What do you think of the new board?

Like it.
38 (76%)
Dont like it.
10 (20%)
Zug now sucks becuase of it.
2 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: New board.  (Read 14590 times)

bluedevils

• View Profile
    • http://
New board.
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2004, 11:27:16 am »
view new posts work great for me, but the feature that I like the most is to view who is reading what threads.  It is benificial to see someone within a thread and know that you might get a quick response to a post.  It is the single thing I missed most about the devnet site.
I'm now an iphone user and use my zaurii as serial terminals, perl and shell scripting and when I need 640x480 screens

sl-c3100/pda cacko 1.23 | sl-6000l/needs battery | sl-c760/server pdaxrom rc12 | Former sl-5500/tkcrom owner (sister's birthday gift)

Hrw

• View Profile
New board.
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2004, 12:30:18 pm »
New forum is nicer then old but takes more space on screen ;(

Now I cannot say which forum I prefer - have to use this new one for few days - maybe then I can decide.
OpenZaurus 3.5.4x Release Manager
OpenEmbedded, Ångström, Poky developer
My website

Misc embedded hardware.

padishah_emperor

• View Profile
New board.
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2004, 02:26:51 pm »
As I said on another thread, it's growing on me but I would pay MONEY for the old site, it just worked and worked well, I don't really see any benefit of the new one from a user's point of view (me).

I cannot, and I've spent hours looking, do the kind of things I did before, it just doesn't work or work as well for me.

I cannot find my postings, I liked to go through older topics and update them etc. I can't do that now. The fun stuff like Flame Wars, I cannot find. 10 postings isn't enough, I've done over 200 now, I want to see them.

I don't like the 'Report' button, I don't like the spirit of it. In fact, I have a major dislike of it.

The My Assistant thing is no good for me, I like to surf from my Z, dillo, firefox, konqueror/embedded and konquerior on my Debian all seem to have problems with it, if 'My Assistant' is the only window open for example, my clicking(or tapping) while screaming holy murder does nothing, I have to quit ZUG and start all over.

I've seen a number of older posts that I've been to before, and the
tags are visible instead of actually working.

The fact that the most recent posts are not on the main screen anymore is a real PITA.

I appreciate the work offroadgeek has put in, but there is an old saying I like "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", I don't think ZUG was broken to be honest, certainly not enough to warrant this kind of dramatic change.  It's pretty with the blue skin, sure, but XP is pretty, and those who know me a bit now, know what I think of XP.  That's my view anyway, not being ungrateful, I just don't like change when it's not needed.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 02:47:57 pm by padishah_emperor »
Left Linux and Linux PDAs... sorry, got boring.  Switched to Mac.

clofland

• View Profile
    • http://www.lofland.net/
New board.
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2004, 02:45:24 pm »
I hate to say much, because maybe I am too easy to please.

I liked the old one, and I like this one too.

I go for the content. All of the old posts are still here and as long as everyone keeps talking, then I'm happy!

Honestly, it is hard for me to remember what was different.  

The "View New Posts" is very cool. I am afraid I was in the habbit of just refeshing the front page several times a day, but I think this page is much better for that.
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']C-760 pdaXrom 1.1.0beta3[/span]
- Sandisk UltraII 1GB SD card - Socket LP CF LAN card - Socket LP CF WLAN card - Socket CF Bluetooth Card Rev H -

markw

• View Profile
    • http://xwebnet.com/
New board.
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2004, 03:25:53 pm »
OffRoadGeek,

A bit of constructive critcism, The poll has a choice called ZUG SUCKS NOW....so I don't thnk that EVERY person realizes (Especially Josh) how insulting that was to simply cast/create that vote....I would imagine it was more of a tongue in cheek poll answer.

We all appreciate you, even if some of us vote for ZUG SUCKS NOW.  New versions always suck, and mainly becuase you did such a great job before and we all have grown to hate devnet, which this site is now a reminder.

You are appreciated.   By the way, I HIGHLY recommend becoming an Amazon Affiliate.  I think I speak for us all when I say we would use your link for all our amazon  purchases...it's too bad that it wasn't there already becuase I just bought a $1500 projection TV.

Paypal costs people, but Amazon costs us nothing and gives you cash in your pocket...Start now and be ready for the back to school and Christmas/Hannahkah (sp?) season.

