Author Topic: Pocketop keyboard doenst work... :(  (Read 3897 times)

worry

Pocketop keyboard doenst work... :(
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2004, 01:27:41 pm »
Hi cwaig!

Thank you for reply!

about your last help, in fact the manual text editing of the IRK.conf file was the first choice that I tried, in order to got acceted characters directly from my pocketop keyboard, so, about that, I  would like to make 2 comments...  

1) I  already tested in the previous days to edit  the IRK.conf by hand and could set it as far I understand, in the same way that your suggestion (and because I didnt got irt work, I tried again other ways like typing the codes in hec and triying to guessing what is the number ID for identifiying every physical button on the keyboard (that seems to me, because apart from the key-text-line-definiton number and, apart from the character code,  appears to me that,  is a THIRD  number involved in each line of key definition, of the IRK.conf file, and that appears that is used to identify the key physical position of each button of the keyboard array. well, I didnt have  enbough info about these "keybopard buttons ID numbers", but thinks that may be guess.)

2) Well, but after editing, by guessing with well know values of prexisting key definitions of the original IRK.conf keyboard, I had trouble to got the IRK driver to recognize new  modified IRK.conf lines, and still rejects toi appears the new keyboard values. So, in short, I could manage to edit the IRK.conf manually and  fine, but didnt got  success in making the IRK.conf  works with new accented characters assignments , even iof they was made by CLI terminal text editing.  Im not  sure if turn the driver ON/OFF, or  reboot zaurus, or changing the keyboard type(pocketop to targus and viceversa), could do force the running driver to re-reads the IRK.conf file, and then recognize the new key definitions.

3)A 3rd-REALLY sorry stupid question...  hummm, the codes that you kindly send to me are in hex values, right?  (if yes, as I said, this is a really stupid question...   )

well, again cwaig, thank you very much for take the time to help, and thank you again for your good work on the driver.  

Best Regards!  

cwaig

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2004, 06:27:20 am »
Example:
To get the mapping CMD+a=á
We'll use the Settings dialog for this - there's no need to edit the config file directly at all.

You lookup the code for a acute.
Key_aacute = 0x0e1

The codes in the list I posted is in Hex 'coz I just cut/pasted it from Trolltech's QT header files.
So we convert 0xe1 to decimal : 225.

Now, to setup the mapping in IRK:
1) Popup the IRK panel.
2) Click the "Settings" button.
3) Select the "Keymap" tab in the settings dialog.
4) Select the "CMD" tab in the Keymap pane.
5) Click the "New" button.
6) Click the "key" button, then press the "a" key on the Pocketop - not on the built in keyboard. You'll see "a" in the key field.
7) Enter the key combo in the "Cmd:" field. As we're using a numeric keycode, this is prefixed by #. So enter "#225" (without the quotes).
8) Click "OK" (in the title bar) to close the dialog and accept the new settings.

You can now hit CMD+a and get á.

Repeat for all your keyboard mapping needs. If this doesn't work, you're not following the directions - read 'em again, then try it again.
SL5500+Origo WIFI+Pocketop Keyboard+BlueMonkey Bluetooth+IBM Microdrive+SL6000+iRiver USB host+PackardBell USB RF mini-mouse+Cheapo Kingmax USB laptop Keyboard+Dynamode USB Ethernet Adaptor
Wrote a couple of things....
IRK, SubApplet, QMode2, NetActive, SimpleEdit, zPocketScript.

worry

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2004, 06:08:56 pm »
Hi cwaig!

First of all, thank you  very much for a kind and pretty complete answer!
in fact, by now  I already guess it, except the use of the character code number in the setting field of the GUI (I was used the character  itself, so I think that your suggestion works better...) .  In fact the answer is so clear about remapping chars that I wonder if it coul be copy in the info of the iRK driver ( hope that  other user dont bother too much like as I did with this issue...    )

By now, the only bug that suspect that remains is the lost of the map definitions when is used the screen menu rotation option for rotate for complete rotate oft the system, but, by now,  the driver is really pretty usable and usefull, and by other side may be an issue for a wish-list, that could be nice if will be posible the enable of the ALT key mapping on the pocketop....  (well...., seems that Im bothering again...   )

Now, seriously, I really thank you very much for your patience and good will to write a good answer, and the same to the other friends that contribute to help.  I hope that this didnt bother too much, and may be help other lusers that need accented chars.

so,  Thank you very much for your good work and best regards for all.