Author Topic: Ukrainian (or other cyrillic non-russian) layout  (Read 1395 times)

alien2003

• View Profile
Ukrainian (or other cyrillic non-russian) layout
« on: February 07, 2020, 04:40:12 am »
Greetings from Ukraine!

Do you know if it's possible to input ukrainian symbols on hardware keyboard? ?, ? and so on?

Daniel W

• View Profile
Ukrainian (or other cyrillic non-russian) layout
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 04:05:53 pm »
Quote from: alien2003
Greetings from Ukraine!

Do you know if it's possible to input Ukrainian symbols on hardware keyboard? ?, ? and so on?
Welcome. Ukrainian characters doesn't seem to work well here on OESF. On my PC, they just show up as "?, ? and so on?". I have had similar issues with various Unicode symbols. They look fine when I type them in the editor, but they just comes out as question marks once I've posted something.

While I am no expert, I think the "simple" answer for Android is no. While I can set "Ukrainian" as the layout for the physical keyboard, that's an "Android keyboard" layout, not a "Gemini keyboard" (I suppose it should say "Cosmo keyboard", but it doesn't). While the Ukrainian "Android keyboard" layout does produce Cyrillic characters, they (to me at least) seems like regular Russian. Also, when using an "Android keyboard" layout, while a few of the Fn-key shortcuts still works, I can't get any of the symbols that are on the front of keys.

If I, with the physical keyboard set to the Ukrainian "Android keyboard" layout, start typing, row by row, starting at Q (on my Swedish/Finnish hardware keyboard), these are characters I can type, without and with shift (you may need to click on the image to make it bigger):
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
If I long-press a hardware key, I do get an on-screen pop-up, but it doesn't have anything to do with Ukrainian. Instead I just get different variations of Latin letters, like ñ, û and ë. If I set the virtual keyboard to Ukrainian, and long-press various keys on the virtual keyboard, I do get symbols seemingly relevant to Ukrainian, but that was obviously not the answer you were looking for, so unless Planet computers defines an "Gemini keyboard" layout for the hardware keyboard, it might not be easy.

On principle, at least on a rooted device, it should be possible to change keyboard mappings, and in Linux there are probably more possibilities, but that's beyond my knowledge, so I hope someone else can contribute further insights.