Author Topic: Fullscreen browser?  (Read 2296 times)

szopin

• View Profile
Fullscreen browser?
« on: January 31, 2020, 11:15:54 am »
Apparently chrome lost its ability to browse in fullscreen somewhere since 2016 (settings->site settings as articles from 2016 suggest no longer has it), firefox seems to also have it missing and addon for fullscreen does nothing... Anyone has maybe figured this out? Thanks in advance

gymbo

• View Profile
Fullscreen browser?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 04:23:11 pm »
Quote from: szopin
Apparently chrome lost its ability to browse in fullscreen somewhere since 2016 (settings->site settings as articles from 2016 suggest no longer has it), firefox seems to also have it missing and addon for fullscreen does nothing... Anyone has maybe figured this out? Thanks in advance
Opera has a fullscreen setting. I thought Vivaldi had it too, but couldn't find it in either the menus or with any of the keyboard-shortcuts (it supports quite a few) now. But I did find out that in addition to Ctrl-Tab for changing tab, you can use Ctrl-(1 to 9 or 0, although I only tested up to 3) to get directly to tab 1-9 (or 1-10?).

But Opera at least has fullscreen (and it supports some keyboard shortcuts as well, but not as many as Vivaldi).

maki.jouni

• View Profile
Fullscreen browser?
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 03:22:57 am »
I have changed display settings from developers settings and using Brave -browser. It's sifting automatically to fullscren when browsing pages. Don't know how that browser behaves with "smaller" display settings.
Cosmo Communicator (Fin/Swe), Mix2, Sony Xperia XZ & Z3, Nokia N900, Nokia PARSA, HTC Touch Pro, Qtek 9100, Nokia 6600 & 6210 & 2110, Mobira Talkman

spook

• View Profile
Fullscreen browser?
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 04:21:03 am »
Yeah, it's really annoying. I use Firefox, but I need full screen for just one site I visit. So I also need Opera. Since good old Chrome can't be removed And there is a default browser that also can't be removed, I find myself with 4 browsers on my Cosmo!

szopin

• View Profile
Fullscreen browser?
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 07:15:57 am »
Quote from: gymbo
Opera has a fullscreen setting. I thought Vivaldi had it too, but couldn't find it in either the menus or with any of the keyboard-shortcuts (it supports quite a few) now. But I did find out that in addition to Ctrl-Tab for changing tab, you can use Ctrl-(1 to 9 or 0, although I only tested up to 3) to get directly to tab 1-9 (or 1-10?).

But Opera at least has fullscreen (and it supports some keyboard shortcuts as well, but not as many as Vivaldi).
Thanks, that works great!

@maki.jouni
Yeah, it usually works, but some page types do not scroll (things like webchat or similar) and the ultra wide nature of the display makes the address+status bar eat close to 20% of screen estate in those cases, having a button to force fullscreen is very useful then

@spook
Ended up with same setup

Dickon Hood

• View Profile
    • http://
Fullscreen browser?
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 07:32:45 am »
Hmm.  Firefox does full-screen for me, once the page has completely finished loading, and you've scrolled up a bit.

Setings -> General -> Full-screen browsing.

szopin

• View Profile
Fullscreen browser?
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 07:37:22 am »
Quote from: Dickon Hood
Hmm.  Firefox does full-screen for me, once the page has completely finished loading, and you've scrolled up a bit.

Setings -> General -> Full-screen browsing.
Yeah, if the page allows scrolling that usually works, but some pages resize to your screen and you're stuck with the address bar, even 'fullscreen' addon for firefox doesn't help then for some reason

akrus

• View Profile
Fullscreen browser?
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 08:11:31 am »
Using Naked Browser, it comes with a bunch of keyboard shortcuts and works in fullscreen by default.

Dickon Hood

• View Profile
    • http://
Fullscreen browser?
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 08:45:36 am »
Yeah, if the page allows scrolling that usually works, but some pages resize to your screen and you're stuck with the address bar, even 'fullscreen' addon for firefox doesn't help then for some reason

Hmm.  Have you got an example?  I can't think of one off the top of my head.

szopin

• View Profile
Fullscreen browser?
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 09:11:54 am »
Quote from: Dickon Hood

Hmm.  Have you got an example?  I can't think of one off the top of my head.
For example https://webchat.freenode.net/ you can scroll the buffer, url bar stays stubbornly on top.