Author Topic: Pocketop keyboard doenst work... :(  (Read 3869 times)

worry

Pocketop keyboard doenst work... :(
« on: August 05, 2004, 10:48:51 pm »
Hi!
I  got a Pocketop keyboard from ebay and it came today....  well, I  set all following the info about IRK driver, but the keyboard doesnt work.  I installed the IRK driver version 0.11 and did the setting,  Change the battery of the keyboard, checking good aligment (put the Z IR in front of the keyboard both flat on a table (from 1 inch to 6 inch, and then try to maintain the Z little sloped from keyboard, turn off near surrounding lights, read all the messagues IN ZUG forums, tried to reset the IR port from terminal and from Qtopia....) and nothing happen....

I use it on a Z5500, that uses the kernel from maslovsky version 2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-emb and the proto's TKC rom 1.0....  I read at the info about that the IRK works with sharprom 2.x and 3.x and with cacko rom... so I would like to ask if someone use the Pocketop with the protos rom or may be this could be the issue (I would like to know this before reflashig and may be messing my Z, because I put a lot of work in make it usable and  prefer not to change another time(from lots of times) my rom+kernel combination...)
I little worried about I got teh pocketop from ebay...  the sale info saids that it is like new ( and in fact the appearance of all the components is like new), but the fact that I didnt got it work and didnt had another PDA to test it that worries me if it really works....

thanks.

qx773

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 11:18:46 pm »
The Pockettop keyboard uses a AAA battery.  Did you put a fresh one in it?

worry

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 01:03:09 am »
Hi!

Thank you for reply...  yes, by the time when I wrote the previous messague I had already tesetd two new AAA batteries so it was one of the reasons that worries me... (in fact before I got it working and after wrote the previous messague, I got some rest by using a digital camera to see with my keyboard IR port and could see IR signals from it, so I conclude that the trouble was in software...   )... well, Im happily had to said that I got it working now!  

So the proto's rom & cacko maklosky modified kernel work FINE with the pocketop and IRK driver...  

I  got  It working by means of restore a somewhat old backup of my system and when tried the pocketop works fine, but when I was restore my more recently system It was locked again... but in the Backup/restore testing and triying to indetify the source of the  locking keyboard issue I lost  the  backup that  had the issue so sadly didnt could identify the source of the bug, but well my system by now is somewhat almost same that I lost but I got working my keyboard.  maybe if  I got it locking again, maybe could identiify the software that  make  the issue.

Really this keyboard  works very nice!  hum... by now the only issue is that I didnt already found how to make diferent accented characters (in the manual said that the palm driver uses the funtion key combination, but it didnt work same on the Zaurus driver... any suggestion?...  

Thanks again for reply and best regards!  

cwaig

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004, 03:25:45 am »
Use the key mapping section of the settings dialog to assign key combo's to produce the characters you want.
SL5500+Origo WIFI+Pocketop Keyboard+BlueMonkey Bluetooth+IBM Microdrive+SL6000+iRiver USB host+PackardBell USB RF mini-mouse+Cheapo Kingmax USB laptop Keyboard+Dynamode USB Ethernet Adaptor
Wrote a couple of things....
IRK, SubApplet, QMode2, NetActive, SimpleEdit, zPocketScript.

worry

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 11:16:27 am »
Hi cwaig!

Thanks for reply, but  specially THANK YOU very much for the good work on the keyboard IRK driver!...  

The driver connects really fine with my Z5500.  About the settings section,  I already test it, and by the same time that I wrote this I did a last check, but, I didnt find out how to  program/set the ALT combination with a key (that may be important, because mainly the a letter is yet assigned in the keyboard layout to a new file command), so made accented vowels  in uppercase/lowercase could be more accessible with a ALT+vowel letter or may be ALT+SHIFT+vowel letter or somethig like that...

In your good site I read the info about editing the letter assign by text editing, but, as far I see, your settings program setting could made unnecesary edit keymap by text editing (only 2 suggestions on this... 1) may be good put in the about a little advice  the screen-key "key" usage (someone could guessing its use but may be dont hurt a little advice/instruction about its use in the about section of the driver)  2)In you site had very good info, but for a new user could be not so easy to found the file IRK.conf, so may be useful to mention the tipycal path of this file.)

