Author Topic: Keyboard stops working  (Read 2566 times)

csaunders

• View Profile
Keyboard stops working
« on: February 16, 2022, 04:53:00 pm »
All, I'm having a re-occurring bug that I can't work out (1) What's the sequence of events that triggers it and (2) What's the method to stop it from re-occurring.

I'm not sure if this is a h/w bug (unlikely), an Android bug (more likely), or related to a specific app (most likely) hence I've posted in the general forum....

Symptom: Open up Cosmo, h/w keyboard not responding in any app. Workaround: Reboot device by holding down the [esc] key

Clearly the keyboard is working fine as it always works on reboot, it's some sort of software bug but I can't work out if it's happening on wake when I open the clam shell as it only happens once a day (I don't restart my device unless I have too and will leave it on with clam closed for as long as I can).

Suspicions: (1) It's on wake / sleep when I close the clam whilst using a specific app that doesn't cope well, (2) Its related to MS Word (which was running when the bug occurred this morning) (3) It's still searching for my bluetooth keyboard that's at work whilst I'm at home and it's got it's knickers in a twist.... (4) It's related to some other factor I've not yet discovered.

Any one else got this annoying bug and can shed any light?

p.s. I'm running the standard cosmo Android 9 build v22 single o/s boot.

gymbo

• View Profile
Re: Keyboard stops working
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 02:25:15 am »
I've got this problem sometimes as well, but don't think it has happened more than 4-5 times in the last 6 months... It is a bit annoying, but like you say, a reboot fixes it. (The first time it happened, I was worried that something was seriously wrong hardware-wise, and the keyboard had stopped working altogether...)

I run V25, and do not use Microsoft apps (I use other office-apps/suits).

I've also got another intermittent bug, that I think might be related: Sometimes, when the phone reboots on it's own, the keyboard doesn't work when typing the SIM-code (but it usually works for the password). Of course that might be (or PROBABLY is) because the "driver" for the keyboard is not loaded yet. But it seems to be something similar when it STOPS working as well: The "keyboard-driver" crashes?? Why it happens, or what causes it, I have no idea, but I can at least confirm that I sometimes experience the same behavior...

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 08:50:22 am »
Like Gymbo, I am also on V25 (stock, single boot, never rooted) and it happens to me too, though a bit more often, a few times a month, I'd say.

As for your suspicions, I think:

(1) Partly, maybe. While it seems to mostly happen when I wake my Cosmo up (usually by taking it out of its slipcase), I think it may happen randomly, but I won't notice until I wake the Cosmo up. I have had it happen while using the Cosmo (it's especially disturbing when I need to look up or write down something during a phone call). I mostly use Jota+ and Firefox, but, if at all app related, I'd suspect some system app.

(2) Unlikely. While I do have Word installed, I hardly ever use it, and if I do, it's just to very briefly glance at some Word document. Almost all my document editing on the Cosmo is plain text.

(3) Unlikely. I keep Bluetooh off, except when tranfering files, once in a while. I have briefly used external Bluetooth keyboards with the Cosmo, mostly to see if they worked (anyone wants an old Lenovo KT-1255 keyboard?), but I have seen no link between Bluetooh and this keyboard issue.

(4) I think so. I suspect it may be the Planet keyboard driver crashing and not restarting, until I reboot.

I can, however, only back that up by my general observation that the Planet software (their own and from their "industry partner") running on our devices, seems to be of lesser quality and stability than Android in general, and as it doesn't seem to matter which apps I may run, I am suspecting a Planet system app in general and their keyboard driver in particular.

Just like you, I have neither found a way to stop it from occurring nor any other remedy than rebooting. Non-root suggestions are more than welcome. I have tried simple things like enabling and disabling the on-screen keyboard or mucking about with basic keyboard settings. I haven't tried changing the layout to something else and back since I doubt it would work and, at least a few firmwares back, a reboot tended to be easier.

Finally, during boot, my keyboard can act up a bit too, dropping characters from my long-ish password or (quite often) ignoring Enter on the first try. Rather than the driver crashing at that point, I think Android just has too much going on to really be able to cater for real-time stuff, like the user.

I base that suspicion, on the phone of my spouse, a really slow (also MediaTek-based) Nokia 1, which, during boot, clearly struggles with its on screen keyboard and (previously) even its startup chime. Both the Cosmo and the Nokia 1 are using (by modern standards) slow eMMC storage, so I guess, it might be an I/O bottleneck during boot, but that shouldn't crash the keyboard once system is up and running.

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 06:54:50 pm »
Like Gymbo, I am also on V25 (stock, single boot, never rooted) and it happens to me too, though a bit more often, a few times a month, I'd say.

As for your suspicions, I think:

(1) Partly, maybe. While it seems to mostly happen when I wake my Cosmo up (usually by taking it out of its slipcase), I think it may happen randomly, but I won't notice until I wake the Cosmo up. I have had it happen while using the Cosmo (it's especially disturbing when I need to look up or write down something during a phone call). I mostly use Jota+ and Firefox, but, if at all app related, I'd suspect some system app.

I am also quite certain that I too HAVE experienced that the keyboard has stopped working AFTER it was woken up: I was in one app, and the keyboard worked as it should, and then suddenly it stopped working. So I don't really think it is related to waking the phone up, but like Daniel suggest; that is usually when you NOTICE that it has happened...

Radovan Garabík

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2022, 03:36:03 am »
It happened to me today, for the first time - and I use Cosmo daily, since I got it for several months ago.
The symptoms are exactly the same, I opetned some app  and  suddenly keyboard ws not working. I was able to display software keyboard and with the help of it force-stop every system application in hope restarting them would help, but no results. Holding Esc worked though and popped out restart dialogue and I could restart the Cosmo.

I am no aware of anything beyond ordinary, I just (reluctantly)  installed some apps yesterday (Bolt Food, to be pricese). And I have automatic updatees off and Google Play Store disabled.