Author Topic: Making Linux more mobile friendly  (Read 1812 times)

Zarhan

• View Profile
Making Linux more mobile friendly
« on: May 30, 2023, 04:45:20 am »
Hello,

I've been playing out a bit with the Gemian, and it's default desktop environment (which is Plasma&KDE).

I have to say that the experience, is, frankly quite crappy. I use Plasma on my laptop and desktop and it is great with larger screen, but not really geared for mobile and touchscreen.

Any suggestion on a more mobile-friendly (meaning: Small touchscreen, no mouse) desktop environment? I guess I could just use Fluxbox if all else fails, but right now trying to select the undersizes icons is intolerable.

(Frankly, I'm now trying to figure out something usable to do with the Cosmo. With Astro in hand, it's kind of redundant. Because the HDMI out is crap (fixed resolution), it's not easy to use this as a living room PC either...)

jakfish

• View Profile
Re: Making Linux more mobile friendly
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 11:53:06 am »
Though my Gem and Cosmo are long-retired due to the lack of reasonably-priced replacement batteries, your screen complaints ring a bell.

I now own a PinePhone/keyboard and have the same issues (though reversed--the icons are too large).

I just keystroked everything, from apps to wifi toggle, then printed out all the combos onto a mailing label and stuck that to the Cosmo bottom for reference. The rub with the Cosmo is that the Alt key as sole modifier doesn't work (eg: Alt + W = Libreoffice Writer). You have to combine it with Control or Shift key (if I'm remembering correctly). Gemini Gemian does not have the Alt-only issue.

I'm sure such an approach has already crossed your mind, but it's the only one I could come up with, and I already use keystroking on every Linux machine, regardless of size. It's simply faster.

Jake