By other side,  If it didnt bother I would like to ask about the code for made the rotation command from the keyboard (in the layout of the Pocketop appears the key ' (at left side of the return key...) with an arrows circle that maybe could means rotation command, so I would like to use it.

Well, the previous are only suggestions/comments, from the point of view of a new user, so I hope that them dont offend/bother; because overall, I would like to thank you very much for your good work on the IRK driver

best regards!

cwaig

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 12:31:19 pm »
Unfortunately, the rotation toggle was a bit of a hack - I hard coded it to the key combo instead of making it configurable. One day I'll add it as a macro command.....but not today
SL5500+Origo WIFI+Pocketop Keyboard+BlueMonkey Bluetooth+IBM Microdrive+SL6000+iRiver USB host+PackardBell USB RF mini-mouse+Cheapo Kingmax USB laptop Keyboard+Dynamode USB Ethernet Adaptor

worry

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 10:52:50 am »
Hi  Cwaig!

I hope that this dont bother too much, as you said...
"I hard coded it to the key combo"    ...a little help tip about what is the key combo that rotate the Z screen from the IR keyboard?...

and, if dont  bother too...  this is the really important thing, please...a little help about  setting ALT or ALT+shift key combinations... Please excuse me, but Im really need some help with this, because, the lack of  practical  accented keys shortcuts in my keyboard is making it a little useless, because by now, every time that I typing, I need to maintain  a text file with every one of the accented letters  that I need and have to make copy & paste routines, an this makes a torture to write a simple messague in other language than english...   (the worst thing is that this remind me the days that I had to do the same when I used an windoz-CE handheld than only supports english...    )

thank you for your replies and hope that dont mind you the questions...

best regards!

MtnMichael

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 07:52:49 pm »
Shift + cmd + Space - will give you the rotation.  You can find this on cwaig's page, under the download section and then the release notes next to each download.

Not sure about accented chars or UTF8.  Haven't had a need for that (yet).  ;-)

- Michael

worry

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 10:20:33 am »
Hi MtnMichael!

Thank you very much for your info, I missed it when checking the info....

By the way, trying to reread the info about key mapping....  I would like to ask if there is a way or utility to identify the 16bit codes of the full range of QT keycodes, in order to  try to mapping the accented caracters in some alternate way...  about the UTF8 and accented characters,  is happy to check that the Z very spread aorund the world, so would be nice to try to improve its international character support .  

Well, as I said before, I really appreciate the good will and great work that are made and still develops on the IRK driver, so,  only for clarify me (may be I'm little dumb...  ), so hope that this dont bother, but...  Is the ALT key enable or mapeable under the current version of the IRK driver?...  ( I would like to know, only to avoid trying to map key combinations that are not able by now...)

Thanks again and have a nice day!!

cwaig

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2004, 04:19:08 pm »
From Qtopia SDK qnamespace.h:

