Author Topic: QR Code Scanning  (Read 30790 times)

SwordfishII

• View Profile
QR Code Scanning
« on: February 26, 2020, 02:03:54 pm »
I use Google messages for sms/mms. It has a neat feature that allows you to scan a qr code on a computer browser and use the computer to respond to messages.

Problem is the cosmo camera seems to distort the qr code which is the only means of authenticating.

Anybody know how to tweak the camera distortion?

Vistaus

• View Profile
QR Code Scanning
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 05:21:27 pm »
I've scanned various QR codes with a few different apps, including my banking app, and it's never distorted. So I think there might be something wrong with your lens. Try cleaning it.

Daniel W

• View Profile
QR Code Scanning
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 10:00:51 am »
If you scan other QR codes, with some dedicated barcode scanning app, do you see the same distortion there? If so, there may indeed be something off with your camera hardware, in which case you might have to open a support case and perhaps have your device repaired.

If other apps scans QR codes fine, it would seem the Google messages app might have a problem. If so, you may have to hope for a bug fix from Google.

NormMonkey

• View Profile
QR Code Scanning
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 12:34:49 pm »
You might find that the distortion is due to the rotation.  I've seen this happen in several apps on my Cosmo, including a QR reader app along with other apps.

Have you tried to force-rotate the app when the camera image is distorted?

Jeffers

• View Profile
QR Code Scanning
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 11:18:22 am »
I've logged a bug for this because I'm having similar problems with other apps.

For example, in Telegram, if I try to take a photo within the app, the scaling of the live view is all distorted.

I use another app called Zipgrade that scans test papers, but I can't use it on Cosmo because the camera view is so distorted that I can't get the boxes in the camera view and on the test papers to line up.

In both cases, rotating the screen does nothing to help - sometimes it just makes the distortion even worse.

SwordfishII

• View Profile
QR Code Scanning
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 02:35:29 am »
Quote from: NormMonkey
You might find that the distortion is due to the rotation.  I've seen this happen in several apps on my Cosmo, including a QR reader app along with other apps.

Have you tried to force-rotate the app when the camera image is distorted?

Yes

SwordfishII

• View Profile
QR Code Scanning
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 02:36:25 am »
Quote from: Jeffers

For example, in Telegram, if I try to take a photo within the app, the scaling of the live view is all distorted.

I use another app called Zipgrade that scans test papers, but I can't use it on Cosmo because the camera view is so distorted that I can't get the boxes in the camera view and on the test papers to line up.

In both cases, rotating the screen does nothing to help - sometimes it just makes the distortion even worse.

Same. I'm not super concerned because that is a minor issue to me

Greg T

• View Profile
QR Code Scanning
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 11:08:43 am »
Quote from: SwordfishII
Quote from: Jeffers

Same. I'm not super concerned because that is a minor issue to me

How does one scan a QR code in the first place?
And what do the damned things DO anyway?

KMM

• View Profile
QR Code Scanning
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 12:49:50 pm »

Usually simply by using your camera; one of the things you can do is scanning a QR-code to pay for a purchase on the internet; buy the product, select your bank and choose 'pay by mobile', then scan the code and voila, no need to fill in all the data (bank number, amount, name, etc.).
There are lots of other things you can do with QR-codes, provided the seller makes use of QR-codes; scan the code and go to web sites, scan the code on a menu in a restaurant and order, etc. etc.
IN short, a QR-code is a code that contains all the information for a service you want to use.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 12:52:02 pm by KMM »

Daniel W

• View Profile
QR Code Scanning
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 05:33:55 pm »
Quote from: Greg T
In some smartphones, support for scanning QR codes might be built into the stock camera app. As that is not the case with the Cosmo, you'd need to download an app. There are lots to chose from, some of which may be heavily infested with advertising. Some of the apps has lots of extra features, such as being able to do a web search for the contents of a code. That might be useful if one would scan a barcode in a shop and would like to look for information online.

