Author Topic: Status Update..  (Read 40322 times)

ikm

• View Profile
    • http://
Status Update..
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2004, 09:21:16 pm »
As much as I love joking with the guys and posting notes about them torturing us... I think you need a reality check.

These guys are doing all of this work as volunteers.  They had high hopes of releasing it this weekend, but don't want to release crap and bugs, so they've decided to wait for a solid release.

How can your feelings get hurt from this?  I actually appreciate it when they give 'estimates' for a release date. 

If you were actually paying sash for his full time work on the pdaxrom project, then that would be another story...
I second this wholeheartedly. I would actually appreciate even more feedback from pdaXrom team -- what's going on, what to expect, early hopes, interim speculations and late revelations -- it's all much more interesting than just a plain silence  As long as it is marked accordingly, everybody would be comfortable with that.

People who are uncomfortable with that should really get a grip on reality. Nobody's hurting them, other than the fact they are hurting themselves.

Zumi

• View Profile
Status Update..
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2004, 02:09:48 am »
I don't think I'm the one who needs a reality check now. I think pdaXrom team needs a reality check, if they can't estimate the release time for 2 days ahead.  
I know that pdaXrom guys are nice and they do a good job, and I try to help them as I can.
So, I really don't want you hurt you guys, neither Laze, nor Sash, but I'm always upset when people just talking and their words have no weight. (hey, you can change RC1 to RC7 and you get this topic: here)

This wanted to be a positive critic. Take it as that. One day or two really don't matter, it's just the mentality who bothers me.
Zumi
SL-C860: pdaXrom 1.1.0beta1
SD: 1GB A-data, GPS: Haicom HI-303S, Bluetooth: Nokia DTL-1 CF, CF WiFi: ASUS SpaceLink WL-110
Browse user contributed packages for pdaXrom!

Laze

• View Profile
    • http://www.pdaXrom.org
Status Update..
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2004, 03:39:42 am »
Zumi and others, i agree and as i wrote im very unhappy with the delay which is mainly due to problems from my side..

Regarding changelog i didn't know you people were looking for that.. So have a look - it take raw from my internal list and might contain rubish for outsiders.

Bug list:
Code: [Select]
SL-7500 is not able to be updated!      
AbiWord defaults to Times New Roman ...      
gnumeric crashes        
Backlight switches with Z when lid is closed  

Linksys WCF12 (and WCF11) using wrong kernel module    
Ambicom card not detected    
Corega WLCFL-11 Prism2 CF WiFi does not work  
Buffalo WLI2-CF-S11 not working    
Socket WiFi Card Drivers need patch      
Orinoco driver patch        
Space Link WL-110 not work    
Socket Wifi CF 6004 REV B (fixed with above)  
CF Modem and Network cards not supported  
Socket Bluetooth CF ver. G,H    
AbiWord launches random windows    
wireless applet feature request    
'PPP Modem' offers missing /dev/ircomm by default    
/home ownership      
gdb doesn't break at breakpoints      
Gaim Segfault      
gaim quits when MSN sending    
Xserver hangs on C860        
WIFI Applet icon disappears...    
onscreen keyboard icon has different beh..  
fdisk shows extra empty partition      
dosfsck thinks logical sector size is zero  
CPU 100%      
FN keys for brightness and zoom    
backlight brightness control keys?      
Extra key mappings        
Jog Dial Scrolls Horizontally instead of Vertical    
Left side scroll        
Enable Jog Wheel in Portait mode    
Suspend from the keyboard    

From our misc list:
Code: [Select]
- Configuration of shortcut keys etc.
- configuration of right/middle click
- ntpd auto load at boot
- Unable to hide keyboard by taskbar icon when xvkbd have been rotated and after quiting it,
 Â it won't launch from applet again.
- Screenblanker(long mp3 playback program) added
- xvkbd resizing when using different keyboard layouts/window titles
- default dillorc settings
- /etc/pcmcia/pcmcia updated
- xset s 0 after matchbox load (mbsession)
- ntpd.conf replaced at boot/card insert (network fix)
- Make it possible to set wireless setting for default profile - if not wireless just write "empty" defaults
- Write "default" wireless config always no matter if its wireless - so it can fallback to "open"
- Support for configuring NTP servers in datentime.py
- xvkbd implemented as default keyboard/applet
- Timezones added
- Rdesktop added to feed
- Battery low warning i GUI
- NTP time support/NTP program
- New onscreen keyboard http://homepage3.nifty.com/tsato/xvkbd/ - xvkbd
- ReiserFS,NTFS and CDFS support
- Updated to latest wireless extensions (w16)
- Dillo size/font problem fixed
- Taskbar for running programs
- New Wireless applet
- Various "glitches" in networs settings tool.
- Added support for Euro,Pound(Sterling) and Yen directly on keyboard, fn+p = Pound, fn+k = Yen, fn+s = Euro
- Added support for keyboard suspend, shift+"home" button will suspend/poweroff Zaurus
- Links has been compiled with support for -g paramet.
- /sbin/sltime -set should be added to timendate.py
- update /usr/bin/xkbdlauncher - add "-in cat stuff.

