Author Topic: What would you like to see in Cacko 1.22 ROM?  (Read 46169 times)

maslovsky

• View Profile
    • http://my-zaurus.narod.ru
What would you like to see in Cacko 1.22 ROM?
« on: August 23, 2004, 11:49:10 am »
Hello everyone,

I thought it's about time to work on the next version of the Cacko Qtopia ROM. The main reason is that I was planning to include most recent versions of bluez and wifi (orinoco/hostap) drivers, and than requries patching and building the kernel, so hotfixes won't do. Here is what I planned:

- all fixes from 1.21 A and B

- use new compressed file system (quashfs) to store /usr. My tests show that it provides 10% better compression than cramfs (this gives us about 2 Mb of additional ROM space) and has a very good performance.

- include latest bluez drivers (already have them runnig perfectly on my own Zaurus). This should add support for HIP profile (bluetooth keyboards and mice)

- include latest orinoco and hostap drivers. Orinoco drivers include updated firmware for socket/symbol cards, hostap drivers support WPA and other wifi features. This will requrie to upgrade Wireless Extentions in the kernel and remove support for wnan-ng drivers. This will also make wellenreiter work out of the box. I've been using such setup on my Zaurus for months now without any problems...

- support USB CF Host via linux hotplug instead of usbmgr. The main benifit is that hostplug is all written in scripts, so it's very easy to update and support.

Those are the main points of the upgrade, but any other ideas and suggestions are welcome!

acpkendo

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 12:51:12 pm »
Any chance we could see a version of this ROM for the 5500?  I've heard great things about it, but I don't have an 8x0 series device, and would really like to see something new (esp. if it is Qtopia 1.6-based)

PsionX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 01:08:57 pm »
Hi..
i would like to see a modula structure.. for the programs. A rom with Sharp program (Calendar & Address) with Hancom suite, and a version without them to use Kdepimi & Hancom or textmaker as ipk.. same things for Video Player, Netfront or Mirror. I have a C750 with some beautiful programs, i never used  .
more reflexion .. after.
\"Beaune Avaux\" wine addict

raduga

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 02:02:57 pm »
Hello everyone,

I thought it's about time to work on the next version of the Cacko Qtopia ROM. The main reason is that I was planning to include most recent versions of bluez and wifi (orinoco/hostap) drivers, and than requries patching and building the kernel, so hotfixes won't do. Here is what I planned:

- all fixes from 1.21 A and B

- use new compressed file system (quashfs) to store /usr. My tests show that it provides 10% better compression than cramfs (this gives us about 2 Mb of additional ROM space) and has a very good performance.

- include latest bluez drivers (already have them runnig perfectly on my own Zaurus). This should add support for HIP profile (bluetooth keyboards and mice)

- include latest orinoco and hostap drivers. Orinoco drivers include updated firmware for socket/symbol cards, hostap drivers support WPA and other wifi features. This will requrie to upgrade Wireless Extentions in the kernel and remove support for wnan-ng drivers. This will also make wellenreiter work out of the box. I've been using such setup on my Zaurus for months now without any problems...

- support USB CF Host via linux hotplug instead of usbmgr. The main benifit is that hostplug is all written in scripts, so it's very easy to update and support.

Those are the main points of the upgrade, but any other ideas and suggestions are welcome!

ability to dual boot with pdaXrom, with one common kernel.

Is this something you can do, or something that needs to be fixed from the pdaXrom side? Or is it something that both the Cacko and pdaXrom people have to work together, to create?

I would really, really like to dual the two usefully.  Cacko QT rom makes a *far* better pda,  but pdaXrom makes a much more useable portable PC.

iamasmith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 02:17:55 pm »
I don't know if it's possible to get a default configuration of Keyhelper so that it knows when XQT is running and doesn't translate.

It's really nice to have / mapped on the 860 keyboard but it causes keylock issues with XQT - haven't been able to resolve this using the UseFilterApps function but only had my Z for about a couple of months so I'm still a bit new to this Qtopia stuff.

+ maybe defaults in sdcontrol for noatime on non fat formatted SD cards ?

+ have you tried XFS filesystem on SD Cards ? - don't know if this is viable, the journal may be too big. I hear that reiserfs is a min 32Mb but don't know about XFS.

Oh, and a home page for the ROM. The forum works quite well but with the home page gone I keep having to tell people that 'no I don't think Cacko Qtopia is dead even though the site bounces to pdaxrom.org

Regards,

Andy
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 02:49:40 pm by iamasmith »
OpenBSD 4.2 -current on full 4Gb of SL-C3000
Microdrive replaced with 4Gb SanDisk Extreme III card

iamasmith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 02:56:58 pm »
Hey Maslovsky,

Is this new fs quashfs or Squashfs ? if it's quashfs do you have a link to the project ? can only find a link to some .ru site which I can't read.

+ you say cramfs for the current /usr... I thought this was jffs2 and based on gzip...... gzip seems a reasonable compression for the fs. Does the compression on s/quashfs have any performance hit that you know of ????

Regards,

Andy
OpenBSD 4.2 -current on full 4Gb of SL-C3000
Microdrive replaced with 4Gb SanDisk Extreme III card

mcamou

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 03:28:03 pm »
Hi..
i would like to see a modula structure.. for the programs. A rom with Sharp program (Calendar & Address) with Hancom suite, and a version without them to use Kdepimi & Hancom or textmaker as ipk.. same things for Video Player, Netfront or Mirror. I have a C750 with some beautiful programs, i never used  .
more reflexion .. after.
Second this. How about a base ROM with no apps and then a bunch of ipk's with the extra stuff? (cal/addr/hancom/video player/etc....)