Key_Escape = 0x1000,      // misc keys
   Key_Tab = 0x1001,
   Key_Backtab = 0x1002, Key_BackTab = Key_Backtab,
   Key_Backspace = 0x1003, Key_BackSpace = Key_Backspace,
   Key_Return = 0x1004,
   Key_Enter = 0x1005,
   Key_Insert = 0x1006,
   Key_Delete = 0x1007,
   Key_Pause = 0x1008,
   Key_Print = 0x1009,
   Key_SysReq = 0x100a,
   Key_Home = 0x1010,      // cursor movement
   Key_End = 0x1011,
   Key_Left = 0x1012,
   Key_Up = 0x1013,
   Key_Right = 0x1014,
   Key_Down = 0x1015,
   Key_Prior = 0x1016, Key_PageUp = Key_Prior,
   Key_Next = 0x1017, Key_PageDown = Key_Next,
   Key_Shift = 0x1020,      // modifiers
   Key_Control = 0x1021,
   Key_Meta = 0x1022,
   Key_Alt = 0x1023,
   Key_CapsLock = 0x1024,
   Key_NumLock = 0x1025,
   Key_ScrollLock = 0x1026,
   Key_F1 = 0x1030,      // function keys
   Key_F2 = 0x1031,
   Key_F3 = 0x1032,
   Key_F4 = 0x1033,
   Key_F5 = 0x1034,
   Key_F6 = 0x1035,
   Key_F7 = 0x1036,
   Key_F8 = 0x1037,
   Key_F9 = 0x1038,
   Key_F10 = 0x1039,
   Key_F11 = 0x103a,
   Key_F12 = 0x103b,
   Key_F13 = 0x103c,
   Key_F14 = 0x103d,
   Key_F15 = 0x103e,
   Key_F16 = 0x103f,
   Key_F17 = 0x1040,
   Key_F18 = 0x1041,
   Key_F19 = 0x1042,
   Key_F20 = 0x1043,
   Key_F21 = 0x1044,
   Key_F22 = 0x1045,
   Key_F23 = 0x1046,
   Key_F24 = 0x1047,
   Key_F25 = 0x1048,      // F25 .. F35 only on X11
   Key_F26 = 0x1049,
   Key_F27 = 0x104a,
   Key_F28 = 0x104b,
   Key_F29 = 0x104c,
   Key_F30 = 0x104d,
   Key_F31 = 0x104e,
   Key_F32 = 0x104f,
   Key_F33 = 0x1050,
   Key_F34 = 0x1051,
   Key_F35 = 0x1052,
   Key_Super_L = 0x1053,       // extra keys
   Key_Super_R = 0x1054,
   Key_Menu = 0x1055,
   Key_Hyper_L = 0x1056,
   Key_Hyper_R = 0x1057,
   Key_Help = 0x1058,
   Key_Space = 0x20,      // 7 bit printable ASCII
   Key_Any = Key_Space,
   Key_Exclam = 0x21,
   Key_QuoteDbl = 0x22,
   Key_NumberSign = 0x23,
   Key_Dollar = 0x24,
   Key_Percent = 0x25,
   Key_Ampersand = 0x26,
   Key_Apostrophe = 0x27,
   Key_ParenLeft = 0x28,
   Key_ParenRight = 0x29,
   Key_Asterisk = 0x2a,
   Key_Plus = 0x2b,
   Key_Comma = 0x2c,
   Key_Minus = 0x2d,
   Key_Period = 0x2e,
   Key_Slash = 0x2f,
   Key_0 = 0x30,
   Key_1 = 0x31,
   Key_2 = 0x32,
   Key_3 = 0x33,
   Key_4 = 0x34,
   Key_5 = 0x35,
   Key_6 = 0x36,
   Key_7 = 0x37,
   Key_8 = 0x38,
   Key_9 = 0x39,
   Key_Colon = 0x3a,
   Key_Semicolon = 0x3b,
   Key_Less = 0x3c,
   Key_Equal = 0x3d,
   Key_Greater = 0x3e,
   Key_Question = 0x3f,
   Key_At = 0x40,
   Key_A = 0x41,
   Key_B = 0x42,
   Key_C = 0x43,
   Key_D = 0x44,
   Key_E = 0x45,
   Key_F = 0x46,
   Key_G = 0x47,
   Key_H = 0x48,
   Key_I = 0x49,
   Key_J = 0x4a,
   Key_K = 0x4b,
   Key_L = 0x4c,
   Key_M = 0x4d,
   Key_N = 0x4e,
   Key_O = 0x4f,
   Key_P = 0x50,
   Key_Q = 0x51,
   Key_R = 0x52,
   Key_S = 0x53,
   Key_T = 0x54,
   Key_U = 0x55,
   Key_V = 0x56,
   Key_W = 0x57,
   Key_X = 0x58,
   Key_Y = 0x59,
   Key_Z = 0x5a,
   Key_BracketLeft = 0x5b,
   Key_Backslash = 0x5c,
   Key_BracketRight = 0x5d,
   Key_AsciiCircum = 0x5e,
   Key_Underscore = 0x5f,
   Key_QuoteLeft = 0x60,
   Key_BraceLeft = 0x7b,
   Key_Bar = 0x7c,
   Key_BraceRight = 0x7d,
   Key_AsciiTilde = 0x7e,