Hope this solves some of you questions - furthermore please also notice that almost all programs in feed have been update, like Firefox 1.0, Thunderbird .9, Gaim etc.

There are surely somethings i have forgotten..
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 03:40:41 am by Laze »
C760 running pdaXrom lastest ;-)
SL5500 Running Cacko Qtopia
512 MB SD Card, 128 MB CF Card, Prism2 CF Wlan.

Always visit http://www.pdaXrom.org for latest news.

BVer

• View Profile
Status Update..
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2004, 08:53:55 am »
the delay is ok for the thing of such complexity; sometimes it cannot be estimated very precisely --  it is always "quality versus deadline" question, which may be an emotional issue.
personally i prefer waiting few more days for some important bugfixes. the pdaXrom team is doing great work and we all should be patient and support them.

however, i completely agree with ikm:
I would actually appreciate even more feedback from pdaXrom team -- what's going on, what to expect, early hopes, interim speculations and late revelations ... As long as it is marked accordingly, everybody would be comfortable with that.
i am looking forward to the new release!
-bver
z: c860 pdaXrom 1.1.0 RC8
pc: Gentoo 2004.2

Laze

• View Profile
Status Update..
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2004, 09:26:03 am »
We will try to improve the feedback from us to the endusers - but the problem is everytime we post something we are bombarded with problems/questions etc. which again take time away from the project.. Basically we queitly watch the forums and look for good ideas..

ikm

• View Profile
Status Update..
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2004, 09:44:12 am »
We will try to improve the feedback from us to the endusers - but the problem is everytime we post something we are bombarded with problems/questions etc. which again take time away from the project.. Basically we queitly watch the forums and look for good ideas..
If you wish to raise the quality of your readers, you can choose to run a mailing list -- basically, when people have to subscribe, they pass kind of a stupidity test :) Besides, mailing lists feel much more productive to me.

Silently watching for ideas is not the best way in that people 1) don't know if they are just talking in vacuum and hence have no incentive to post 2) they can't provide further corrections/suggestions in case you are interested 3) they just don't know the current development problems/issues/ideas to suggest about, since you don't talk about them much :)

ostense

• View Profile
Status Update..
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2004, 09:49:48 am »
It is great to get a date for release, but also the team is doing this in not paid time and that is impressive !! Even though I am eager to get started with the new rom I rather have some initial information and maybe have to wait longer than stated then not to know anything. It is great that Laze keep this forum updated, and it is also great that they take the time they need.

Laze

• View Profile
Status Update..
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2004, 10:02:07 am »
ikm - i agree - hopefully many of these things will be fixed with new website and more time on my hands -- now back to fixing..

sonicbuddha

• View Profile
Status Update..
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2004, 10:33:06 am »
Thanks alot for the changelog post.  Now I know what will be fixed and what to look forward to!  It also tells me what to be ready to experiment with when I get my hot hands on the new release!  I am more than ready to wait, knowing that each day makes it a better release.  Hey, its great to know pdaXrom is an active project, constantly moving forward.  Keep up the great work!
C860 running pdaXrom 1.1.0 RC9
Full 121Mb root
home on Kingston 512Mb SD card
Pretec WiFi

g33k

• View Profile
Status Update..
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2004, 10:57:21 am »
With all the people interested in the new release, sweatin' Laze about it, it's pretty lame to look at the Donate-o-meter on the pdaXrom site and see that they've only received $69 so far this month. The work they're doing is tough and requires skills that most of us don't have. I just made a donation and challenge all other pdaXrom users to go and do likewise!

Oh, and Zumi: shut the hell up. I can't believe you're so triflin'.

