Author Topic: Mandrake+SagemFast800+Z=holly sh*t!!!  (Read 3377 times)

alan

• View Profile
Mandrake+SagemFast800+Z=holly sh*t!!!
« on: May 24, 2004, 05:37:46 pm »
hi!

Here is my pb:
- I can connect to my c750 via ssh from my mdk 10.0 official through usb.
- I can connect to the internet fromp my mdk even though i have a sagem fast 800 usb modem (works on mdk10.0 but with difficulties on 9.2).
- BUT every time i want to share my connection with the grafical tool, i lose my internet connection !!!

Does ANYONE know how to solve this pb ?

Thanks.

alan

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 01:27:23 pm »
... no one... I would have guessed it...

g0dless

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 02:01:47 pm »
hmm

seems you just need to set up some iptables rules

tz

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 02:09:59 pm »
I have no idea what an \"mdk 10.0 official\" is, nor what you are really trying to do or what you have (other than the Z and the USB Modem on some kind of computer If I interpret the too few words correctly).  I have no idea how any \"grafical tool\" (like GIMP?) could be used to share any internet connection, normally you need some kind of proxy or network configuration program, or probably using iptables and NAT (network address translation).

pb is lead and there are many solvents that would work to dissolve lead, but that is for a chemistry site.  I and others might be able to solve your problem more easily if you would state it in standard english.

alan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 03:49:31 pm »
i am really sorry about my englsh, dear tz. I posted this very late at night, so i admitt it is not as clear as it should be.

Let\'s do it once more.

I have a zaurus sl c750 and i can connect it to my linux box, a Mandrake 10.0 Official (not a Community release, this one is for members only*) via usb and ssh works just fine.

My desktop computer accesses to the Internet by a Sagem Fast 800 USB modem which is known to get linux users to troubles...

Mandrake has a \'graphical tool\' (i.e. no need for command lines, for pathetic newbies like me...) that is called Drakshare. It is meant to share an internet connection.

When i ask it to share my internet connection with the Z (i.e. zaurus), my internet connection crashes. That is it.

I am really unconfortable with command lines even though i am learning little by little. That is why i would really need a step by step help. The how-tos on the zg are great, but they don\'t deal with my config (usb modem) so i am not sure i\'m doing things well...

Dear gOdless : can you precise your thought ?

g0dless

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 04:52:53 pm »
Dear alan sir,

I can\'t give you a precise command line but I can give you some hints.

first you will need to know what interfaces you have, so run \"ifconfig\" as root, it will list the interfaces by name. I have \"eth0, eth1 and lo\", I think you should get something like ppp0, usbnet? and lo.

next step is to make an iptables rule so use \"man iptables\" and some google searches for NAT-HOWTO, basically something like this (from the NAT-HOWTO):

# Load the NAT module (this pulls in all the others).
modprobe iptable_nat

# In the NAT table (-t nat), Append a rule (-A) after routing
# (POSTROUTING) for all packets going out ppp0 (-o ppp0) which says to
# MASQUERADE the connection (-j MASQUERADE).
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

# Turn on IP forwarding
echo 1 ] /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

sounds complex but it really isn\'t, just try a few permutations and you will strike gold soon, if my z arrives soon I will post a better example

alan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2004, 10:38:04 am »
Hello...

Iy\'s been months now that i am trying... I\'m beginning to be hopeless... My Z never went on the web, snif-snif... I\'ll try on mut if anyone has a configuration like mine, pllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease help meeeeeeee !!!!

Thank you anyway, gOdless.

zmiq2

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2004, 03:45:02 pm »
Hi Alan,

I have seen your prob, and I\'m facing the same here, also with a c750. I cannot respond right now (I must coach my 2yo son to bed), but I\'m sure get into this in a couple of days; I remember I once had it working, but after some systems upgrade in my desktop, now it\'s not working anymore.

Stay tuned!
sl-c750, archos av580, socket cf [bt, wifi, modem], noname cf lan, audiovox rtm800 gsm-gprs cf, rom: sharp -> oz3.5.3 -> cacko -> oz3.5.4.1

alan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 04:05:21 pm »
Dear zmiq2, have you been able to make it ?
I still haven't. I'm now looking at a eagle driver pb (this is the name of the driver for sagem fast x00 serie).
Can you help me?