Personally, I usually just want to know what's in a code. Should there be anything to look up, I prefer to do so myself. Currently I am using the VintaSoft Barcode Scanner, because (1) it's available on Google Play, and is, thus, somewhat vetted by Google, whatever that means, (2) VintaSoft is in the barcode scanning (and creation) business, so they seem likely to know what they're doing, (3) it's free and (4) it's ad free. It has very few "extra" features. It does, however, identify (which means I don't have to tell it what kind of code it is) and read many sorts of barcodes and similar (you may have to enable some of the more obscure ones in the settings, should you want to read those). There is also the VintaSoft Barcode Generator, should you want to create QR/barcodes/etc of your own.

As to what QR codes and similar does, they're a simple way of printing machine readable information on paper, or showing it on a screen. The stripey ones you find in shops (EAN codes) typically just represents a bunch of digits, such as an article number, that the cash register can look up in a database and thus get the price (I'm simplifying a bit here). As those only carries information in the horizontal direction, they're called 1D codes (as in one dimensional).

Codes made of dots, such as QR (Quick Read, by the way), Data Matrix, Aztec code etc, are often called 2D codes. These can contain significantly more information. 2D codes are often used to represent text or numbers, so anything you could say with text, you could say with a 2D code. On principle, each dot, bright or dark, could be one bit, a one or a zero, but to make 2D Codes more robust to damage and read errors, the actual coding of information into a dot pattern, is rather complicated, and exactly how much information fits into a code of a given size (number of dots) depends on how much error correction information is required for any particular application.

While entirely possible to just store a snippet of plain text in a 2D code, usually they're used for things like a web address, which may be easier to scan than to type, or maybe a bit of encrypted data. While you can scan such codes too, the contents will typically just be a string of apparent nonsense, unless you can also decrypt the information, which is a different topic. Examples of 2D codes with encrypted data in them are digital postage stamps (usually based on Data Matrix) or some train tickets (usually based on Aztec code).

As an example, this is a QR Code containing the URL for this forum thread:

Would you like to read more, here's a link to the Wikipedia article on QR Codes:
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

KMM

• View Profile
QR Code Scanning
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 11:17:16 am »
In some smartphones, support for scanning QR codes might be built into the stock camera app.

I guess it's usually built in in the app that you use. If you want to pay for something you use the QR-scanner in your banking app (which, although image is distorted, in my case works on the Cosmo).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 11:38:53 am by KMM »

Daniel W

• View Profile
QR Code Scanning
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 01:09:50 pm »
Quote from: KMM
I guess it's usually built in in the app that you use. If you want to pay for something you use the QR-scanner in your banking app (which, although image is distorted, in my case works on the Cosmo).
Yes, for particular applications, such as paying for things, each such app tends to have their own scanning built in. For reference, when I'm scanning codes with my Cosmo, using the app mentioned above, the codes does not get noticeably distorted, nor does anything get distorted when I'm using the scanning feature in the app from my particular bank.

vldmr

• View Profile
QR Code Scanning
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 11:39:19 pm »
Here is the link with instruction how to use QR code from inside Firefox for android. It does require installation of third party scanner, which is apparently blessed by firefox. Its free and non obtrusive though, I installed it long ago and did not noticed any weasel tricks from it
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 11:40:09 pm by vldmr »

Kathie Lane

• View Profile
Re: QR Code Scanning
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2023, 11:13:46 am »
Scanning QR codes can be an absolute pain, especially in Google Messages. No wonder the cosmos camera is causing some distortion - that's never good! It can be really frustrating not being able to authenticate properly. So, what can you do? Well, if you're feeling ambitious and up for a challenge, Smart Engines SDK offers a neat solution that enables you to access and scan QR codes with virtually any device. Though it can't fix camera distortion, it'll help you access those codes faster and easier. And, no worries about being tech savvy since their platform is super easy to use.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 11:13:58 am by Kathie Lane »

Greg T

• View Profile
Re: QR Code Scanning
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2023, 02:14:12 pm »
QR codes simply DO NOT WORK on or from my Communicator
I have tried pointing the camera at them, pressing the button ... & I get a nice picture of the QR code ... that's it.
Oh well ....