Author Topic: unbricking?  (Read 5053 times)

saakmotu

• View Profile
    • http://www.bpang.com
unbricking?
« on: September 29, 2004, 03:01:08 pm »
I've read the threads here  (and at other boards) and I can't get any of the proposed solutions to work for me.

I have a sl5000d which I managed to render unbootable/unflashable.

When I try to flash (from either C+D or Diag Menu CF Update) both LEDs get stuck on. I've left it that way for hours.

The only thing I haven't tried is to reformat my CF card (I have to put files onto it from a WindowsPPC device) but I've previously flashed from the same card. OZ worked in the past, and I tried it before attempting OSPACK.

Right now, it's stuck with both LEDs on with OSPACK for ROM 1.02, the oldest I could find.

I can still get the Diag Menu, so I'm not looking at a 100% brick, but it's pretty close.
Also, my Diag Menu used to have 4 pages, now it only has 3.
clicking on "Version" in the bottom right does show the ROM as USA 3.10.

I'm going to pick up a CF card reader/adapter so I can plug the CF directly into a Linux desktop/laptop and reformat, etc, but I can only hope that makes a difference.

During my quest I've read that in the most extreme cases that a Z can be sent back to Sharp and they can use something (starts with a J...??) to revive the unit.
Is there any way for a normal (read: non-Sharp) person to do this? Sure would be nice, wouldn't it?

Thanks for any help and good luck to others who find themselves in a similar predicament.
bricked(?) sl5000d
sl5500 tkcROM
sl5600
sl6000-L
Many sd/cf memory cards
Linksys wcf12 CF WiFi - Dlink CF Wifi - Xircom CompactCard Ethernet 10
Sharp CF Camera
SerialI/O usb cable - iRiver PMP USB Host Adapter Cable

tapjpa

unbricking?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 03:17:59 pm »
From that fact that the version of the ROM is showing USA 3.10 it appears that you tried using the 5500 ROM instead of the 5000 ROM.
Try getting the most recent 5000 ROM off Sharps DevNet before it goes away in the next couple days. I beleive the most recent is Ver 1.39 for the 5000.
If this won't solve your problem your probely looking at sending it in for repair.

Here is a link to the 1.39 ROM http://www.zaurus.com/dev/tools/downloads/...5UpdateV139.zip

rgzu

• View Profile
unbricking?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 03:47:10 pm »
At least you had *some* activity. When I bricked mine, I had no LED's at all so hopefully you can resurrect it. Otherwise if you have to send it in for repair, be aware that they charge an arm and a leg. The labor charge listed for mine was a whopping $95! I now have the Sharp ROM 3.13 and knowing the cost of repair I am *very* reluctant to mess around with further flashing of other ROMS! Still with the cacko patch I can finally use my Sony Ericcson phone :-) If the reflash was only the $50 I wouldn't be so reluctant LOL

saakmotu

• View Profile
unbricking?
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 04:49:50 pm »
thanks for the advice.. I already have the 1.39 ROM. I'm supposed to rename it from ROMIMAGE to Ospack, right?
Will let you know, hopefully will have good news.

I think it's JTAG that I was refering to.
http://openwince.sourceforge.net/jtag/

Does anyone know how to use this or if it will help? It looks promising, or at least that it's intended for this sort of usage. I will continue to research it.

Hey, if I can manage to do it somehow, maybe I'll go into biz fixing bricks.
bricked(?) sl5000d
sl5500 tkcROM
sl5600
sl6000-L
Many sd/cf memory cards
Sharp CF Camera

tapjpa

unbricking?
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 09:49:37 pm »
No you don't need to rename the file.
See instructions here http://www.zaurus.com/dev/tools/readme139.htm

saakmotu

• View Profile
unbricking?
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2004, 11:42:13 am »
still no luck. I have yet to receive a CF card reader so I can hook up directly to my linux box to reformat and transfer from something other than my PPC device.
thanks for the advice
bricked(?) sl5000d
sl5500 tkcROM
sl5600
sl6000-L
Many sd/cf memory cards
Sharp CF Camera

saakmotu

• View Profile
unbricking?
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2004, 04:21:42 pm »
I went out and got a card reader, reformatted the card and tried both OSPACK and romimage re-flashes to no avail.

At least I like the card reader
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Pr...oductTabDetails
$7.99 from J & R (I took the subway so no shipping charge)
Works great with my Debian desktop for those who are interested/looking for a multi-format card reader... but I digress.

