Author Topic: Who has a 6000?  (Read 62473 times)

gfdsa

• View Profile
Who has a 6000?
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2005, 06:43:56 am »
Another happy owner here, impressed one

Cyril92

• View Profile
Who has a 6000?
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2005, 07:25:30 pm »
I am an 'old' Zaurus user (had a C860 ,and now have a c3k) and was amazed  when I saw that amazon was selling the 6kL with 46% of reduction.
The problem was  : I live in France and that delivery was only in US. thanks to a friend of mine (living in NYC) I was able to buy one on the beginning of december.
I received it 4 days ago, so now you can consider me as a happy new 6000L user.

How lucky i am    
SL-C760 (Cacko ROM), 256Mb CF,512Mb SD
Pentopia stylus 3in1,CF wifi , CE-RH1
looking for : SL5500
Previous : C3000,C860 & 6000L.

celtron

• View Profile
    • http://
Who has a 6000?
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2005, 02:43:33 am »
Received mine on Christmas eve of 2005; how memorable, huh ? )

Paid with lots of moolah to get it imported all the way from Missouri to Singapore (excluding import tax). Was it worth all this hassles, logistics, etc.,. ?????

You BET! Every single cent of it (including the bloody tax)! I'm already doing wonders with it (besides j2me development on-the-fly), I'm using it for my moonlighting adventures in infosec.

Had all my Tungsten-toting colleagues envious when I showed them how to interface from a simple 512MB usb thumbdrive to my 40GB external 2.5" drive, all via the courtesy of the mini-USB port of the Z6K.

Am I happy? VERY satisfied. Since obtaining it, I've been accessorizing my Z6K.
What I'm lacking still is the expansion sleeve (really ex for someone who doesn't get paid in USD)!

Long live the Z6K (altho it has been discontinued by Sharp Corp.)!
SL-6000L
1 GB ATP 60x SD
5GB Seagate ST-1 CF microdrive
TrendNet TE-CF100 ethernet
Daiyo USB Adapter
CF-2-PC adapter (SEM-CFPC)
Netgate long-range WiFi + 12dBi Yagi + MMCX pigtail
Sharp CE-AG06 Camera CF
Sharp CE-RH1 remote control earphones (mod'ed to 2.5mm)
Pocketop IR Keyboard / Jetion AL-2199 USB

cwaig

• View Profile
Who has a 6000?
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2005, 04:01:27 am »
I got mine from my wife as a Christmas present to replace to aging SL5500 she bought me a few years ago (there's a woman who knows what a man really wants  ).
Imported from the US to the UK (getpartsonline.com - not quite as cheap as Amazon were, but willing to ship to the UK and still looks cheap 'coz of the $ being worth roughly the same as a packet of peanuts at the moment).

Been on a bit of a shopping spree since, and picked up some nifty (and very cheap) USB accessories - keyboard, mouse, wired ethernet adaptor. Superb - the USB stuff is sooo much cheaper than compact flash stuff, and so much easier to get working.

The techie guys in my office were pretty impressed by it (just to show off, I had it mount an full-size 120G IDE hard drive full of MPEG's).

Beautiful screen, superbly done WIFI. My only moan would be that I've not managed to get my CF bluetooth card working properly yet. Must get round to downloading the source to the Bluetooth network plugin and fixing whatever the problem is with making it work correctly...
SL5500+Origo WIFI+Pocketop Keyboard+BlueMonkey Bluetooth+IBM Microdrive+SL6000+iRiver USB host+PackardBell USB RF mini-mouse+Cheapo Kingmax USB laptop Keyboard+Dynamode USB Ethernet Adaptor
Wrote a couple of things....
IRK, SubApplet, QMode2, NetActive, SimpleEdit, zPocketScript.

rip

• View Profile
Who has a 6000?
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2005, 11:01:06 am »
hello, another french 6000 user (proud and happy) coming from z750 world, qtopia and linux embedded were missing me too much, i didn't have the strenght to take a pocket pc between 2 Zs ! i prefered to stay without pda for 3 long months instead.

you can't imagine how hard it is to get a 6k there in france.

