Author Topic: Fast charging port  (Read 2369 times)

Yev

• View Profile
Fast charging port
« on: March 26, 2021, 11:20:22 am »
Hi

Basic question but I can't find my manual and can't recall which is the fast charging port on the Cosmo please - is it the one on the left or the one on the right?

Thank you very much.

Zarhan

• View Profile
Re: Fast charging port
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 11:40:27 am »
The one on the left and it only supports Pump Express (Mediatek proprietary). So be careful what you plug in there. I tried my wife's Samsung Galaxy charger which uses a different standard and I could hear the capacitors do beatboxing...

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 08:07:30 pm »
One shouldn't need to be all that careful about what to plug in. The only thing that should happen when a charger and a device doesn't support the same fast charging standard, is that the charger should stick to the standard USB specification and stay at 5Volt.

That's why I can safely plug my (up to) 130W Dell USB-C charger (it's a powered docking station for a laptop, to be precise) into my Cosmo, and it will even work, though at 5V ~10W, with no fast charging. Only when that charger gets the secret handshake from a Dell laptop, will it kick the voltage up to 19.5V and allow 6.7A (which is beyond the USB PD standard, but that's how Dell did it).

FWIW, I have charged both my Gemini and Cosmo with various Samsung chargers many times. While the device, of course, wouldn't fast charge, it charged just fine. There is, of course, always the possibility that some chargers, especially off-brand models, might not follow the standards properly, so applying a bit of common sense is typically beneficial.

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 10:49:49 pm »
I do believe I have gotten at least close to the same charge as from the Planets charger from some of my Lenovo tablet chargers...

Haven't really measured it, but seem to remember it taking about the same time as on the Planet charger on the left port, the few times I've used them.

On a similar note: My Cosmo seemed to be a bit picky with the charge after last update (to version 25): I was charging (or at least trying to) with the Planet charger on the left port, and it was cycling trough charging and not charging for a while. Unplugging and plugging it in again seemed to fix it the first time. The second time it seemed to charge, but was actually draining charge with the charger plugged in... A reboot seems to finally having fixed the issues, at least for now. I also seem to remember something similar with the Gemini and/or the Cosmo earlier too after an upgrade, and do think it was a reboot that fixed it then too...

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 05:14:44 am »
One shouldn't need to be all that careful about what to plug in. The only thing that should happen when a charger and a device doesn't support the same fast charging standard, is that the charger should stick to the standard USB specification and stay at 5Volt.

Yes, it *should*, but for some reason it seems not to. Maybe it's because the Pump Express is, as far as I know, based on some draft version of USB-PD or something. Maybe it tries to negotiate something, and gets a partial success, starts charging, and then runs into some error.

All I know is that on that one trip when I forgot my charger at home I only dared to plug wife's charger to the *right* port on the Cosmo since it only supports the standard USB charge and the funny capacitor sounds do not occur there, because negotiation was not an issue.

IK6yae0s

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 02:23:57 am »
It's on the left side and can charge also if the phone is off.
On right it will only charge if phones os is started.
I found I can use both ports at the same time if the phone is started and then it will charge with more current. By the way if the phone is in off state it could be a problem to try to charge at both ports because then it is possible as long right port is used the power supplies will be switching off like a short circuit situation.

I found this because I use on the left side port a 5W Qi-Pad to charge my CC to safe my USB-C port from damage and can still use the right port for the hdmi connector.