// Latin 1 codes adapted from X: keysymdef.h,v 1.21 94/08/28 16:17:06

Key_nobreakspace = 0x0a0,
   Key_exclamdown = 0x0a1,
   Key_cent = 0x0a2,
   Key_sterling = 0x0a3,
   Key_currency = 0x0a4,
   Key_yen = 0x0a5,
   Key_brokenbar = 0x0a6,
   Key_section = 0x0a7,
   Key_diaeresis = 0x0a8,
   Key_copyright = 0x0a9,
   Key_ordfeminine = 0x0aa,
   Key_guillemotleft = 0x0ab,   // left angle quotation mark
   Key_notsign = 0x0ac,
   Key_hyphen = 0x0ad,
   Key_registered = 0x0ae,
   Key_macron = 0x0af,
   Key_degree = 0x0b0,
   Key_plusminus = 0x0b1,
   Key_twosuperior = 0x0b2,
   Key_threesuperior = 0x0b3,
   Key_acute = 0x0b4,
   Key_mu = 0x0b5,
   Key_paragraph = 0x0b6,
   Key_periodcentered = 0x0b7,
   Key_cedilla = 0x0b8,
   Key_onesuperior = 0x0b9,
   Key_masculine = 0x0ba,
   Key_guillemotright = 0x0bb,   // right angle quotation mark
   Key_onequarter = 0x0bc,
   Key_onehalf = 0x0bd,
   Key_threequarters = 0x0be,
   Key_questiondown = 0x0bf,
   Key_Agrave = 0x0c0,
   Key_Aacute = 0x0c1,
   Key_Acircumflex = 0x0c2,
   Key_Atilde = 0x0c3,
   Key_Adiaeresis = 0x0c4,
   Key_Aring = 0x0c5,
   Key_AE = 0x0c6,
   Key_Ccedilla = 0x0c7,
   Key_Egrave = 0x0c8,
   Key_Eacute = 0x0c9,
   Key_Ecircumflex = 0x0ca,
   Key_Ediaeresis = 0x0cb,
   Key_Igrave = 0x0cc,
   Key_Iacute = 0x0cd,
   Key_Icircumflex = 0x0ce,
   Key_Idiaeresis = 0x0cf,
   Key_ETH = 0x0d0,
   Key_Ntilde = 0x0d1,
   Key_Ograve = 0x0d2,
   Key_Oacute = 0x0d3,
   Key_Ocircumflex = 0x0d4,
   Key_Otilde = 0x0d5,
   Key_Odiaeresis = 0x0d6,
   Key_multiply = 0x0d7,
   Key_Ooblique = 0x0d8,
   Key_Ugrave = 0x0d9,
   Key_Uacute = 0x0da,
   Key_Ucircumflex = 0x0db,
   Key_Udiaeresis = 0x0dc,
   Key_Yacute = 0x0dd,
   Key_THORN = 0x0de,
   Key_ssharp = 0x0df,
   Key_agrave = 0x0e0,
   Key_aacute = 0x0e1,
   Key_acircumflex = 0x0e2,
   Key_atilde = 0x0e3,
   Key_adiaeresis = 0x0e4,
   Key_aring = 0x0e5,
   Key_ae = 0x0e6,
   Key_ccedilla = 0x0e7,
   Key_egrave = 0x0e8,
   Key_eacute = 0x0e9,
   Key_ecircumflex = 0x0ea,
   Key_ediaeresis = 0x0eb,
   Key_igrave = 0x0ec,
   Key_iacute = 0x0ed,
   Key_icircumflex = 0x0ee,
   Key_idiaeresis = 0x0ef,
   Key_eth = 0x0f0,
   Key_ntilde = 0x0f1,
   Key_ograve = 0x0f2,
   Key_oacute = 0x0f3,
   Key_ocircumflex = 0x0f4,
   Key_otilde = 0x0f5,
   Key_odiaeresis = 0x0f6,
   Key_division = 0x0f7,
   Key_oslash = 0x0f8,
   Key_ugrave = 0x0f9,
   Key_uacute = 0x0fa,
   Key_ucircumflex = 0x0fb,
   Key_udiaeresis = 0x0fc,
   Key_yacute = 0x0fd,
   Key_thorn = 0x0fe,
   Key_ydiaeresis = 0x0ff,

Xaser

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2004, 07:09:17 pm »
cwaig, thank you very much for the codes!

I believe that I will be able to make some tailoring to my keymap.
hum... the info seems very usefull, I wonder If it could be include in the docs section of ZUG site.

