Author Topic: Debian with Xqt  (Read 97615 times)

smuelas

• View Profile
Debian with Xqt
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2004, 07:09:07 am »
Thanks melonhead for your comments but, really, I haven't done anything for myself. I simply got Xqt and Pocketworkstation and make them work together. To arrange the keyboard is my only contribution and I did it just reading " man xmodmap"  once installed Debian.
My answer is due to your comment on XMMS. It runs wonderfully so you must have done, or not done, something...
Remember that  the 6000. uses mad for sound. So, you must install a couple of packages: first "xmms" and then "xmms-mad". If doing it is not enough, apt-get upgrade.
The "story" about speed is another one. Taking into account that the 6000 is not exactly a "thunder", I find the speed "reasonable". The big difference that I have found is the time it takes to launch the application: one whole minute for firefox. But once you have it on the screen, it works quite well. I use always swap, as otherwise I have found some troubles, specially instal
Zaurus SL-6000  --  Microdrive Hitachi 6Gb placed permanently on CF slot.

ShiroiKuma

• View Profile
Debian with Xqt
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2004, 09:01:50 am »
Thank you for the advice/ smuelas. I'll try right away.

The last question I have/ is regarding suspend/resume freeze-up.

I didn't want to format my CF as ext2, so I created a 500 MB mountable file, formatted as ext2, as outlined in this thread.

This works great, with one big problem: when you suspend the zaurus and then resume, the CF locks up.

Is there any way to solve this, without unmounting the file before every suspend.

If not, does formatting the CF as ext2 work, i.e. does it not lock up that way if you suspend and resume without exiting XQt.

Would a mountable file on SD work? Or would only formatting the SD work. Or would even this not work and you have to exit XQt before suspend every time? (Obviously you wouldn't need to unmout the whole SD, or so I hope.

What are the options?

Thank you.
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']Das ganze tschechische Volk ist eine Simulantenbande.[/font][/span]
Militäroberarzt Bautze

iamasmith

• View Profile
Debian with Xqt
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2004, 09:24:44 am »
Thanks Smuelas, for your help.

It runs now. One more question I have is I get a ton of these perl errors:
Code: [Select]
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
 Â           LANGUAGE = (unset),
 Â           LC_ALL  = (unset),
 Â           LANG = "ja_JP.eucJP"
 Â     are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
How can I remedy this?
If you just want to get rid of the messages try exporting the following variable...

PERL_BADLANG = 0

Hope this helps,

- Andy
OpenBSD 4.2 -current on full 4Gb of SL-C3000
Microdrive replaced with 4Gb SanDisk Extreme III card

smuelas

• View Profile
Debian with Xqt
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2004, 12:34:43 pm »
rehorrericha,
I have only tested CF formated as ext2 and using the standard Sharp ROM. I cannot help with the other issues.
I do suspend/resume with Debian as with Qtopia and have found no difference. Just one click to suspend and another to resume and my Debian screen is there....
smuelas

ShiroiKuma

• View Profile
Debian with Xqt
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2004, 09:19:41 am »
Hmmm, I formatted my CF to ext2. Now I can suspend/resume without freezing, however it kills the IceWM and drops before the chroot command. I.e. I'm still in su, but have to do chroot... and start icewm again.

Why is this?
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']Das ganze tschechische Volk ist eine Simulantenbande.[/font][/span]
Militäroberarzt Bautze

smuelas

• View Profile
Debian with Xqt
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2004, 09:58:56 am »
I have no idea. Xqt is just a program running and it should not be killed due to suspend/resume.
If your problem is just with Icewm, perhaps you should launch it from a rxvt and "minimize" this rxvt. You can open another and work on it. Also, try to launch Ice from the "sh" shell, before going to "bash". This is what I usually do and I have no problems. Also it is true that I haven't tested it doing a lot of suspend/resume. ...
smuelas

MSC_Geek

• View Profile
    • http://
Debian with Xqt
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2004, 12:46:21 pm »
Smuelas,
     Thanks for all the info, it has emboldened (is that a real word?) me to play around a bit.  I have almost gotten it working, but I am still having a problem.  My config is a little different, I am running the stock Sharp Kernel that shipped with my 6000.  

I have a 128M CF card which holds a 64M swapfile.  Instead of putting debroot on a CF or SD card I have a 40G USB drive that I formatted ext2 and mount from the VGA terminal.  

I can chroot to it with no troubles, and I can start icewm, but when I click on the icewm logo button (where the start button would be if this were windows) I don't get a menu, the screen just goes all grey, and then back to the xwindow background with the icewm terminal.  Is this supposed to work?  

