Author Topic: Full Debian On The Sl-c3000  (Read 28204 times)

pierro78

• View Profile
    • http://seattlefrancophone.info
Full Debian On The Sl-c3000
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2005, 01:18:55 am »
hello, could someone please tell me how is the performance of firefox on Debian on C3000 ? on this thread : https://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10257&hl= they say that firefox takes 1'20" to load on a C750  ... Thanks ! Pierre

tellsis

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2005, 11:55:25 pm »
hey everyone,

i'm still very new to my c3000 and linux especially. (a friend of mine installed linux for me on my desktop computer and i can figure a few things out myself but i'm not an expert)

i'm wondering how easy would it be to take debian off of my c3000 or how easy it would be to clean my system and refresh it back to defaults after i've installed debian?

is their a guide out there that shows how to?

thanks

MRNUTTY

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2005, 09:42:58 pm »
i run a zImage from a freind from stayla.com to enable the GPRS card i had. this is very important to me. however i am at a roadblock in creating a miniworkstation i crave so much. will this interfer with this newkernal? or is the same suppport embidioedin the steyoa kernal available with this full debian!
thanks for qreat work!
John

mulveyr

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2005, 10:27:49 pm »
Nice work on the HOWTO, etc.  I got Debian running on my 3000 without any problems.

Only one problem that I've seen - how do I simulate right-mouse clicks?  From what I've seen on some fbvnc pages, I should be able to press the ADDRESS key while clicking, to simulate one.  But that doesn't work.  Nor does FN-OK toggle the backlight.

I presume that this is a keymap issue - but I'm lost.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

wiredog

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2005, 07:46:09 am »
FN+Ok works if you've installed the 'backlight' script referenced on this page.  There's a couple other useful scripts there too.

I have no idea how to get right or center clicks working.

Can't get wireless set up either.  Still trying to figure out which scripts I need to edit and which drivers I need to copy over.  Especially difficult as the keymapping wrt vi doesn't seem to work properly.

Also, if anyone has any idea how to get a larger font in aterm (I've found out how to change every font but that one) I would really appreciate it.  My eyes are almost 40 years old and the default font is just too darn tiny.
Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Elleomea

• View Profile
    • http://www.mikeasoft.com
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2005, 10:12:46 am »
Also, if anyone has any idea how to get a larger font in aterm (I've found out how to change every font but that one) I would really appreciate it.  My eyes are almost 40 years old and the default font is just too darn tiny.[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=72236\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Edit ~/.Xdefaults and add a line like this:

aterm*font: -*-clean-medium-r-*--14-*-*-*-*-60-*-*

You can use a program like xfontsel to generate X11 font lines in a more user friendly way.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 10:14:23 am by Elleomea »

TronDD

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2005, 07:45:29 pm »
Nice work on the HOWTO, etc.  I got Debian running on my 3000 without any problems.

Only one problem that I've seen - how do I simulate right-mouse clicks?  From what I've seen on some fbvnc pages, I should be able to press the ADDRESS key while clicking, to simulate one.  But that doesn't work.  Nor does FN-OK toggle the backlight.

I presume that this is a keymap issue - but I'm lost.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=72206\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Middle and right clicks aren't very clean.  You have to jump through some minor hoops.  Fbvnc has the following special key combos on the C3000:

Fn + Calandar -> zoom out
Fn + Address -> zoom in
Fn + Mail -> cycles 3 mouse types
Fn + Home -> rotate display
Fn + Menu -> toggle OSD

The mouse indicator on the OSD shows which mouse type you have selected with 0 dots,  1 dot, or 3 dots.  They function as follows:

0 = Calandar -> left click | Address -> middle click | Mail -> right click
In this mode, the keymap is a bit messed up which is really inconvenient.

1 = Tapping the screen -> left click (This is the default mode, I believe)
3 = Tapping -> left click | tapping + Address -> middle click

N8DNX

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2005, 10:07:22 am »
Thanks everyone for all the great information. I managed to get debian up and running pretty quick on my unit and am starting to figure it all out.