Thanks again for your help!  
..: X :......Zaurus SL5500
....: A :......Proto TKCrom 1
......: S :......Cacko Async Kernel
........: E :......Lexar SD128mb
..........: R :......Targus 56k modem

Xaser

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2004, 01:23:16 pm »
Well, after too many tries, I surrender, so I would like to comment some issues about the IRK driver, in hope to could get some help with them...

Because the definitions of the other combination keys (that are really usefull), guessing that by now the ALT key is not enabled on the driver, I'm triying to map the characters:
CMD+a=á CMD+e=é CMD+i=í CMD+o=ó CMD+u=ú and CMD+n=ñ (and some otherfew, but always with the CMD combination key), so I already tried the 2 ways, the driver setting section GUI and the manual edit of the IRK.conf file with text editor. so the issues that I found (Im susing a Z5500 with the CackoKernel+Proto's V1.0 rom):

1) Editing the IRK.conf file by text editor is pretty easy, but I cant found a way that the driver reads the new modified hand made settings and that the keyboard respond to them. (I really try and recheck the key definitions that are as in the Craig's page info said, the key definitions order inside the text also checked to maintain the same order that uses the other definitions(numbering...), checking that the file IRK.conf is in the same path that the driver put in the original install,etc,etc.... ) but no matters what the driver refuses to see the new file and all the times after check the settings section only shows the same original key definitions that came in the ipk original file. blink.gif

2) I start with the zaurus in normal vertical screen setting, The setting GUI inside the driver, after some little guessing, works fine in the definitions of the key combiantions, I could assign all the keys that I would like to assign, and after all the setting repeated OK&OUT process, I got the key definitions working fine and after tested it with Text editor and Hancom Word, It works fine, BUT, when I ROTATE my screen (to put my Z in landscape mode), the rotation work perfectly and all the stuuf fine EXCEPTS that the driver LOST the key confination definitions that was already made, so after rotate, and tried to type the accented letters, they appears witout the defintion and checking the the settings info when the Z is in landscape mode, shows again the ORIGINAL key settings without change, and after rotate to vertical again, the keys definitions are still missings and only appears the keys defs taht came with the original ipk. blink.gif

3) In my Z5500 the SHIFT+CMD+space for rotating only displays an advice in the screen that saids "Rotaion Off" and "Rotation On", but after tapping in the "OK"button of the advice on the screen, nothing happens and the screenn dont rotates and maintains in the same screen aspects that was setting by the menu options corner on the screen.

Please excuse the long text, I put this only to try to explain clearly the issues, so I hope that it dont bother, but I tried to solve the issue 2 very lot of times and didnt found a way to fix it (or may be I'm not too smart for that... smile.gif ). All the times the GUI made key definitions for accented characters was lost.

The driver is a GREAT driver and I'm happy that Craig had the will to make it for all of us and I really appreciates it... smile.gif so, I would like to comment this little issues in order to got the driver work a little better for other languages, because in english it didnt have issues because is no need for accented characters and hoping that it don bother too much.

Thanks for attention and help. best regards!
..: X :......Zaurus SL5500
....: A :......Proto TKCrom 1
......: S :......Cacko Async Kernel
........: E :......Lexar SD128mb
..........: R :......Targus 56k modem

MtnMichael

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2004, 05:06:19 pm »
Worry,

With regard to the screen rotation.  It won't actually rotate your screen (or the application rather), until after you turn it on and select an app to run.

So initially, it looks like it "doesn't do anything", however once you've seleted an application to run, it will run in rotated mode.

Hope that helps clarify that portion.

- Michael

worry

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2004, 10:18:05 am »
Michael, thank you very much for the info!
The rotation from the keyboard works fine.

Sadly the trouble with accented characters continues and have no idea why the Z loss the settings when full screen rotation is enabled (the option that appears in the screen left down corner menu, not the program only rotation that  is activated with the keyboard...)....

Again, Thank you very much for your kind answer!

cwaig

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2004, 12:43:45 pm »
I think QT's config file handling is having issues with the accented characters (they don't save).

To get round this, enter the characters using the numeric codes listed above. These have to be converted to decimal - for example, to enter a numeric code for 'A' you would enter #65 as the key mapping. Hope that helps....