I haven't tried any apps yet, so if there is something I should run from a console to test, let me know.   Thanks.
Sl6000 w/ Expansion Sled
128M San Disk CF
512M PNY CF
pdaxrom

smuelas

• View Profile
Debian with Xqt
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2004, 09:04:47 pm »
MSC Geek,
I don't think that it can be problems in using a USB disk, althought I don't know which is the "usb conecction on the VGA terminal"...
How do you launch icewm?  Do you add an ampersand after? Do you set the display?
It could be good if you write exactly the instructions given after "chroot".
Also, you can try some application existing in the pocketworkstation dist. as, for example, xedit or vi... and tell us the result.
Anyway, it seems that you haven't fight a lot yet ...;-}
smuelas

gab74

• View Profile
Debian with Xqt
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2004, 06:11:22 am »
Only a starnge problem,
when i startx from icon and appears bash shell....
my keywoard doesen' t work ( the space bar doesen't work so i cannot make
chroot ......)

Why this ???
Gabriele
NOW : C3100 (code name Laudicus)- SOCKETCOMM CF MODEM 56K - CF GPS GLOBASAT BC-307 - BLUETOOTH CF BELKIN - ETHERNET CF TRENDNET TE-CF100
BEFORE: SL6000L (code name Anselmus) - 512MB SD - 256MB CF - SOCKETCOMM CF MODEM 56K - CF GPS GLOBASAT BC-307

gab74

• View Profile
Debian with Xqt
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2004, 11:40:22 am »
When i start icewm  no desktop appears but there is only rxvt terminal ...

Why there isn't no desktop icons ??? I see in the screenshots there is icewm desktop but on my sl6000l i can only see rxvt terminal

I FOLLOW THE INFOS ON SMULEAS SITE and on thi topic too why this ??

Thanks FOR YOUR HELP

Gabriele
Gabriele
NOW : C3100 (code name Laudicus)- SOCKETCOMM CF MODEM 56K - CF GPS GLOBASAT BC-307 - BLUETOOTH CF BELKIN - ETHERNET CF TRENDNET TE-CF100
BEFORE: SL6000L (code name Anselmus) - 512MB SD - 256MB CF - SOCKETCOMM CF MODEM 56K - CF GPS GLOBASAT BC-307

MSC_Geek

• View Profile
Debian with Xqt
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2004, 11:48:54 am »
Smuelas,
    You were correct, it was not related to my USB disk.  As for what I meant by the VGA terminal, I use the terminal app that came with the Z to mount everything.  Probably a moot point, but at the time wasn't sure.

I launch icewm without the ampersand, mainly because I can't get the xmodmaprc file to load properly.  It keeps telling me line 1 out of range or some such, goes all the way through line 7 and then aborts.  I am still working on what is up with that.

I was able to apt-get -u upgrade and could even install mozilla-thunderbird.

I think my problem is the menu fonts in icewm are too large.  When I start Tbird I can see the title bar for the window and then 3-5 characters fit on the screen.  These suckers are at least an inch tall, possibly 1.5".  If that is what is happening in my icewm menu it would explain my earlier issue.  I don't have much exp with icewm, so I am not sure how to change fontsize or what config file to edit.  Which fonts are you using?

Thanks for starting this thread, I knew I wanted to do a distro on my Z, but there wasn't enough out there for me to figure out how to start.
Sl6000 w/ Expansion Sled
128M San Disk CF
512M PNY CF
pdaxrom

gab74

• View Profile
Debian with Xqt
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2004, 03:00:44 pm »
Why when i try to install locales i receive :

UNKNOWN TERMINAL: KTERM

Check the term enviroment....
and many other errors....

Any helps ?
Gabriele

melonhead

• View Profile
Debian with Xqt
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2004, 05:31:00 pm »
Why when i try to install locales i receive :

UNKNOWN TERMINAL: KTERM

Check the term enviroment....
and many other errors....

Any helps ?
try

apt-get install kterm

stbrock

• View Profile
Debian with Xqt
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2004, 06:12:10 pm »
I've gotten this message and avoided it by pointing the TERM variable to xterm instead with:  

export TERM=xterm
If this works for you, you'll probably want to put that line n one of your startup script files rather than typing it in each session.  If you're getting other errors too, this might not be enough to fix things.

smuelas

• View Profile
Debian with Xqt
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2004, 07:41:23 pm »
I am answering the last messages. I apologize if I haven't explained with the needed detail the steps  that I have done for the Xqt-Debian installation process.
Many of theese steps can be done in different ways. For example, I am using Linux as my only O.S. for, at least five or six years ago and usually to begin a session I'm used to have a  " .bashrc "  file in my home directory where I stablish some personal prefernces, like alias and also some special "general paths" as Java's paths and also library paths.
Althought practically all the actual Linux distributions use KDE or Gnome or both as their default desktop, I have always installed "Icewm" as a variant for certain kind of work. So, I know quite well Icewm, not in depth, just the few details or tricks that make my life easy.
Now let's go to certain details:
The first is to tell you that each day I am more and more surprised of how well works this "mixture". I have never thought of having such an impressive tool in my hands as it seems to be now the SL-6000. And this is due, basically, to the very good job done by the creators of Xqt and to the incredible wealth of software provided by Debian. I have had only ONE serious problem with a pac