PS(Report to Moderator doesn't work either).
OffRoadGeek gets paid a few cents for every google add clicked on. however if the same ip adress clicks on it to many times it wont count any of the clicks.
Zaurus sl-5500 with Sharp ROM version 3.1
128mb sd card, 2 16mb cf cards
Slackware Linux 10.0 with Kernel 2.6.7

Please visit my webblog. Be sure to post a few comments while your there :).
http://xwebnet.com/

offroadgeek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://www.oesf.org
New board.
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2004, 07:09:46 pm »
As I said on another thread, it's growing on me but I would pay MONEY for the old site, it just worked and worked well, I don't really see any benefit of the new one from a user's point of view (me).
That's interesting... from looking at the posts where people raised issues with the old forum (in the Suggestions/Feedback forum) there were some (IMO) pretty significant issues that kept coming up... for instance:

1.  problem with unread posts / this issue we know all to much about... and this has been resolved with the new forum
2.  search failures / this was another bug in phpbb, and again this was resolved in the new forum
3.  Extended "Last Forum Posts" & "Recent Pos / this was my biggest problem with the recent posts block in the old forum... it was based on a point in time, not a reference to the new posts since your last visit... this  feature is the same as the "View New Posts" link in this forum.  

I cannot, and I've spent hours looking, do the kind of things I did before, it just doesn't work or work as well for me.

I cannot find my postings, I liked to go through older topics and update them etc. I can't do that now. The fun stuff like Flame Wars, I cannot find. 10 postings isn't enough, I've done over 200 now, I want to see them.

I don't like the 'Report' button, I don't like the spirit of it. In fact, I have a major dislike of it.

The My Assistant thing is no good for me, I like to surf from my Z, dillo, firefox, konqueror/embedded and konquerior on my Debian all seem to have problems with it, if 'My Assistant' is the only window open for example, my clicking(or tapping) while screaming holy murder does nothing, I have to quit ZUG and start all over.
To find your postings, either do a quick search on your name, or click on your name in a post, and use the link to search all posts by your name.

The report button is actually a nice way for someone to report an obnoxious person/post to the moderators, without having to send a PM to each of the moderators with a link to the individual post.  I like this feature, and I know that you have previously reported issues with specific posts in the old forum... so I don't understand you not liking "the spirit of it".

I'll check into the My Assistant thing... I honestly haven't tried the new forums on my 760.. maybe others can check to see if they have the same issue.

I appreciate the work offroadgeek has put in, but there is an old saying I like "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", I don't think ZUG was broken to be honest, certainly not enough to warrant this kind of dramatic change.  It's pretty with the blue skin, sure, but XP is pretty, and those who know me a bit now, know what I think of XP.  That's my view anyway, not being ungrateful, I just don't like change when it's not needed.
As I pointed out above... the old forum was broke... so I proposed a solution to fix it by changing to this IPB forum.  I didn't see a single post from you with feedback about this potential change in the two weeks that I had the test forum up.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 07:10:26 pm by offroadgeek »
Search the OESF Wiki
C1000 w/Cacko 1.23 beta (from Streamline) / 760 pdaxrom rc9 / 6000L (thanks Santa's elf!) / 5500 - OZ 3.3.5 / SIMpad SL4
1GB, 256mb SanDisk CF / 2x 1GB, 512mb, 256mb, 128mb SanDisk SD
Ambicom WL100C-CF wifi / Socket 56k CF modem / AmbiCom BT2000-CF (x2)
Pocketop keyboard, Piel Frama case (1000 & 5500), PDAir case (760 & 1000)
sip:536093@fwd.pulver.com
| OESF | ELSI | Zaurus User Group | ZaurusThemes |

Zuber

• View Profile
    • http://www.shirtpocket.co.uk
New board.
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2004, 07:36:11 pm »
There were a number of annoying bugs in the old forum. We use IB on our site as well. But only as a flexible FAQ.

A little tricky I know, but if you could change the colour scheme a little more, so that the blue headings are the same colour as heading on the main zug pages then it would look a little more "integrated".

Purely cosmetic, totally insignificant. But thought I'd mension it, since it helps make it look slicker.

Also :

OffRoadGeek gets paid a few cents for every google add clicked on. however if the same ip adress clicks on it to many times it wont count any of the clicks.

Good Job and all !!!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 07:38:14 pm by Zuber »
Zuber
ShirtPocket Ltd.
www.shirtpocket.co.uk

zxerx

• View Profile
New board.
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2004, 10:52:04 pm »
Nice work offroadgeek - there are quite a few nice features with the new board - the "My Assistant" is great, and being able to get a comprehensive listing of all the recent posts is gold. I miss the quick reply box at the end of each page though.

Can I request that you install some more skins - neither of the two current are particularly appealing for me.

Thanks.
[span style=\'font-size:7pt;line-height:100%\']Zaurus SL-C760 :: pdaXrom 1.0.5 :: Toshiba 512Mb SD :: Hagiwara 256Mb 10Mbit/s SD :: PQI 256Mb 40x CF :: Socket Low Power 10Mb/s Ethernet CF :: Seano WiFi CF :: Xircom 56k Modem CF[/span]

padishah_emperor

• View Profile
New board.
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2004, 11:24:49 pm »
I didn't see a single post from you with feedback about this potential change in the two weeks that I had the test forum up.
I didn't know anything about it, I only found out when the forum changed, I'm a regular and if I missed it, some others probably did too.

