Author Topic: Screen tearing after returning from standbymode  (Read 3214 times)

NVDSYPE

• View Profile
Screen tearing after returning from standbymode
« on: March 09, 2020, 02:52:43 pm »
Dear all,

When my CC screen goes in standby mode, and I press on the Esc key, I see some screen tearing for a few seconds. This happens when there is notification for an app or even when an app is open. I have a standard PCB, with a French keyboard layout. Do your CC's have the same behavior? Please mention your PCB and your keyboard layout.

Greetings,
Niels

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 02:57:32 pm »
Quote from: NVDSYPE
Dear all, When my CC screen goes in standby mode, and I press on the Esc key, I see some screen tearing for a few seconds. This happens when there is notification for an app or even when an app is open. I have a standard PCB, with a French keyboard layout. Do your CC's have the same behavior? Please mention your PCB and your keyboard layout.
I do not experience any tearing when waking my Cosmo up. I have a EU/USA PCB, like yours, and a Swedish/Finnish keyboard (shouldn't matter, but anyway). I did some quick tests and doesn't seem to matter if I wait until the Cosmo goes to standby by itself or if I manually turn off the screen, nor does it seem to matter whether I am on the home screen, in some app or whether I have any active notifications. In case it matters, I have my screen timeout set to five minutes (and typically turns the screen off manually when I know I'm done).

Would you by any chance have some app that really doesn't like to be in landscape mode, and thus tries hard to force the screen back to portrait? I've seen some apps flick back and forth between landscape and portrait when starting (can't name any, as they have either been updated or uninstalled). The effect isn't exactly tearing, but among the many other quirks of the Cosmo, that's the closest I think I've seen so far.

NVDSYPE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 04:15:10 am »
Thanks a lot for your reply, and your testing. It happens with any app after I exit from standby mode. I had it with Youtube, Google Chrome (all in landscape mode). It could be also batch related.

Jeffers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 06:53:20 am »
Thanks a lot for your reply, and your testing. It happens with any app after I exit from standby mode. I had it with Youtube, Google Chrome (all in landscape mode). It could be also batch related.

I've experienced the same screen tearing, though it seems to only happen to me when waking the screen from standby (still on the lockscreen). Japanese PCB, US keyboard..

NVDSYPE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 03:19:31 pm »
Quote from: Jeffers

I've experienced the same screen tearing, though it seems to only happen to me when waking the screen from standby (still on the lockscreen). Japanese PCB, US keyboard..

Thanks a lot. I also have the issue during startup when the animation starts. Did you also report it to Planet Computers? I don't know if it is hardware related or it can be solved trouh an update.

Jeffers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 01:22:03 am »
Quote from: Jeffers

Thanks a lot. I also have the issue during startup when the animation starts. Did you also report it to Planet Computers? I don't know if it is hardware related or it can be solved trouh an update.

If I can reliably replicate the problem, I'll report it. I have experienced some odd behaviour with the screen dimming and brightening all by itself, again after booting the device. This made me think something might be up with the hardware, but again, can't replicate it. Only happened a few times.

NVDSYPE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 03:26:47 pm »
Thanks a lot for your reply.For me it happens all the time. I am afraid that by me it is hardware related. By you it might be the light sensor for automatically changing the brightness.

Darfonicus

• View Profile
Re: Screen tearing after returning from standbymode
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 05:27:05 am »
User here, reporting for duty! I do have screen tearing RIGHT after waking the device from standby but it is random, lasts for a micro second and so far doesn't bother me in using the device. More like gives a "cyberpunk" feel to the whole experience.

Zarhan

• View Profile
Re: Screen tearing after returning from standbymode
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 08:59:30 am »
Not sure if this is related, but occasionally I'm witnessing screen becoming garbled - just for a split second. This sometimes happens after each keypress. On other occasions, it doesn't happen at all.

I'm uncertain if this is some software problem, or if this is caused by keypresses causing vibrations on the display connectors or something.

E.g. if I open Firefox and start typing some search terms, it happens. This is only happening on occasion, and I have not really seen a pattern. If it becomes too common, I'll try to record a video (using some other device) and extract the frames.