Author Topic: Installing screen protector?  (Read 2442 times)

nyar

• View Profile
    • http://
Installing screen protector?
« on: October 19, 2004, 05:11:21 am »
Howdy,

Just tried to install an "Overlay Brilliant" screen protector onto my SL-C860.  First I wiped the screen of the SL-C860 with a slightly damp tissue, then cleaned it off as there was some dust on it.  I then took the sticker off the top of the screen protector, wiped off some dust, then applied it to the screen, sticky face down.

It's sticking, but I'm seeing loads of air bubbles.  Is this normal?  It's very noticable, both with the machine off and on.

zbones

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 07:28:29 am »
you need to smooth out the bubbles with a soft cloth as you apply the protector.

you may be able to peel it back to the bubble then smooth it back down with the cloth.

It took me two attempts as I kept getting dust in there.
Zaurus cl760, cacko QT rom. Zaurus sl5500 with TKCrom 1.0.
512mb Kingston cf card, 256mb Sandisk sd card, Lexar 256mb sd card.
Bluemonkey bluetooth card <-> Sony Ericsson k700i for gprs.
Buffalo WLI-CF-S11G wifi card. Haicom 303 mmf gps cf/seral card.

Xumbi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 01:39:12 pm »
I'm on my second overlay brilliant screen protector, and I'm waiting on a third in the mail.  I keep getting dust under the screen (it's my own fault).  As long as you apply even pressure it should look fine.  Oh yeah, and make sure you're using the right piece, the heavier of the two, that was one of the mistakes I made  

stupkid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 03:12:32 pm »
I'm using the Overlay Brilliant screen protector.  They are great, however, they're a major pain to get it on correctly without bubbles.  I did it in a brightly lit room.  I cleaned off the screen, let the screen dry and then blew off any dust/lint.  Lightly mist the protector with water (not too much water or it will get behind the screen) and slide down the right side (or left if you prefer) and squeeze out the bubbles as you lay it down.  Quickly squeeze out any remaining bubbles once the screen is completely level and let it dry.  Once the water has dried it will look great.  Every person that has seen my Z has always asked "So, do they have screen protectors for these?" and they are quite surprised when I tell them "Yeah, it's already on it".

Hope this helps!

Zaurus SL-C3200 pdaXii13v2 5.5 / Ambicom WC1100C-CF / Socket Bluetooth Rev G

OpenMoko FreeRunner - Running Tweaked OM2008.x Image

nyar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 08:56:17 pm »
I actually cleaned the back of the protector (sticky side) with water; this a bad thing?  Does the sticky stuff wash off?

nyar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 05:46:26 am »
This is going to sound amazingly stupid, but I'll note it as others may have the same problem.

I didn't realise that the screen protector had a plastic covering that peeled off, which would reveal the real sticky stuff; instead, I thought the screen protector stuck to the screen by static electricity (which seemed to be working, but I had loads of bubbles).

I've got it on now properly, and minus some bubbles (my mistake), it's on fine.

Zuber

• View Profile
    • http://www.shirtpocket.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 07:26:15 am »
NoComment  
Zuber
ShirtPocket Ltd.
www.shirtpocket.co.uk

Stubear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 10:04:24 am »
Howdy,

Just tried to install an "Overlay Brilliant" screen protector onto my SL-C860.  First I wiped the screen of the SL-C860 with a slightly damp tissue, then cleaned it off as there was some dust on it.  I then took the sticker off the top of the screen protector, wiped off some dust, then applied it to the screen, sticky face down.

It's sticking, but I'm seeing loads of air bubbles.  Is this normal?  It's very noticable, both with the machine off and on.
Don't take the protector cover (the one with the sticker on it) off before attaching it to the screen.

Pull it back about 1cm, attach that part to the clean screen, and then pull the sticker so that the cover sheet comes off and the protector sticks to the zaurus screen, do this slowly and smoothly nad you won't get any bubbles. If bubbles start to form, stop and rub them out before you continue.

If you are really anti-dust do this is a steamy room (the steam captures the dust and stops it sticking to the screen)

When the overlay brilliant is on properly you won't even notice it. I had a friend who is a Palm user, pick up my Z, use it for 5 minutes than say "You really want to get a screen protector for this you know". He was shocked when I showed him the hardly visible edge of the overlay brilliant.

Note: Do not get the overlay plus, they have a matt finish to cut glare and give a foggy unfocused look to the screen. Had one for 1 day before it drove me crazy and I ripped it off.

Stu
SL-C1000, Hand converted to English with Japanese Input
Running X apps via X/Qt
iRiver USB host cable; Diatec P-Cord usb power cable (extendable); Acro's Reel Cable USB (A to A, B, Mini-B,  & Mini-B 8pin); GreenHouse 1Gb PicoDrive+; 2x256Mb Hagiwara SD cards; 128Mb Transcend CF card; 512Mb PQI CF card; AmbiCom WL1100C-CF 11B WLAN card

Xumbi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 12:15:53 pm »
3rd time is a charm!  My 3rd overlay brilliant screen protector came a few days ago.  I ran the shower real hot for about 10 minutes, cleaned my screen, took my time applying it, now it's almost impossible to tell that it's installed, it looks great.