Author Topic: JustReader and MobiPocket files  (Read 6148 times)

suruaZ

• View Profile
JustReader and MobiPocket files
« on: July 08, 2004, 02:09:34 am »
Could JustReader read MobiPocket's .prc files? I seen somewhere that yes but I was not managed to open mobi files.

Thanks in advance,
suruaZ
SL-5500, Sharp ROM 3.13, Pretec GSM/GPRS CF, IBM Microdrive 340 MB

dh

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 10:22:11 pm »
I use JustReader to read my Mobipocket books with no problems. One thing to note is that you can only read unsecure Mobipocket books. If you bought your books in secure Mobipocket format I don't think they will work.

The workaround is to buy your books in Microsoft .lit format and use ConvertLit and Mobipocket Publisher (both free) to convert to open Mobipocket format. If you do this you should be fine.
C860, Cacko Elena ROM
Cheers!
David

suruaZ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 12:41:03 am »
I use Mobipocket Web Companion v. 4.5 to create *.prc files. I able to preview it with Mobipocket Reader on Psion. The same *.prc files fail to open with JustReaded on Z  

suruaZ

TimW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 07:54:32 am »
I've been working on mobipocket support in opie-reader and the next release should have much better mobipocket support.

If you would like to try a pre-release version let me know which ROM you are using, or if you would like me to try it out for you first, send me a copy of one of the documents you are having trouble with and I'll let you know if it works.

Send to:

timwentford AT hotmail DOT com

TimW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 06:40:07 am »
I've put pre-release versions of opie-reader with the enhanced Mobipocket support at my web site. If you want to try them, remember that they are untested.

For ROMs based on Qtopia 1.5 (Sharp, tkcROM and any other ROMs based on the Sharp original):

http://www.timwentford.uklinux.net/opie-reader_0.7f_arm.ipk

For OZ/Opie (will work on ipaqs running Opie, too):

http://www.timwentford.uklinux.net/opie-re...ie_0.7f_arm.ipk

And for OZ/Opie and ipaqs with Opie but based on GCC 3.x:

http://www.timwentford.uklinux.net/opie-re...c3_0.7f_arm.ipk

suruaZ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 01:43:09 am »
Thanks TimW. It works now!
I have sent to you a small sample - seems the reader doesn't process internal links correctly.
All the rest looks fine. I was able to read mobi-news in English, Russian.

Keep clicking,
suruaZ

TimW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 02:15:53 pm »
I didn't get it - maybe it got swallowed up with spam. If you include "reader" in the subject then it is guaranteed to bypass my spam filter.

dh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2004, 12:00:33 pm »
Tim, just to let you know, I downloaded your new version (using Cacko ROM on 860) and it works great.

I've been using JustReader for my Mobipocket format books and it is usually good but refuses to open some books. Also, I haven't been able to get it to display graphics.

One book I've not been able to open is Bill Clintons one. With the new version of Opie Reader the file opened perfectly and I was confronted by Bill's smug grin on my screen.

So thanks for the great work. While I could do without the smug grin, it's fantastic that I'm getting my Zaurus closer and closer to just how I want it.  

If you are going to add new features, an easy way to scale fonts would be nice as well as an auto scroll ability. (These might already be there and I haven't found them yet of course!)
C860, Cacko Elena ROM
Cheers!
David

Hrw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2004, 04:08:19 pm »
I installed opie-reader 0.7f on my SL-5500 running OpenZaurus 3.5.1-pre1 and found it working but worse then version from opie CVS.

I use opie-freetype to get TrueType fonts in system but opie-reader show only QPF ones (I only have "fixed" one for Konsole) so I cannot use it to read (lack of national chars).

Otherwise it looks nice - many changes. "grab buttons" option looks good.
OpenZaurus 3.5.4x Release Manager
OpenEmbedded, Ångström, Poky developer
My website

Misc embedded hardware.

suruaZ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2004, 01:41:12 am »
seems the reader doesn't process internal links correctly.

It fixed in "g" version. Thanks Tim for your great work!

auto scroll ability. (These might already be there and I haven't found them yet of course!)

Yes, it's already there. More over you could choose between a few scroll types. Just scroll speed seems missed  

suruaZ

tumnus

• View Profile
    • http://www.cpinkney.org.uk
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2004, 05:33:39 am »
Just scroll speed seems missed
By default I think the up and down keys control scroll speed. This can be set in the Opie Reader configuration on the Buttons tab.

The 'In Place' scrolling is an excellent feature and very easy on the eyes.
# Search the Zaurus Howtos ## Search the Zaurus FAQs ## Find Z software at ELSI #
--------------------
UK SL5500 with Sharp ROM 3.13, SL5600 with Sharp ROM 1.32 - SuSE 9.0 Pro, Windows XP Home
Qualendar for Calendar and Todo
Socket Bluetooth CF Card (Rev F), Kingmax 512MB MMC Card, Palm Tungsten T Stylus,
Pretec CF->Smartmedia Adapter, Semsons Universal Battery Extender

TimW

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2004, 06:14:57 pm »
I use opie-freetype to get TrueType fonts in system but opie-reader show only QPF ones (I only have "fixed" one for Konsole) so I cannot use it to read (lack of national chars).
The method of getting the font list hasn't changed, well, ever, so it should provide the same font list in both versions unless someone has fixed something in the Opie CVS without telling me.

You did get one of the opie variants (opie-reader-opie, or opie-reader-gcc3) I hope. Getting a Sharp ROM version can produce odd font effects but AFAIK it only affects the size.

I'm going away for a couple of weeks but I'll try and take a look at this when I get back (and hopefully get 0_7g up before, too).

dh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2004, 09:31:41 pm »
Great, I found the scroll options - very nice!
C860, Cacko Elena ROM
Cheers!
David

TimW

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2004, 02:47:06 pm »
I've put snapshots of the 0.7g release up at my website - same URLs as above but with a g instead of an f.

These are snapshots so there may be a subsequent release which will still be called 0.7g. I wouldn't normally do that but I wanted to make sure that the bugs found by suruaZ (thanks for finding them) which I have fixed so far would be available (the fixes, not the bugs) to people while I go away next week.

I'll announce the official 0.7g release here when it comes so if you track this topic you will get an announcement when it is time to replace the 0.7g snapshot with 0.7g official.

As they are snapshots, you may want to be prepared to go back to 0.7f if necessary - I've left the 0.7f ipks up at my site, too, just in case you need to revert.

If you do get 0.7g, you will need to readjust your margins because they are now done relative to the window size instead of in absolute pixels. A value of 1000 corresponds to the full window width.

Meyer

• View Profile
    • http://papa.motd.org/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2004, 08:14:47 pm »
So 0.7g can read secure Mobipocket files directly without any offline conversions?
David Meyer, Takarazuka, Japan
1. Zaurus iGeti MI-P10-S (retired)
2. "Liza" Zaurus SL-C860, Sharp ROM 1.31 JP R.I.P.
3. "Slee 2" Zaurus SL-C860, Sharp ROM 1.40 JP (retired)
4. "iZa" Zaurus SL-C1000, Sharp ROM 1.01 JP