I am also noticing now that in the Diag Menu, the RAM write check stops about 25% of the way thru and hangs.

Still waiting for the coroner's official report, but I think that rigormortis is starting to set in.

I put a post into the JTAG mailing list (http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum=openwince-list) but haven't received a reply yet. I'll pass on any useful info, if any.

rgzu, Did Sharp detail what they had to fix when they sent it back? $95 might seem like a lot, but just today a 5000d sold on ebay for $127.
Also, how did you get in touch with Sharp for repair? I'm going to try calling the number on the website for the customer assistance center.
bricked(?) sl5000d
sl5500 tkcROM
sl5600
sl6000-L
Many sd/cf memory cards
Sharp CF Camera

lpotter

• View Profile
    • http://qtopia.net
unbricking?
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2004, 04:45:30 pm »
try taking out the battery for 10 minutes with the power unplugged. OSPACK image is for 5500 ONLY. The most recent Sharp rom image for the 5000d is 1.39. Do NOT try the ospack on a 5000d.
Stick the battery in, plugin the power,Then try a reflash with the proper romimage
Software Engineer, Systems Group, MES, Trolltech
irc.freenode.net #qtopia
http://qtopia.net

saakmotu

• View Profile
unbricking?
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2004, 07:29:02 pm »
I took the battery out for a couple of hours (and removed AC power) and got a fresh romimage from the zip that tapjpa linked to.
Same result. hung up with both leds on.
thanks for the recommendation.

I'm going to leave it in this hung flash mode until I tire of looking at it. Who knows, maybe it will finally get the point that it's supposed to heal itself.

Would sure be nice if Sharp would make the tools available that allow us to unbrick our devices ourselves.

I'm going to call them tomorrow (got too busy today) about repair options/possibilities and I am also going to try to talk to some tech guys and see if there are any other home remedies, etc.

good luck to all other brickees
bricked(?) sl5000d
sl5500 tkcROM
sl5600
sl6000-L
Many sd/cf memory cards
Sharp CF Camera

saakmotu

• View Profile
unbricking?
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2004, 03:15:21 pm »
here's the response I got from someone at the openwince-list
at least I'm facing the right direction.
----
You need three things:
1. bootloader's binary
2. JTAG cable
3. JTAG connector (or pads) on the target hardware (zaurus)

Then it could work.

But, you are writing that you could see the Diagnostic Panel. I've no
experience with the Zaurus, but it sounds like software name. In that
case you probably already have working bootloader in the device. Only
target system (operating system image) is broken.

Using JTAG you could reflash whole flash memory in the device, but it
is slow (depends on JTAG cable, ...) and you need binary image of the
memory.
----

does anyone know how I might acquire a "bootloader's library" ?
or a JTAG connector for the Zaurus?
I think I can figure out where to get the cables... else there are a few sites with instructions on building your own... (not so sure about doing that, tho)
bricked(?) sl5000d
sl5500 tkcROM
sl5600
sl6000-L
Many sd/cf memory cards
Sharp CF Camera

rgzu

• View Profile
unbricking?
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2004, 09:09:15 am »
saakmotu,

If you find out where you can get instructions to build a JTAG cable equivalent or at least buy a ready made one inexpensively I would be very interested too. I hear the JTAG cable is very expensive and that Sharp won't sell them anyway.  It goes without saying that I need to find the appropriate software too.

If I had a way to ressurect my Sharp no matter what I'd be more inclined to try out all the various great ROM combinations out there!

genxweb

• View Profile
    • http://www.genxweb.net
unbricking?
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2004, 11:19:11 am »
At least you had *some* activity. When I bricked mine, I had no LED's at all so hopefully you can resurrect it. Otherwise if you have to send it in for repair, be aware that they charge an arm and a leg. The labor charge listed for mine was a whopping $95! I now have the Sharp ROM 3.13 and knowing the cost of repair I am *very* reluctant to mess around with further flashing of other ROMS! Still with the cacko patch I can finally use my Sony Ericcson phone :-) If the reflash was only the $50 I wouldn't be so reluctant LOL
   When I bricked mine it only cost me the cost of shipping it to them. The 10 bucks with insurance. They though took their sweet a_ _ time to fix it and get it back to me, over a freaking month. Though now I have the 3.13 rom to. I am also scared of flashing to any other ROMS, i use to flash to another rom once a month or more. I suggest you call teh sharp number and talk to them about the price.

saakmotu

• View Profile
unbricking?
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2004, 12:14:24 pm »
I haven't had much opportunity to further the JTAG cable research. Hope to get around to digging a little deeper sometime this week. If anyone else can contribute to this part of the discussion, that would be great!