i didn't post that much because i'm a complete newbie in linux so i prefer to read the forum bible b4 telling or asking too many silly questions that a quik search function resolves most of the time.

my principle use of the 6k is for personnal use , and i'm also using it to console into my company's routers via a simple serial cable.

i enjoy to read you all everyday.
please don't forget to save the database of this forum as it will be a biiiiiiiiig loose   for all the Zaurus user community.

and thanks also to SHARP, for making so crazy tools/toys.
zaurus 6000L

mrossinc

• View Profile
Who has a 6000?
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2005, 10:47:18 pm »
I have had mine since December and still dont know how to use it!  But I do love it!  And, is it just me or are the reps at Sharp useless.  When I asked if there were any retailers in my area I was told to try "Target".

undrwater

• View Profile
Who has a 6000?
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2005, 08:36:24 pm »
Just sent a PayPal payment for a 6000L from ebay.  $500!  You folks who picked it up earlier for $3XX are very lucky!  As it is I got mine for cheaper cause the name of the device had a typo.  

Now I hope the seller is not a deadbeat.  

[EDIT]

He wasn't!  

What a great machine!

[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 08:33:12 pm by undrwater »

nhorlock

• View Profile
    • http://www.zyxt.org/zaurus
Who has a 6000?
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2005, 06:33:33 pm »
Got my 6000L On Thursday. Bought it from a guy in the US via ebay. Only downside was getting stung for VAT on the import which always annoys me as if Iwere buying in the UK I would not have to pay VAT on second hand goods.

Nice bit of kit. Can't wait for the next OZ to appear. Have finally got the Sharp ROM back on it and can flash 'tween the two at will. Sharp ROM is quite well put together, the wireless setup wizard is easy to use for example, however it lacks the broad software base of OZ so it won't stay once the keyboard issues and the power/suspend issues are history.

Neil
Kent, UK SL5500 with OZ ROM
D-Link WLAN CF Card
SanDisk 256Mb SD,
Pretec CF/Smartmedia Adapter
SL6000 with either Sharp or OZ3.5.2
Sig style stolen from Tumnus
Also see http://www.zyxt.org/zaurus

systemparadox

• View Profile
    • http://www.systemparadox.co.uk
Who has a 6000?
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2005, 12:39:58 pm »
As of this morning I am finally a 6000L owner! Bought the second one that has ever been for sale on ebay UK. It's gigantic!!! More so than I expected or would have liked, but I think it looks bigger in comparison to my 5500 because of the robust design. I guess i'll just have to get used to it (and I was going to buy an expansion sleeve lol). The screen is sooooo good- I can hardly use my 5500 any more!
My Site: The System Paradox (http://www.systemparadox.co.uk)

FOR SALE: Zaurus SL-C750: /Symbol Spectrum24 CF WiFi/Pilot Pentopia extending stylus (worth every penny)/Currently running Cacko.

robyinno

• View Profile
    • http://www.humandevelopment.it
Who has a 6000?
« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2005, 09:23:46 pm »
I have buy SL6000L near Cristmas, from ebay , I live in Italy. I buy for arund 350 euros with shipping and taxes.
I'm a linux lover and this is the main reason why I buy zaurus.
I'm waiting pdaxrom for SL6000... and the right video acelleration for play mpeg...

Bye

Roberto
SL-6000 - Pdaxrom 1.1 beta1 - SD 512 - CF 1 GB

systemparadox

• View Profile
    • http://www.systemparadox.co.uk
Who has a 6000?
« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2005, 06:27:00 am »
Been on a bit of a shopping spree since, and picked up some nifty (and very cheap) USB accessories - keyboard, mouse, wired ethernet adaptor. Superb - the USB stuff is sooo much cheaper than compact flash stuff, and so much easier to get working.

The techie guys in my office were pretty impressed by it (just to show off, I had it mount an full-size 120G IDE hard drive full of MPEG's).