Zuber

• View Profile
    • http://www.shirtpocket.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 03:28:38 pm »
I found the sheet application very slow on this rom compared to on standard rom. Particularly at opening files.

Double and triple checked. Also confirmed by another user.

No idea why,  so if you can figure out and fix...

Also, occasionally would unexpectedly go native Japanese on me which drove me nuts.
Zuber
ShirtPocket Ltd.
www.shirtpocket.co.uk

nathanwms

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2004, 04:31:50 pm »
I'd love to see a gui bluetooth connection manager for BlueZ.  I'm learning to get things done text wise in the file system, but a gui would really help us noobs a lot.
Nathan

SL-C760, Cacko 1.22
4GB Hitachi Microdrive, 256mb SimpleTech CF, 256mb Lexar SD
Ambicom BT2000-CF, Ambicom WL1100C wifi

Mickeyl

• View Profile
    • http://www.Vanille.de
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 05:22:17 pm »
Anton, stay away from orinoco 0.15rc for symbol/spectrum cards. We have lots of problems which are not in 0.13e. I have reported that to the developers, but no response yet.
Cheers,

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer | Embedded Linux Freelancer | www.Vanille-Media.de
Consider donating, if you like the software I contribute to.

maslovsky

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2004, 05:33:58 pm »
Anton, stay away from orinoco 0.15rc for symbol/spectrum cards. We have lots of problems which are not in 0.13e. I have reported that to the developers, but no response yet.
Actualy, I've already run into them and even sent you an e-mail... I guess I'll have to get back to the proven 13e...

maslovsky

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2004, 05:36:02 pm »
Thanks, guys, for your feedback!

ability to dual boot with pdaXrom, with one common kernel.

Is this something you can do, or something that needs to be fixed from the pdaXrom side? Or is it something that both the Cacko and pdaXrom people have to work together, to create?

I would really, really like to dual the two usefully. Cacko QT rom makes a *far* better pda, but pdaXrom makes a much more useable portable PC.

I remember talking to sash some time ago about that, but we ended up with ssome technical problems (I don't remember exactly what). I'll try to bring this up again - I'd like to have such setup myself.

I don't know if it's possible to get a default configuration of Keyhelper so that it knows when XQT is running and doesn't translate.

I think I could take a look.

maybe defaults in sdcontrol for noatime on non fat formatted SD cards ?

I think it already does that...

have you tried XFS filesystem on SD Cards ? - don't know if this is viable, the journal may be too big. I hear that reiserfs is a min 32Mb but don't know about XFS.

Any particular reason for having on-typical filesystems on memory cards?

Oh, and a home page for the ROM. The forum works quite well but with the home page gone I keep having to tell people that 'no I don't think Cacko Qtopia is dead even though the site bounces to pdaxrom.org

Yes, I know   I wish I could find a person willing to maintain the site at his/her spare time. I just can't cach up with yet another peice of work... Any valonteer?

Is this new fs quashfs or Squashfs ? if it's quashfs do you have a link to the project ? can only find a link to some .ru site which I can't read.

+ you say cramfs for the current /usr... I thought this was jffs2 and based on gzip...... gzip seems a reasonable compression for the fs. Does the compression on s/quashfs have any performance hit that you know of ????

It is squashfs (my typo). We've been using cramfs for /usr for quite a while. It's a read-only file system, providing much better compression that jffs2. squashfs is even better with no noticable performance drop.

I found the sheet application very slow on this rom compared to on standard rom. Particularly at opening files.

Double and triple checked. Also confirmed by another user.

No idea why, so if you can figure out and fix...

Interesting - never noticed that (probaby because never used the original ROM
Anyway, I'll see what I can do...

Hi..
more reflexion .. after.
Second this. How about a base ROM with no apps and then a bunch of ipk's with the extra stuff? (cal/addr/hancom/video player/etc....)

The main problem is that fewer programs will fit with such a setup. Basicaly because jffs2 used for /home has worse compression than cramfs or the new squashfs. Also, I'm not sure how many people would want to install a bunch of application packages right after flashing the ROM. Maybe I'll open a poll later to find out

maslovsky

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2004, 05:37:01 pm »
I'd love to see a gui bluetooth connection manager for BlueZ.  I'm learning to get things done text wise in the file system, but a gui would really help us noobs a lot.
I suggest you keep pinging tumnus - he's been promising us a bluez gui for ages

Ling

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2004, 08:57:10 pm »
I would like to see you reduce Multimedia to one (1) full-featured player. I think that Kino2 will the appropriate codecs fills the bill.  I don't see that the redundancy adds anything and the default configuration still doesn't deal with m3u or ogm at all.

I also would like to see the buttons along the right side of my screen ( on the 860) reactivated.

Most importantly, I would like to see email fixed so that when I try to select an address for an outgoing message, the addresses are in (English) alphabetical order.

Thanks for a great ROM.
SL-C3200 w/ pdaXii13 5.3
SL-C860 w/ OZ GPE 3.4.1
Accessories: 4GB Microdrive, 4GB Transcend SD, Linksys WFC12 CF 802.11b, Ambicom CF Modem, Socket Bluetooth

snufkin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2004, 10:11:59 pm »
Hi..
more reflexion .. after.
support, e.g. someone like NetFront and some like Opera.
SL-C760
Cacko Rom 1.22a
Nokia CF BT Card
Pretec CF wifi
Lexar 1GB SD