I did call Sharp to explore all of my options. I was told that there would be a $50 evaluation fee plus a $10 [return] shipping charge. Of course, I would have to ship it there on my own dime(s).

The support tech. thought that the $50 would be applicable towards the repair costs. She didn't have any info about what it might cost (repair center doesn't share that data with tech support), but she did feel that it would be repairable, although she also had no stats to back that up (based on the fact that I can get a Diag Menu and that it's not physically broken, to which I would be inclined to agree with).

She also mentioned that they may offer a trade-in option [for other Sharp products/Zaurii?] if it's determined that it either can't be fixed or if I felt that the repair costs would outweigh the value of the repair.

I haven't decided what to do yet. Re-attempting a re-flash after leaving the battery out for many days (last ditch effort to resurrect it by normal means) as she suggested. Neither of us thought there would be any change, but it was worth a shot.

Can anybody else who has sent their units back to Sharp comment on what condition it was in when you sent it and what the cost was, etc?

thanks
bricked(?) sl5000d
sl5500 tkcROM
sl5600
sl6000-L
Many sd/cf memory cards
Sharp CF Camera

rgzu

• View Profile
unbricking?
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2004, 02:59:48 pm »
genxweb,

When I bricked mine it only cost me the cost of shipping it to them. The 10 bucks with insurance. They though took their sweet a_ _ time to fix it and get it back to me, over a freaking month. Though now I have the 3.13 rom to. I am also scared of flashing to any other ROMS, i use to flash to another rom once a month or more. I suggest you call teh sharp number and talk to them about the price.

Already have and that is the price they charge. Was yours a warranty repair though?   If not then they were being *extremely* nice to not even charge the evaluation fee.

If ever there was a case, of charging a ridiculous price 'because they can' then I certainly was a victim of it, hook, line and sinker...!

Maybe they increased the price now? I know Psion did that dirty little trick too. ie it cost me just $30 when I sent my series 3 palmtop in for a hinge repair the first time. When my psion needed another repair, all of a sudden they were charging a $150 flat fee for any repair regardless. For a simple repair, I thought I don't think so and it has remained in my cupboard ever since then. At first it sounded like, oh well at least if you needed a new screen it may be a good price, but I am sure that in the small print they basically said they may charge additional if needed.

saakmotu,

gzu, Did Sharp detail what they had to fix when they sent it back? $95 might seem like a lot, but just today a 5000d sold on ebay for $127.

No offense, but the price they charged me was a ripoff in my opinion. Like I say, I would have had no problem with the original $60 they wanted. In fact your quote actually proves my point, I looked on ebay and for not much more I could get another 5500 and kept my original for spares if nothing else! At least that way I would feel my money was spent well.

genxweb

• View Profile
    • http://www.genxweb.net
unbricking?
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2004, 03:37:59 pm »
genxweb,

Already have and that is the price they charge. Was yours a warranty repair though?   If not then they were being *extremely* nice to not even charge the evaluation fee.

If ever there was a case, of charging a ridiculous price 'because they can' then I certainly was a victim of it, hook, line and sinker...!

Maybe they increased the price now? I know Psion did that dirty little trick too. ie it cost me just $30 when I sent my series 3 palmtop in for a hinge repair the first time. When my psion needed another repair, all of a sudden they were charging a $150 flat fee for any repair regardless. For a simple repair, I thought I don't think so and it has remained in my cupboard ever since then. At first it sounded like, oh well at least if you needed a new screen it may be a good price, but I am sure that in the small print they basically said they may charge additional if needed.

saakmotu,

gzu, Did Sharp detail what they had to fix when they sent it back? $95 might seem like a lot, but just today a 5000d sold on ebay for $127.

No offense, but the price they charged me was a ripoff in my opinion. Like I say, I would have had no problem with the original $60 they wanted. In fact your quote actually proves my point, I looked on ebay and for not much more I could get another 5500 and kept my original for spares if nothing else! At least that way I would feel my money was spent well.
Nope I bought mine on ebay no warenty. I called them for three weeks tryign to get updates and spoke to managers askign what the issue was. I was told it would cost me 35.00 to repair plus shipping but was never charged any of it except to send it to them.

Go figure. They run a shady service if you ask me.