Author Topic: Cosmo Communicator Linux Debian v4 firmware installation help  (Read 31442 times)

caeleron

• View Profile
Cosmo Communicator Linux Debian v4 firmware installation help
« on: January 11, 2023, 08:17:15 pm »
Hello!

I am trying to install Linux Debian v4 for the Cosmo Communicator. I've followed the instructions at https://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/Linux_for_Cosmo, but various attempts to load the firmware have failed.

When trying to use the SD Card method they provide, the following message appears when selecting the 'Install Custom OS on your COSMO' option:
Code: [Select]
Supported API: 3
Detecting custom installers, please wait...
E:/bin/sh failed with status 127
Can't find custom installers in SD card - Error 127!
Error:Error: can't open error log file!

Noticing that the firmware was outdated (It shipped with firmware version 19.6 and CoDi version 13), I attempted to update the firmware with the pre-installed Android OS via Settings->System->Wireless Update. However, it is listing that the version it shipped with is the latest version despite several locations on the support site saying that version 25 is the latest. I tried to manually install the latest firmware with the image provided here: https://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/Latest_Cosmo_Firmware. Recovery Mode did not recognize any of the files provided in the firmware zip as valid firmware updates when going through the 'Apply update through SD Card' menu.

When selecting the 'Apply update through ADB' option, sending the zip file with either the android firmware update or the debian install gives the same message:
Code: [Select]
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:footer is wrong
Update package verification took 0.1 s (result 1)
E:Signature verification failed
E:error: 21
E:Failed to open driver control: No such file or directory
Installation aborted.

I did see the post here: https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?topic=36822.0, but it didn't cover the actually firmware flashing process, so I'm still stuck.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

wiml

• View Profile
Re: Cosmo Communicator Linux Debian v4 firmware installation help
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 01:10:25 am »
I'm not sure if it's the same issue, but when installing the firmware via sd card I had to be sure that the card was unpartitioned ... not even a single DOS partition covering the whole device, but just mkfs.fat directly on the sd card device.

flamehaze

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 09:20:47 pm »
Is there a tool that would help format the SD card that way?
I have spent hours formatting different SD cards trying to resolve the same issue.  Every time I get that it can't find custom installers in SD card - Error 127!

On the website's support, it says to just use the files application to extract the files. I've had the android side format it for both android extension and for file storage with the same results.  From my linux desktop, I have tried formatting it with fat32 with a single partition.  As well as trying to use Rufus to format it as well

There must be a "simple" instruction for getting a SD card prepped to make this work.

flamehaze

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 06:59:51 am »
I also wanted to add that it does mount the sd card. I can see the folder when I select the option to install custom firmware.
So there must be something off with either the folder or the contents. I've redownloaded the linux zip on different files and their md5 always checked out before I tried

flamehaze

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 10:18:42 am »
I gave up trying v4 and downloaded v3 instead.  V3 was recognized and was running the custom installer.  I don't know what is wrong with v4.

wyzellak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 05:18:41 am »
I just got a new Cosmo Communicator (the 30% off for the JP keyboard version was a really good way to convince me, PlanetCom  ;D ).
I spent most of the evening I got it trying to install Linux, and it was... clunky. I suppose it must've been easier for the users who had got the device closer to the release date, and had received the OTA updates in time.
Anyway - here's what I've done.

• Booted up the device as is.
    • Neither CODI nor System Updates couldn't find any updates available.
    • Both reported that the device OS is current
    • Even though the device arrives with v19 (v25 being current?)
  • Formatted an SD card in the Cosmo's Android tools.
    • I chose "portable data", since "extend phone memory" doesn't create a separate mountpoint later on.
  • Opened the SD card on my PC.
    • Shows up as MBR with one partition taking the whole space.
    • W95 FAT32 (LBA) - 0x0C - in GNOME Disks.
  • Dropped in the contents of v23 ZIP into the root directory of the SDCard.
    • That should form a directory structure like this: (sdcard_root)/cosmo-customos-installer/v23/system.img
    • I used v23, since v25 full image download is nowhere to be found.
    • Only the rooted android installer is available, which depends on v25 being there already.
  • Rebooted Cosmo into recovery, Recovery doesn't see V23 install folders.
    • I tried using Debian (Gemian) v4 image from Cosmo, recovery menu didn't see it either.
    • tried a dozen different directory/path combinations, but that's not where the problem lies.
    • the recovery program that arrives with Cosmo is old and can't see 'new style' software updates.
  • Downloaded v22 (https://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/Cosmo_Android_Firmware_Manual_Installation), dumped onto SD card like before.
    • removed the v23 installer folder from the SD card first, since both ZIPs contain exactly the same folder, "cosmo-customos-installer"
  • Installed v22 from recovery with success!
    • that also updates the recovery to be able to see 'new style' installers, which will be important to us in a moment
    • booted Android (v22) for the first time for good measure. Unsure if this step is necessary.
  • Removed v22 installer from the SD card (don't need it anymore), added v23 installer.
  • Rebooted to recovery
  • v23 shows up as an installation candidate.
    • Installed successfully!
    • Booted once for good measure.
    • Afterwards, if you reboot to recovery, v23 installer on SD card shows up as "reinstall v23" - smart thing knows it's running v23 already ;)
  • Removed v23 installer, added Debian v4 installer to SD card.
  • Repartitioned the device (90GB for Linux, 30GB for Android).
    • No install yet.
    • Rebooted and made sure Android still works. It does!
    • Also, v23 can finally communicate with CODI update servers. Flashing it is easy, but fails a lot. Look up the threads about CODI first to know what you're in for.
  • Yet another reboot, praying that I don't break the hinge by holding Volume Up on the cover + ESC on keyboard.
  • Recovery menu, Install Debian v4
    • Installed successfully! Doesn't take long, fortunately.
    • Also, configures your bootloader so that you get a choice between Android and Debian on startup. Neat.

TL;DR:

Update incrementally from v19 to v22, then from v22 to v23.
This will give the recovery menu the ability to read 'new' OS image formats.
Remember to always unpack ZIPs carefully into a clean SD card root (do not merge two install zips into one folder).
Once on v23, repartition the device, reboot, and install Debian v4 from the SD card.

BTW, does anyone know where can I get Android v25 update? That still doesn't show up for me as OTA.

rigid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2023, 12:34:12 pm »
BTW, does anyone know where can I get Android v25 update? That still doesn't show up for me as OTA.

I has write to support about it, and this is answer:

We're sorry to hear about the issue with firmware updates. We have escalated the matter to management as this affects all devices at the moment. We will update you once we have a solution.