunately.  If you find out how, let me know...

Marc Laporte

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 04:58:20 pm »
Do a long press and it will offer you all the accents.

Dickon Hood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 05:08:24 pm »
Not on the proper (hardware) keyboard.

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 05:09:17 pm »
Quote from: Dickon Hood
Only by using the on-screen keyboard, unfortunately.  If you find out how, let me know...
Do not believe that is correct (has still only got the Gemini, but assume it is the same on the Cosmo):

If you long-press ANY key (in a text field), there will be a pop-up with alternatives for that letter. You can then either touch the letter you want on the screen, OR enter the number (on the keyboard) that is also displayed on the "key" on the screen...

(There might be some setting that disables this "long-press behavior", so might check some of the settings for language and/or keyboard if it doesn't work...)

(I also see someone else has posted this as I'm composing this, but one might have to go in to settings to get it to work, so I'll post it "again" anyway...    )

Vistaus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 05:11:25 pm »
Quote from: gymbo
Do not believe that is correct (has still only got the Gemini, but assume it is the same on the Cosmo):

If you long-press ANY key (in a text field), there will be a pop-up with alternatives for that letter. You can then either touch the letter you want on the screen, OR enter the number (on the keyboard) that is also displayed on the "key" on the screen...

(There might be some setting that disables this "long-press behavior", so might check some of the settings for language and/or keyboard if it doesn't work...)

(I also see someone else has posted this as I'm composing this, but one might have to go in to settings to get it to work, so I'll post it "again" anyway...    )

Found the setting, but it doesn't support Dvorak

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 05:13:32 pm »
Not on the proper (hardware) keyboard.
Just to clarify: YES, you will get this pop-up on the hardware-keyboard, if the settings for it are set correctly. (With the very small reservation that they for some reason has "disabled" it on the Cosmo, which I see absolutely no reason they would...)

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 05:20:36 pm »
Quote from: Vistaus
What doesn't support Dvorak? I thought it is mainly a hardware-function, that should be pretty independent of language. I get things like the German "double-s" as an option for "s" on my (Norwegian) Gemini. Is it that it doesn't support special Dvorak letters??

If it actually don't work for your language I'm really sorry, but that should not be the "intent", so should be something to take up with Planet...

Dickon Hood

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 05:31:19 pm »
Hmm.  I just get lots and lots of autorepeat if I hold down a key.  Holding an on-screen key works as you'd expect, but the physical keyboard just autorepeats.

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 05:48:46 pm »
Hmm.  I just get lots and lots of autorepeat if I hold down a key.  Holding an on-screen key works as you'd expect, but the physical keyboard just autorepeats.
That is where the setting comes in, I'll see if I can locate it on my Gemini. (Which is Norwegian, and on Android 8, so don't know how much help it would be...):

OK, found it, it is under "Virtual keyboards" (or something similar), where you find the Gemini keyboard. Clicking that you get an option to go to settings, and under settings there should be a toggle switch which says something like (or probably exactly this, as the text for that is in English on my Norwegian Gemini) "Show alternative keys on longpress".

Hope this helps...

Dickon Hood

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 06:06:23 pm »
Oh, ta.  Very helpful.

Vistaus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 06:42:34 pm »
What doesn't support Dvorak? I thought it is mainly a hardware-function, that should be pretty independent of language. I get things like the German "double-s" as an option for "s" on my (Norwegian) Gemini. Is it that it doesn't support special Dvorak letters??

If it actually don't work for your language I'm really sorry, but that should not be the "intent", so should be something to take up with Planet...

I enabled the setting you were referring to, but when I hold down a character, special characters pop up for the key that would be in that location as if this was a QWERTY keyboard.

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 07:30:40 pm »

I enabled the setting you were referring to, but when I hold down a character, special characters pop up for the key that would be in that location as if this was a QWERTY keyboard.
Hmm, then I really would suggest that it is some kind of oversight on Planets behalf, and should be reported, so they (hopefully) can fix it.

drpeter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2020, 11:29:06 pm »
I still can't find this setting anywhere on my Cosmo, which seems however by default to have the longpress-for-accents enabled.

Please can someone talk me through how to turn this off, i.e. to longpress-for-repeat?

I have the latest firmware & CODI updates, (19 & 13 respectively) and a UK layout physical keyboard with UK and Japanese keyboard layout maps downloaded.

Thanks

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2020, 01:20:24 am »
Quote from: drpeter
I still can't find this setting anywhere on my Cosmo, which seems however by default to have the longpress-for-accents enabled.

Please can someone talk me through how to turn this off, i.e. to longpress-for-repeat?

I have the latest firmware & CODI updates, (19 & 13 respectively) and a UK layout physical keyboard with UK and Japanese keyboard layout maps downloaded.

Thanks
If the setting really doesn't exist on the Cosmo, this will not help much, but seems others with the Cosmo has found it, so I'll repeat what I wrote earlier: On the Gemini it is located under "Virtual Keyboards", which really is illogical as it relates to a PHYSICAL keyboard. Another explanation might be that it is located somewhere else on the Cosmo, and if so, I can't really help you as I still haven't got my Cosmo. But hopefully someone who has the Cosmo and HAS found the setting might help you. (I tried searching in settings with the text-string in my post a few posts above, but that didn't get any results. It was however under the first "hit" when searching for "virtual" in Norwegian (virtuell)...)