Author Topic: Best ssh app?  (Read 1795 times)

szopin

• View Profile
Best ssh app?
« on: January 30, 2020, 10:30:16 am »
While we wait for debian/sfos just wondering what people are using to avoid installing 20 shitty ones filled with ads etc

NormMonkey

• View Profile
Best ssh app?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 01:43:57 pm »
Quote from: szopin
While we wait for debian/sfos just wondering what people are using to avoid installing 20 shitty ones filled with ads etc

I've been happy with ConnectBot in the past but nowadays I just use termux for SSH and for so much more.  tmux on termux ftw.

I think PlanetC recommends JuiceSSH?  At least I thought I saw its icon in one of the howto videos.  I think they may have a video about SSH.

szopin

• View Profile
Best ssh app?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 02:03:21 pm »
Quote from: NormMonkey
Quote from: szopin

I've been happy with ConnectBot in the past but nowadays I just use termux for SSH and for so much more.  tmux on termux ftw.

I think PlanetC recommends JuiceSSH?  At least I thought I saw its icon in one of the howto videos.  I think they may have a video about SSH.

Thanks, ended up trying juicessh and so far so good (except bit of colour issues in mc), thought it would be standard android experience where you have 100 apps to do one thing and 90 do it barely with a ton of ads on top and the remaining 10% never invested in gaming playstore likes so have to waste a ton of time to get there. Gonna check termux/tmux, thx

NormMonkey

• View Profile
Best ssh app?
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 02:13:09 pm »
> Thanks, ended up trying juicessh and so far so good (except bit of colour issues in mc)

I imagine ANSI color stuff should work well in termux.

> thought it would be standard android experience where you have 100 apps to do one thing and 90 do it barely with a ton of ads on top and the remaining 10% never invested in gaming playstore likes so have to waste a ton of time to get there.

Agree!  Not only about ads but also whether or not to trust that the developer's code isn't doing something malicious like capturing data it shouldn't, especially for an SSH client.

Dickon Hood

• View Profile
    • http://
Best ssh app?
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 05:31:00 pm »
I've been using JuiceSSH (the free version) for years on my Android devices.  It's ... OK.

I recently discovered SSHelper (GPL -- very Free), which is stunning.  Data backups become a matter of running that up and rsync.  It also comes with an ssh client.

szopin

• View Profile
Best ssh app?
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 10:29:10 am »
Quote from: NormMonkey
> Thanks, ended up trying juicessh and so far so good (except bit of colour issues in mc)

I imagine ANSI color stuff should work well in termux.

> thought it would be standard android experience where you have 100 apps to do one thing and 90 do it barely with a ton of ads on top and the remaining 10% never invested in gaming playstore likes so have to waste a ton of time to get there.

Agree!  Not only about ads but also whether or not to trust that the developer's code isn't doing something malicious like capturing data it shouldn't, especially for an SSH client.
Termux does handle 256 ANSI very well (tested on brogue roguelike, pretty amazing that it works that well over ssh), juiceSSH has issues, parts of screen do not refresh properly and colours are kind of all over the place. Tried SSHelper, but it would not connect to my jolla at all, then again it is mostly a server app (and probably some parameters could help, termux will do), thanks!