Author Topic: Software That Installs On C3000!  (Read 6519 times)

devster

• View Profile
Software That Installs On C3000!
« on: December 13, 2004, 06:49:20 am »
Hi all.

I spent too much time finding and installing s/w that works on the C3000. Many of the other Z model applications either DO NOT INSTALL OR DO NOT WORK. Pity.

So, to save everyone else in the world having the same level of BS that I experienced, I've created mirror of all the software that I was finally able to install.

Now, its not a comprehensive list and there's a few quirks, but lets get this list of C3000 IPKs and easy-to-install packages happenin!

For now, I've dumped it on the site:

http://at.dev.at/resources.html#C3000

If I need any corrections, please message me. This list should be for opensource/gnu applications ONLY. I'm not sure of the ROMS, so for now I have disabled those. I realise these files are available elsewhere, but no-one has a C3000-friendly list available!

Shortly, I'll post a wishlist of s/w I can't get installed ;-)

cheers,
Devon

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 10:51:53 am »
Hi Devon,

Thanks for your post and webpage.

Meanwhile, have tried using K/PI apps but no luck so far on my C3000...have installed the libs and apps, etc, but when I try to open the apps I just get that 'crash image' on the app icon I'm trying to open.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

devster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 04:42:01 pm »
I installed all the files I have listed, and it worked straight up for most of the apps (KA,KO,KP,KT for example)

However, for OM/Pi and I think one other, it would go to load and do the crash image as you said.

I fixed this by installing openssl, which a couple of the apps need:

openssl_0.9.7d_arm.ipk

(which was suggested elsewhere in the forums btw)

I have also found something interesting, if you want to be able to change settings in KA, you dont want KT to crash when exiting, and change cofig options in OM, you have to set these to run in root mode.... I tried changing the file permissions, to no avail, but giving it root privs works.

cheers,
Dev

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 09:36:57 pm »
Thanks for the tips, devster!

Will give it a shot...

Mark
MacBookPro

devster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2004, 05:49:06 am »
Also, if keen on getting NES emulator working for the C3000, use the attached file, place in the .znester dir

This handles the keymappings, since the default keymap is screwed. Read the file for the keys.

cheers,
D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2004, 05:58:41 am by devster »

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2004, 06:59:09 pm »
Thanks again, devster!

Mark
MacBookPro

maybeinterested

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 11:06:04 am »
Anyone try to install rdesktop? -Would sooo much like it to work! Do RDP every day on my several old Windows machines.

Will have my new c3k unit on the 29th and currently gather all possible ipk:s and hardware to make my zaurus experience as enjoyable as possible.

spartan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 01:29:03 am »
Yes, there is a remote desktop application for the C3000.

The link didn't work (to the actual download), so enjoy the attachment while it lasts.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 01:32:21 am by spartan »
C3000 with Tetsu v18d Special Kernel and Sharp 1.11JP ROM
1GB Lexmark SD, 2GB Mini SD, Socket Revision H Bluetooth, Ambicom Wi-Fi

ThC

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004, 04:49:29 am »
I spent too much time finding and installing s/w that works on the C3000. Many of the other Z model applications either DO NOT INSTALL OR DO NOT WORK. Pity.
correct me if I'm wrong but ... don't all the software made for the standard sharp rom work ? I think the problem with other packages not installing is due to major kernel differences between roms (latest pdaXrom and OpenEmbedded/OpenZaurus use a special software FPU in their kernel wich would prevent programs compiled for these environment to run on others ... you'll also have lib problems as sharp rom doesn't have any libgtk nor x11 libs nor opie libs nor gpe libs ... btw I think you may be able to use pdaXrom 1.0.5's stuff importing it's libs and running them with X/Qt
SL-C3000 - pdaXrom 1.1.0Beta1
SL-C860 - pdaXrom 1.1.0 RC8 (charging circuitry dead :( )
CF RamStar 512 Mb / Hitachi 4Gb microdrive (thanks to creative's muvo² :p)
SD Sandisk 1Gb / Viking 256 Mb
Linksys WCF13 CF wifi card

Anyone willing to donate for my work, please consider donate to pdaXrom and/or OE/OZ projects instead, I wouldn't have been able to do anything without them ...

devster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2004, 06:52:12 am »
screen issues and lib issues, sometimes dont even install or crash icon, but dont think because the apps are for other roms or X...Im no expert tho! This is the point ...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 07:00:47 am by devster »

maybeinterested

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2004, 01:21:43 pm »
spartan: Thanks!  

ThC: Makes a lot of sense!

devster: We'll just have to wait and see a few more days... Hope to be able to report a success install to the list...

socalluckdragon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2005, 08:00:47 pm »
I installed all the files I have listed, and it worked straight up for most of the apps (KA,KO,KP,KT for example)

However, for OM/Pi and I think one other, it would go to load and do the crash image as you said.

I fixed this by installing openssl, which a couple of the apps need:

cheers,
Dev
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=57860\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

In trying to install this suite on my C3k I keep getting the following error:

"The filename of this package includes character this application can't handle.  Please change the filename and retry install."

I initially did a bunch of reading in this and other forums and thought the issue might be the ipks that I was attempting to install might be for ROMs other than the Sharp ROM, but ipks that specifically claim to be for the Sharp ROM yield the exact same error.

Is this something you've seen and solved?  Any thoughts or solutions you could share would be helpful.

TIA,
Josh

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2005, 09:08:59 pm »
Josh,

FWIW, I've got the apps working on my C3000.

I did find that one of the available versions didn't work. So I tried a newer version and it worked.

Recently, I installed the latest version and it worked too.

So maybe try another one.

HTH,

Mark
MacBookPro

socalluckdragon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2005, 01:37:08 pm »
Josh,

FWIW, I've got the apps working on my C3000.

So maybe try another one.

HTH,

Mark
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=65639\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Ok...I finally figured it out.  Problem between chair and keyboard. :/  Somehow in my migration of files from various computer systems onto my SD card, a dirctory name with a space got into the mix.  I know that this can usually be escaped out when calling it in various *nix, but the Z seems to use the Yen symbol as an escape rather than ^ or \ (not sure if that is part of the problem or if the ipkg program just can't cope).  At any rate, I changed the directory that was holding all of my ipk's on the SD card from having a space to a dash and all works well now (zaurus files to zaurus-files).  I finally discovered this issue by using the comand line ipkg rather than the GUI.  And I feel appropriately dumb now, because I was being overly reliant upon the GUI tools and one of the reasons for buying the Z was my many years experience with *nix.  Grrrr.....

Josh

perseus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2005, 12:08:25 am »
Thanks for the useful link Devster. I am loving my Z even more! One question though, is Kopiemail capable of displaying html? I set up my e-mail but even when I click on the tab to display either in text mode or html I still do not see the images. They are gray rectangles.

Is there a way to set this functionality? Could some one recommend an e-mail app that can display html?

Thanks.