DaveAnderson

• View Profile
Status Update..
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2004, 11:14:13 am »
Just so Laze and company know, the immaturity portrayed in this thread by various members does not represent the overall Z community.  There are those of us that appreciate your work and will not whine when it is delayed.

Finally, I do hope that those whining have contributed respectable amounts to the pdaXrom team.  Otherwise, you have absolutely NO RIGHT to complain.

pgas

• View Profile
Status Update..
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2004, 11:28:56 am »
We shouldn't start a flame war about this.

Some were disappointed (some more than others).

Of course you can complain providing that it is constructive, for instance I guess Laze has now learnt that he should not to give firm date but some indications like soon, very soon and such.

Donating doesn't give you a special right either, it's not like  you sign a  contract with  them or something  (try to hire an enginer for 2 months for 1200 dollars) It's more like a measure of our interest in the project.  

Let's just wait calmly.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 11:30:05 am by pgas »
SLC-860 cacko / senao wifi

Chero

• View Profile
    • http://users.telenet.be/zaurususer/Chero
Status Update..
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2004, 11:53:28 am »
I'm glad they didn't release this weekend !!  

Let me tell you why:

I read about the new RC coming out this weekend, but, remembering what happened with previous RC's, I thought :"Laze is just teasing us again." He knows how much we want it, and he's got it.

My computer was turned on from friday evening just untill sunday evening.
I checked the ZUG and pdaXrom site every time I walked by (it's between the kitchen and the living-room), so I checked it quite a lot actually.

Sunday afternoon I started thinking :"I'm right, he's teasing us, he did it again, ...", but I kept on checking the ZUG and pdaXrom-site.

Sunday evening, I was still checking about every 30', my wife asked me "what does that computer have, that I don't?" And I asked "Why do you ask ?" then she said : "I'm sitting on the sofa, unbuttoned my blouse, no bra and all you do is run around between the sofa and the computer !" I laughed   , shut down the computer and ... we had a nice, long and hot evening and night !

Today I keep asking myself : "What if Laze released yesterday evening ?"  
You know, I just don't want to know !!
So Laze, thanks for not releasing !!  

The longer you want something, the better it gets when you finally have it !

Looking forward to RC6-7.
pdaXrom and team ROCK !

Cheers,
Chero.  
HP-95LX -> HP Jornada 680 -> SL-C860 -> SL-C3100 -> Fuji u810 -> SL-C1000 -> HTC uni -> SL-C860 -> SL-C760.
March 12 2009 : Back because the Zaurus is one of a kind.
SL-C760 : pdaXrom
Pandora pre-ordered -> received and tested : great device but not my cup of tea -> sold.

DaveAnderson

• View Profile
Status Update..
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2004, 12:03:12 pm »
We shouldn't start a flame war about this.

Some were disappointed (some more than others).

Of course you can complain providing that it is constructive, for instance I guess Laze has now learnt that he should not to give firm date but some indications like soon, very soon and such.

Donating doesn't give you a special right either, it's not like  you sign a  contract with  them or something  (try to hire an enginer for 2 months for 1200 dollars) It's more like a measure of our interest in the project.  

Let's just wait calmly.
Donating doesn't give you a special right either, it's not like  you sign a  contract with  them or something  (try to hire an enginer for 2 months for 1200 dollars)

Donating should give them no right either, but it would at least be more understandable.  

And believe me, the same people complaining now will be complaining when they get a 'real soon' now statement instead.

gretchen

• View Profile
    • http://www.gretchenann.com
Status Update..
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2004, 12:59:11 pm »
With all the people interested in the new release, sweatin' Laze about it, it's pretty lame to look at the Donate-o-meter on the pdaXrom site and see that they've only received $69 so far this month. The work they're doing is tough and requires skills that most of us don't have. I just made a donation and challenge all other pdaXrom users to go and do likewise!
Done!

And despite the silly comment I made earlier, I bear no hard feelings toward the team for the delay.  I work in tech support and it has happened to me many times where we think we will have something done at a certain time and it doesn't happen because something doesn't go as planned.  

We should all remember too that the Donate-o-meter only updates once a day.

I can't thank you guys enough for pdaXrom in the first place.  It has made my Zaurus into a true mini laptop and if I had to, I could use it as my main computer.  It's one of the best things that has happened to the Zaurus.
Zaurus SL-3200 Being Shipped
AmbiCom WL1100C Wireless Card