Author Topic: Cosmo Reboots during Long Phone Call  (Read 3180 times)

jakfish

• View Profile
Cosmo Reboots during Long Phone Call
« on: June 02, 2020, 04:40:36 pm »
Given the general crappy state of the world, I now have to be on long calls with various agencies (US/Tmobile).

Twice this past week, about 20 minutes into a phone call, the screen will go black, the call will disconnect, and the Cosmo will reboot. (Both times, the phone was on speaker)

Do others have this complaint?

Jake
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 04:41:37 pm by jakfish »

Marc Laporte

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 05:57:53 pm »
Yes, since the firmware upgrade.

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 02:28:55 am »
Not with phone calls specifically, but apparently anything that uses audio for longer periods. E.g. listening to internet radio in browser causes reboot after 1 hour or so.

Memory leak somewhere.

Running V20, and it's now been a month since the V22 was promised.

Should have gotten that refund on the Astro.

smallbrain

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 06:58:15 am »
Quote from: jakfish
Given the general crappy state of the world, I now have to be on long calls with various agencies (US/Tmobile).

Twice this past week, about 20 minutes into a phone call, the screen will go black, the call will disconnect, and the Cosmo will reboot. (Both times, the phone was on speaker)

Do others have this complaint?

Jake

Yes, used to happen with Gemini too!
And still I funded Astro....

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 09:42:34 am »
Thank you for the unfortunate confirmations. Thinking back, yeah, I guess that did happen with my Gemini, but that was a time when I wasn't on the phone as much, or as long, so the issue wasn't as pressing.

I'm weary of the hardware problems, both mine and others'. I hope that new firmware will solve them, and I'm relieved that I passed on the Astro.

Jake

Tom D

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 10:26:44 am »
I long ago determined the Cosmo wasn't suitable as a phone. It is a nice mini Linux laptop, but only after suspend/resume works. Right now, it is on my nightstand waiting for Linux to work.

And, yes I backed the Astro. In this case, though, it looks like it may actually work as a phone, and still provide a physical keyboard. Here's hoping!

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 03:45:48 pm »
Quote from: Tom D
I long ago determined the Cosmo wasn't suitable as a phone.
For my needs, the Cosmo works pretty well as a phone and general small Android computer. However, as software developer, my tolerance for beta-quality software may be quite high at times. I even had a Motorola A920 for a couple of years, once upon a time. That was a truly a mess, that never got fixed.

I also backed the Astro. As that form factor won't need a CoDi and should be able run things in portrait mode much easier, I think it can be fairly nice, if their factory partners actually manages to mass produce reliable RockUp sliders. Their prototypes looks quite ok, which they should after, probably, fiddling with them for hundreds of hours. The real test will be to see whether their factory can reliably churn out multiple thousands of them. So, as you said, here's hoping! Cheers.

PJS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 10:46:33 am »
Hi,

Quote from: jakfish

I consistently had this problem all along on the Gemini,
specifically during speakerphone calls when the Gem screen
went to sleep.  If I keep the phone awake, it didn't crash.

I reported this and firmware updates never fixed it.   :/

OTOH, it doesn't happen on my Cosmo, but I didn't install
the last firmware update.

I also play audio a lot on my Cosmo.  It plays hours of MP3
files on the SD card with no problems.  I also stream
online radio and I can't say I recall consistent crashes.

But then I've also tried many different audio apps, these
days I find VLC is the only one that can handle a large
library without crashes, etc.

Thanks,

PJS