Author Topic: Buy or not buy?!  (Read 3894 times)

DRDR

• View Profile
Buy or not buy?!
« on: September 03, 2004, 12:49:20 pm »
Hi, I am thinking about buying a C860 and I am still not that convinced about it. I would like to use it as mobile assistant for my teaching work.

This means that I want to do the following things:

1) Take notes and use it as sketchpad. Notes and sketches should be archived on the desktop.
2) Read (big) PDF-files (literature, newspaper) and annotate them by using the pen.
3) Document my daily work. This means I need something like a diary which can be exported to the desktop.
4) Run JAVA 1.1 (AWT) applets and applications on the Zaurus. While this should be able on the Zaurus, can applets also be embedded in web-pages and the browser used to display them? Also are applications possible? Do they run in individual frames which can be positioned freely?
5) Capture voice e.g. in a lecture. Does the Zaurus have a built in microphone which is good enough for this purpose?
6) Access wireless lan with IPSec.
7) Emulate a HP48 calculator.
8) Organize school classes (any software or database like software to do this?)
9) Use the Zaurus for the above tasks during the whole business day (not continously except when taking notes during lectures which can last 5 hours in total).

Do you think the C860 can be used for this with myself being only an occasional linux desktop user? Any feedback is highly appreciated. Thank you!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 12:52:29 pm by DRDR »

dliao

• View Profile
Buy or not buy?!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 09:45:25 pm »
To be honest with you, I thi nk it's probably better that you go with a laptop.

Just the point 1 itself is difficult to do since there's limited software resources for Zaurus, and probably even less for desktop support.

DRDR

• View Profile
Buy or not buy?!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 07:08:49 am »
Thank you for your feedback!

Well, I am already using a notebook but I would like to use something smaller and equally powerful with pen support. The Zaurus seems to fit into this category. If it supports Java applications one could use them on the desktop and the Zaurus...

totaln00b

• View Profile
Buy or not buy?!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 09:32:35 am »
Hi DRDR,

My 2c on your questions:

1: Note-taking sketching package- FreenoteQT- this exports to pdf and has a big canvas for drawing on/typing on etc.

2: There are a couple of pdf readers- Qpdf2 claims to have a note-taking facility but I've never tried it myself

3: There are several diary/pim options- ko/pi is good but there are issues synchronising with outlook if that's what you want; otherwise you might want to consider something like a task-manager or hierarchical note taker, there are loads of this sort of thing

4: Not sure about this one- though I do recall seeing questions about it on this forum so the answer should be easy to find

5, 6, 7: not sure I'm afraid

8: There are lots of database packages available with varying degrees of complexity. If you want flexibility and know a bit about php/apache/mysql then you can run that combination and design your own database to do exactly what you want it to

9: Battery life varies depending on the model (the 760 and 860 have a bigger battery) but you can also buy battery extenders that take rechargeables, these work well

I think with a bit of thought and investigation you could do most things you want with a zaurus, without much of an idea about linux- it's a steep learning curve to start with but great fun!

Hope this helps

Jo
CL 860, cacko  1.23 full, Sandisk 512Mb CF, Kodak 256Mb SD, Symbol Spectrum24 wifi
SL 5500, standard rom, 256Mb SD, CF GPS

DRDR

• View Profile
Buy or not buy?!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 10:16:07 am »
Thanks again for the reply.

I did some additional research on my own and found answers to the following questions:

5) It has no built in microphone, but the headphone jack also works as a microphone jack. You can even use headphones to record sound. At least someone tried it and was satisfied with the quality.
6) There is a IPsec implementation available. There is software available which works as Cisco VPN client. That's nice and necessary to access most of the university WLAN networks I know...
7) There is a HP48 emulator called X48 available, but it needs X-Windows.

Unfortunately I couldn't find information about Java Applications.

elvis

• View Profile
    • http://
Buy or not buy?!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 02:51:43 pm »
What you need is a subnotebook. Look at the Toshiba R100:

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/notebooks/To...ortege_R100.htm

DRDR

• View Profile
Buy or not buy?!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004, 02:36:20 pm »
I ordered one, got one and I am currently giving it a try. ;-)

one = a C860

So far it looks good and useful. Converting from Japanese to English was no problem at all.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 02:36:41 pm by DRDR »

Teletubbie

• View Profile
Buy or not buy?!
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2004, 03:21:42 pm »
Hi,
a Zaurus is sure a good Idea. I own two SL-5500.
For teaching I am using a tabletPC. It is one of the slim one without keyboard and it is a dream, since I can plug it to a projector and use it as a "blackboard", while having it on desk  like a "piece of paper" and looking face to face to the students  
Cheers,
Sam
SL-5500G
OZ 3.3.6-pre1
Opie 1.1.4

Omicron

• View Profile
Buy or not buy?!
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2004, 05:23:05 pm »
Thanks again for the reply.

I did some additional research on my own and found answers to the following questions:

5) It has no built in microphone, but the headphone jack also works as a microphone jack. You can even use headphones to record sound. At least someone tried it and was satisfied with the quality.
6) There is a IPsec implementation available. There is software available which works as Cisco VPN client. That's nice and necessary to access most of the university WLAN networks I know...
7) There is a HP48 emulator called X48 available, but it needs X-Windows.

Unfortunately I couldn't find information about Java Applications.

Not sure what your issue question is with Jave...

You can definately run both Applets and Appiications, and applets always run from a viewer or an html page...it is the browser that needs to recognize the applet embedded in the html page.

I am pretty sure that applets in HTMl will work fine (they definately work in the built in applet viewer) and I have done java applications myself, so I know they are fine.

Java is always a bit tougher performance wise, but not terribly so, especially if the developer keep a good eye on resources.

For example. NES emulator works fantastic with complete sound on C860, but MAME runs aweful even with sound off.   Niether of these is doing rocket science, but MAME is obviously not optiized for the Z as the C860 has plenty of power to run MAME...if it were coded and optiized speciafically for the Z....but as a simple port it demands too much...

What I a trying to say is applet and applications will be fine, provided they are coded effieciently (good) or specifically for the Zaurus (better).
"You Shall Not Pass"    
....Gandalf, Lord Of The Rings
--------------------------------------------------------------
C-860 (Cacko), 3x4gb MD  
DLINK 660W, 1GB SD,  
Upgraded Archos AV320 w/80GB HDD
Pocketop and Targus IR keyboards
Favorite Deal Site: SaveCity.net (pretty cool, good deals daily on one page)

DRDR

• View Profile
Buy or not buy?!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2004, 06:41:23 am »
Do you know how to configure Netfront or Opera for Java Applets?

DRDR

• View Profile
Buy or not buy?!
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2004, 05:26:50 pm »
Just a quick posting to say THANK YOU to all users contributing to this site. By reading here I managed to buy a Zaurus from Japan, to install X-Windows and to run my Java Applets. THANKS! :-)

p.s.:

While running GIMP is cool, using it might be a bit difficult, because the user interface elements are really really tiny. Running Java Applets inside a webbrowser would be nice but seems to be impossible. Syncing my Desktop (Outlook) with the Zaurus PIMs seem not to work, but maybe the router IP address is the problem. I will see...

So what to do now? ;-)

mgrab

• View Profile
Buy or not buy?!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2004, 03:52:01 pm »
Would you describe the IPSEC settings that are on it?
Thanks,
Matt