Author Topic: Debian amnesia ...  (Read 1092 times)

LinuxGuy

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 59
    • View Profile
Debian amnesia ...
« on: February 28, 2020, 04:01:27 pm »
 
Hi there

I am exploring "mouseless" my cosmo. I managed to configure my keyboard-layout at the console via : setxkbmap -model planetcosmo -layout de
Also I registered my wifi-password. Everything is lost after reboot - where can I edit these values permanently (with nano)?

Thanks foryour help.

Piece_Maker

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 25
    • View Profile
Debian amnesia ...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 06:37:08 pm »
I can't even figure out how to access the symbol keys... The Fn key acts as a super in Debian so I can't use that to access any of the extra symbols on my number line or the ones on IOP/JKL keys!  

Has anyone figured that part out yet?

ArchiMark

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1806
    • View Profile
Debian amnesia ...
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 09:51:16 pm »
Quote from: Piece_Maker
I can't even figure out how to access the symbol keys... The Fn key acts as a super in Debian so I can't use that to access any of the extra symbols on my number line or the ones on IOP/JKL keys!  

Has anyone figured that part out yet?


Did you read the 'Tips' section within the Debian/KDE section on the PC Linux on Cosmo page?

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

szopin

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 66
    • View Profile
Debian amnesia ...
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 05:46:01 am »
Quote from: LinuxGuy

Hi there

I am exploring "mouseless" my cosmo. I managed to configure my keyboard-layout at the console via : setxkbmap -model planetcosmo -layout de
Also I registered my wifi-password. Everything is lost after reboot - where can I edit these values permanently (with nano)?

Thanks foryour help.
Wifi settings are not lost, it's just by default saved for a given mac which gets randomized on each reboot, in NetworkManager settings for the connection manually clear the field 'Restrict to device' and it should automatically connect after reboot

LinuxGuy

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 59
    • View Profile
Debian amnesia ...
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 01:42:13 pm »
Hello Szopin

Quote from: szopin
Wifi settings are not lost, it's just by default saved for a given mac which gets randomized on each reboot, in NetworkManager settings for the connection manually clear the field 'Restrict to device' and it should automatically connect after reboot

Thanks a lot - works.

Also, if someone would like to get rid of the Kwallet -> installl kwalletmanager -> then you will have a new item in your system preferences about the user account -> there you can deactivate KWallet (and then uninstall kwalletmanager :-) )

Concerning the non-english keyboard layout:

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

paste inside (for a german-de cosmo):
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "keyboard"
        MatchIsKeyboard "yes"
        Option "XkbLayout" "de"
        Option "XkbVariant" "planetcosmo"
EndSection

reboot

smile
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 01:48:33 pm by LinuxGuy »

Piece_Maker

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 25
    • View Profile
Debian amnesia ...
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 12:55:50 pm »
Quote from: ArchiMark
Quote from: Piece_Maker
I can't even figure out how to access the symbol keys... The Fn key acts as a super in Debian so I can't use that to access any of the extra symbols on my number line or the ones on IOP/JKL keys!  

Has anyone figured that part out yet?


Did you read the 'Tips' section within the Debian/KDE section on the PC Linux on Cosmo page?

Mark

I did read it, but switching it to gb keyboard didn't seem to help, until I removed the 'US' keyboard layout from my options and just set it to GB only. Now it all seems to work.  

The WiFi passphrase loss on reboot above worked for me too!  

Now just to get bluetooth and 4G working... hmmm...

lokomoko

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 22
    • View Profile
Debian amnesia ...
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 06:42:46 pm »
Quote from: LinuxGuy
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

paste inside (for a german-de cosmo):
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "keyboard"
        MatchIsKeyboard "yes"
        Option "XkbLayout" "de"
        Option "XkbVariant" "planetcosmo"
EndSection

Thanks for this hint. Works perfectly for user cosmo. For another user I usually login as, it did not work I added that user to all groups cosmo belongs to, but without success. Any ideas?

The
Code: [Select]
setxkbmap -model planetcosmo -layout de
works just fine session-wide for any user's session when issued in a console. I was't successful invoking it from any kind of skript at startup. Neither invoking it from /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ nor putting it into a desktop-file in /etc/skel/.config/autostart/ really seemed to work.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 07:03:27 pm by lokomoko »