Author Topic: MAC address changing during reboot  (Read 1975 times)

Elevennails

• View Profile
MAC address changing during reboot
« on: February 24, 2020, 04:28:32 pm »
Hi I'm using the image PC have just released. I've noticed that the mac address is changing on they cosmo between reboots and i assume it's the same Connman issue as this from the gemini forum

https://github.com/gemian/gemian/wiki/DebianTP3

However this folder structure does not exist. Does anyone know how to prevent the mac address changing on the cosmo? Has anyone got work around?

Thanks
Elevennails
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 04:36:12 pm by Elevennails »

g.husson

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 10:57:27 am »
Hello, path seems to be /mnt/vendor/nvdata --> /mnt/vendor/nvdata/APCFG/APRDEB/WIFI
I don't know if the same tweak applies to this file...

szopin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 05:42:54 am »
Quote from: g.husson
Hello, path seems to be /mnt/vendor/nvdata --> /mnt/vendor/nvdata/APCFG/APRDEB/WIFI
This has the MAC address reported by android on mine, but the ones it's getting seem random. For automatically connecting to wifi it's enough to clear the 'Restrict to device' field in NetworkManager settings. macchanger seems to work, so if you have mac filtering on your router a shell script to 'ifconfig wlan0 down/macchanger -m aa:bb... wlan0/ifconfig wlan0 up' should do it (apt-get wireless-tools and macchanger first as needed). Not sure yet how to properly and once and for all replace NetworkManager with connman for mobile data, as it seems to revert to NetworkManager after reboot (and probably also is causing the random mac ignoring the file you mentioned), but still haven't got a nano sim to test it properly

Elevennails

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 08:40:02 am »
Quote from: szopin
Quote from: g.husson
This has the MAC address reported by android on mine, but the ones it's getting seem random. For automatically connecting to wifi it's enough to clear the 'Restrict to device' field in NetworkManager settings. macchanger seems to work, so if you have mac filtering on your router a shell script to 'ifconfig wlan0 down/macchanger -m aa:bb... wlan0/ifconfig wlan0 up' should do it (apt-get wireless-tools and macchanger first as needed). Not sure yet how to properly and once and for all replace NetworkManager with connman for mobile data, as it seems to revert to NetworkManager after reboot (and probably also is causing the random mac ignoring the file you mentioned), but still haven't got a nano sim to test it properly

Changing the mac in hexedit as per the DebainTP3 Connman link didn't work for me.

As you suggested clearing the "Restrict to device" field resolves my problem. I'm not bothered if the mac address changes it's was just a pain to have to re-enter the WIFI password everytime i rebooted

Thanks for the tip.