WOW! Just took a look at the USB ethernet adapters and they are like dirt! I can pick one up for 3 pounds! I have been watching the rather rare cf ethernet adapters on ebay and they keep going for 15-30 pounds. And the usb ones are smaller and less likely to get broken. Now all I need is a usb host cable... oh dear.
My Site: The System Paradox (http://www.systemparadox.co.uk)

FOR SALE: Zaurus SL-C750: /Symbol Spectrum24 CF WiFi/Pilot Pentopia extending stylus (worth every penny)/Currently running Cacko.

eji

• View Profile
    • http://charlatan.blogspot.com/
Who has a 6000?
« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2005, 07:15:21 am »
WOW! Just took a look at the USB ethernet adapters and they are like dirt! I can pick one up for 3 pounds! I have been watching the rather rare cf ethernet adapters on ebay and they keep going for 15-30 pounds. And the usb ones are smaller and less likely to get broken. Now all I need is a usb host cable... oh dear.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76519\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Where are you looking at these £3 USB ethernet adapters? I'd like to take a look at them myself.
Zaurus SL-6000L w/ Sharp ROM v1.12 - 1GB SanDisk CF - 1GB Lexar SD - Socket Rev. E BT CF | Mac OS X 10.5.x - iMac 24" 2.8Ghz | SIP: 864753@voip.brujula.net - 1 747 603 3461 (Gizmo/SIPhone)

insomniux

• View Profile
Who has a 6000?
« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2005, 06:25:25 pm »
Hi.
My sl6000 came to me in december 2004. I was one of the lucky ones to buy at Ebay when the prices where extremely low (don't even dare to name the price). At the moment I use the Sharp rom. Not because I like it but becasue it uses all the features of the machine. Since I'm not experienced in programming, the OZ roms are not within my reach. I do experiment with the 3.5.3, but there are too many problems with it for me to abandon the sharp rom. The problem with the sharp rom is that it tries to automate too many things (e.g. collect all audio files in one list, maling it impossible to distinguish between different tracks).

In addition to the qpe filemanager and terminal, I've installed qpegps which I use with a Fortuna Xtrack CF GPS receiver. Works perfect. Sometimes the Xtrack is not recognised. I take it out the zaurus, change the switch and put it back in and restart gpsd, it works again (something like a reset action by changing the switch).

Furthermore I've installed TextMaker, which is way better than Hancom Word (but it is not free).

I'm still looking for a nice case. Unfortunately Piel Frama (spain) does not produce cases for the 6000 (yet). The ones for the older models are lovely. I am trying to get in contact with them to find out if there is a chance that they start making cases for the 6k as well.

What do I use my Z for? I travel a lot with public transport. The Z is brilliant to make notes, answer e-mails, listen my mp3's, read documents, make minutes of meetings. Also I use it to track hiking trips and I'm going to use it for tracking ice-skaing trips I'm going to make next winter (wit qpegps).

The best of the Z6k: linux, screen, speed, keyboard, wifi, robustness, expansion slots
Missing: a nice belt case
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 06:26:51 pm by insomniux »
sl-6000 Sharp rom 1.12
Kingston CF-card 1G, Kingston SD-card 512M
GPS Fortuna PocketXTrack
Belt case by Piel Frama

ptexpress

• View Profile
Who has a 6000?
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2005, 09:50:32 pm »
I bought a Zaurus last November and have been using it occasionally.  Now it's the summer so hopefully I will have more time to play with it.  Wish me luck.

ken

• View Profile
Who has a 6000?
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2005, 10:27:46 pm »
problems with it for me to abandon the sharp rom. The problem with the sharp rom is that it tries to automate too many things (e.g. collect all audio files in one list, maling it impossible to distinguish between different tracks).

Try the kino2 + mplayer combination.   When 0.4.3 comes out, it should be great with the playlists and stuff.  I'm currently using it with  mplayer-bvdd_1.1.5-1_arm.ipk.  What I like about it is that it'll play m4a's as well as mp3's.

There's also the newer  musicplayer-C3000_2.0.0_arm.ipk  that might interest you, as it's like the old media player, but with more eye candy.  Of course there's also some other players ...
SL-6000L Sharp ROM 1.12 - 1G SD (RiDATA) - 2G Microdrive (Hitachi)
TRENDnet TE-CF100 10/100 (no drivers needed) AmbiCom CF56M-EZ modem (no drivers needed)