One comment though, I don't see any way to add an image attachment to a message (i.e. for a screenshot), am I just missing it?   As I said before, it's growing on me, I like it far more today than I did yesterday.

(Need the evil and twisted emoticons back)
Left Linux and Linux PDAs... sorry, got boring.  Switched to Mac.

dh

• View Profile
New board.
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2004, 11:42:22 pm »
One comment though, I don't see any way to add an image attachment to a message (i.e. for a screenshot), am I just missing it?   As I said before, it's growing on me, I like it far more today than I did yesterday.
You can post an impage using the HTML tags, but it looks as though it has to be hosted somewhere. I also don't see where an image can just be uploaded with the post, although I'm sure it can.

Like you, I'm getting to like the new board more. I'm using the Slate one and it's really growing on me. I do miss the new posts box on the front page, but the "My Assistant" feature is nice.

Then again, it was the content, rather than the layout, that made the old forum so good and I'm sure that isn't going to change.
C860, Cacko Elena ROM
Cheers!
David

amrein

• View Profile
New board.
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2004, 04:33:12 am »
Faster, lighter, I like the new forum.
I got used to the old appearance but this was just an habit. Only conquerors and most young people addapt very quickly to changes. Most other need to take time to understand what they win and what they loose with new changes. They complain when things evolve and complain when they are back but they never bring anything to the community.

The 3 things I would like to see is:

_ Merge of banners on top to gain room (when displayed on 640*480 for example...)
_ Addition of Zaurus User Group main links (4 links) with the ZUG logo on top (tabs, like on Qtopia, and with the same color as the corresponding section)
_ merging of FAQ/Howto in wiki (but this one is not forum related)

fpp

• View Profile
New board.
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2004, 01:52:16 pm »
I'm OK with the switch myself. Some habits to change, but nothing much.

My pet peeve is with the Invision Power Board software itself, not ZUG : all the (many) forum sites that use it have the same usability problem for me.

IPB has a great many useful features, but with one basic, simple, glaring omission : it doesn't seem to have a 'next page' link to easily move forward through topics that have many posts, like most other boards do.

I find it a hassle to aim at the tiny page number between the braces to do that, and it also means you can't use the nice keyboard navigation features of Mozilla/Firefox/etc.

Then again maybe it's right there under my nose, but I can't see it ;-)

offroadgeek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://www.oesf.org
New board.
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2004, 06:59:30 pm »
I miss the quick reply box at the end of each page though.
I've just enabled quick reply in all of the forums.  To use this feature, when reading a post/thread, simply click the "Fast Reply" button at the bottom (between the Add Reply and New Topic buttons) and a little box will appear allowing you to do a quick reply.

Hope this helps.

offroadgeek
Search the OESF Wiki
C1000 w/Cacko 1.23 beta (from Streamline) / 760 pdaxrom rc9 / 6000L (thanks Santa's elf!) / 5500 - OZ 3.3.5 / SIMpad SL4
1GB, 256mb SanDisk CF / 2x 1GB, 512mb, 256mb, 128mb SanDisk SD
Ambicom WL100C-CF wifi / Socket 56k CF modem / AmbiCom BT2000-CF (x2)
Pocketop keyboard, Piel Frama case (1000 & 5500), PDAir case (760 & 1000)
sip:536093@fwd.pulver.com
| OESF | ELSI | Zaurus User Group | ZaurusThemes |

ScottYelich

• View Profile
    • http://www.zaurususergroup.com/modules.php?opmodload&namephpWiki&filei
New board.
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2004, 07:47:15 pm »
The new forum will take you to the last message you read in
each forum -- not by time/date -- so you don't have to read
the entire site at each visit!  Nevermind that the last-read
broke down completely under the old forum.

I don't care about avatars,  animatios, whirlydohickies, etc.
I like to follow threads and read posts.  This software works
well.

Scott

markw

• View Profile
    • http://xwebnet.com/
New board.
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2004, 11:42:38 pm »
On a side not, there is a thing in my control panel on the forum a thing called "purchase paid subscription". It sounds kind cool. Will this be implemented, or is it just a feature were not using? Just wondering...
Zaurus sl-5500 with Sharp ROM version 3.1
128mb sd card, 2 16mb cf cards
Slackware Linux 10.0 with Kernel 2.6.7

Please visit my webblog. Be sure to post a few comments while your there :).
http://xwebnet.com/