One thing I realized is that you can start Vncserver from inside a terminal window in QTopia. Once I did that I was able to connect to it over the USB from my laptop and ended up with the QTopia display on the C3000 and the debian display on the laptop. Then I tried also running Fbvnc from inside the terminal window and it said ...

"You appear to be running Qtopia. Unless the Qtopia VT switching bug has been fixed on your system, fbvnc won't be able to activate. If you get an error on starting, terminate Qtopia and try again from the console:"

Then it gave the instructions for starting it the way we've been doing and ends up at the password prompt. Entering the password doesn't show any problems. This is interesting, but I don't know what to do to be able to switch the display between fbvnc and QTopia. Anyone have a clue? Could it actually do this?

Also managed to trash the WiFi stuff (separately from installing debian). Now have it to where it loads the prism2_cs module, but wavelan-ng is still having problems. Needed something else to do anyway.

Chuck

bmsleight

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2005, 11:21:33 am »
Well, the original environement (QTopia) is still present if you need it, but it isn't run at all when you use the debian system (well, the sharp kernel is still used). The debian comes with it's own X server, and you can run any windows manager you like.

If you want to get back to QTopia, you'll have to reboot the zaurus. There is maybe a better way, but I don't need it so I haven't searched in that direction.
Hi Again Newbix,

After forgetting the root password and not knowing the emergency linux login. (Remove battery, hold down d+b ). Then managing to brick my zaurus, then debrick it, I back with debian,

Anyway in my travels I found out how to go from QTopia->Debian->QTopia->Debian etc without reboot, uptime is important! [Reboot sounds like another OS I dont use.]

[Exit QTopia -  as root]

killall qpeserver
killall qtsamba
/home/root/usr/bin/chvt 2
/home/root/usr/bin/chvt 1
exit 0

This will give you a linux promot to login and launch debian, with Vncserver, Fbvnc. [Found this on a google cache of an old forum. ]

[Exit Debian -  as root]
exit

Now to find a battery applet in IceWm.....

My Escape (cancel key) does no appear to be mapped the same way to give escape while in debian - but I sure this is trival,

Regards,
Brendan

jpmatrix

• View Profile
    • http://matrixmen.free.fr
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2005, 07:52:32 am »
i've tried both Debian and Debian w/X-QT and for now i find that Debian-X/QT is simply great and easy to use, as you can swap from original Sharp Rom and Debian-X in a single tap, and use the sharp rom facilities (network, cards, ...)

did someone succeed in making single Debian as easy to use ?
**Fujitsu U1010 !!!  
**ex-Zaurus SL-C3000 owner with Debian kernel 2.6.24-yonggun

ronba

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2005, 11:40:43 am »
Thank Newbix for your quick HOWTO, I have a debian on SD card which turns correctly on my SL-C1000.
For the keyboards C1000/C3000, use fbvnc-hack with the option -hw c3000 and not -hw c700.
SL-C1000 beta-1.1.0
 Sony U101 Linux

Leinadmx

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2005, 12:43:51 pm »
Hi group, good day!
Anybody knows if you install Debian, Is it possible change the screen orientation automatically when you rotate the screen??

I mean change from 640x480 to 480x640 when you rotate the screen.
Could it be possible??

Best Regards,

Elleomea

• View Profile
    • http://www.mikeasoft.com
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2005, 07:00:26 am »
- the on/off button does not work. Pressing it does not suspend the device, but rrunning zsuspend does (and after that, the on/off switch *does* unsuspend!)
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=60048\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Link zsuspend to /usr/local/bin/. It's called by fbvnc from outside the chroot when it detects the on/off button being pressed, and since by default it is in /hdd3/debian/usr/local/bin (which isn't in your PATH) it doesn't find it.

jh

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2005, 08:46:33 pm »
Is the source available for the "hacked" fbvnc?  i'd like to take a look at the keymappings and such.

Working real nice on my C1000!

Thanks!

jason

jh

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2005, 09:47:28 pm »
By the way... opie-keypebble (available in OZ 3.5.3) is working nicely as a vncviewer... only strange thing I've found so far is that the enter key sends ctrl-a instead of enter.  You can juse ctrl-j as a workaround, though, but I'm hoping to take a look at why that is.

jason