Author Topic: Kathrin RC8 Is Out..  (Read 32726 times)

cs_jacky

• View Profile
    • http://
Kathrin RC8 Is Out..
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2004, 06:59:48 am »
Hi,

I have a persistent problem with Rc8.
Whenever I change the date/time on my Z and do I suspend and subsequent wakeup from the GUI my keyboard and stylus input freezes.
After wakeup I see the clock being reset to the last systemtime *before* the date/time change.
System still runs afaict because if I wait long enough the clock gets updated.

I do not have NTPD running.
It happens if I change date/time with the 'date' command or the 'ntpdate' command.
It does not matter if I have my Wifi card inserted or not.
I have *all* updates installed which are available in the current feed.

Any ideas?
8 out of 10, I have the same problem after resume from suspend. Is ti a bug?

shula

• View Profile
Kathrin RC8 Is Out..
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2004, 07:01:04 am »
System still runs afaict because if I wait long enough the clock gets updated

And ... file access-times (& mtime) are currect?
Is it only the clock applet ?

How does it "refresh" with the "right time", or when ?
C860, pdaxrom rc8,
with Gnumeric as the perfect PIM :-)

mcorino

• View Profile
Kathrin RC8 Is Out..
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2004, 07:36:19 am »
Hi,

I have a persistent problem with Rc8.
When X is running you can currently only change the date/time using the Date & Time application because it has to restart openbox afterwards (due to the way timing is handled in the matchbox applications and applets).  Setting the time when X isn't running (i.e. from the console before you run startx) is fine.  ntpd is also not affected because it doesn't "set" the clock it adjusts its speed to gently shift to the correct time (except in the ntpd script that runs at bootup, it "sets" the clock).  If you need to periodically use date or ntpdate to set your clock then have a look in /usr/bin/datentime.py (lines 53-57) to see what it does after setting the clock.

Matt
Sorry I did not mention this in the original post but I *did* change the date/time when X was not running (since I had some earlier problems changing the dat/time when it did).

I just tested changing time/date using the applet and I did not have any resume problems anymore:-)

Here's the funny part though:-/

if I set the time correctly using the applet, than exit the GUI and run ntpdate, start the GUI,
suspend and resume: everything OK;

if I set the time off by f.i. 30 minutes; exit the GUI, run ntpdate ..... ;clock gets set back to time I set using the applet and input freezes up again.

It seems to me there is some reproducible error here dependant on the timedifference between time set by the applet and time set by 'date' and/or 'ntpdate'.

I'll do some more tests with NTPD running as well (I removed that because in the beginning I had problems with that as well).
C860 running pdaXrom 1.1.0 Kathrin RC8
1 Gb SD Card, Sitecom WL-015 CF Wlan.

Wolfie_Fox

• View Profile
    • http://www.wolfie-fox.co.uk
Kathrin RC8 Is Out..
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2004, 02:14:11 pm »
Hey, me again.

I got my WiFi and internet working on my Z and I couldn't be happier, this is a great ROM      

But, I was wondering if there is an easy way to update all installed packages at once.

E.g..
You add a new button in Package Manager that when pressed will connect to the feed that you have set in the Settings tab and will compare version numbers from every package that you have installed to packages located in the feed. When it comes across a package in the feed with a newer version number to what's installed it will prompt you that there are updates available for 'list of packages installed' and will ask weather or not to install the newer versions.

Now I know nothing about programming for Linux so I have no idea how difficult such a function can be written but it would be a nice feature to have in one of the next Package Manager updates.

That's for the GUI Package Manager, I don't know if it can already be done from command line as I try not to bother with it, too much text for my simple mind  hehe.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 02:31:08 pm by Wolfie_Fox »
[img]http://www.furnation.com/wolfie_fox/misc/Wolfie_Fox_Sig.jpg\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]
Sharp Zaurus SL-C760
• 256MB SD Card
• LA-4137 Spectrum24 CF WLAN Card
• LSE039 Armadillo CF Bluetooth Card

Laze

• View Profile
    • http://www.pdaXrom.org
Kathrin RC8 Is Out..
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2004, 02:38:49 pm »
Wolfie_Fox: this can be done from command line with ipkg upgrade. The problem with doing it from the package manager is that it would "destroy" or kinda misbehave if you were updating some of the running elements like the GUI and packagemanager etc.
C760 running pdaXrom lastest ;-)
SL5500 Running Cacko Qtopia
512 MB SD Card, 128 MB CF Card, Prism2 CF Wlan.

Always visit http://www.pdaXrom.org for latest news.

mcorino

• View Profile
Kathrin RC8 Is Out..
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2004, 03:31:45 pm »
I tested with NTPD running and the effects are identical as with running ntpdate from the commandline.

At boot NTPD will sync my systemtime (if I have the Wifi inserted of course) but after I start up the GUI and suspend and attempt to wakeup the input is frozen again.
This all in case the systemtime is more than a few seconds off from the synced time (I guess it has to be minutes).

The problem here is that this makes NTPD essentially useless for me.
I my case it could easily be that the Z lies around suspended for more than a day and after so long a time the systemtime will be substantially off from 'real' (NTP synced) time when I wake it up.
Everytime this is the case NTPD would nicely sync the time at some point and at the next suspend/wakeup cycle my input would freeze again.

The datetime applet however manages to change the time without causing the freezing effect.
What's different here and could this method also be used with NTPD, date and ntpdate?

mcorino

• View Profile
Kathrin RC8 Is Out..
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2004, 05:18:53 pm »
Good news! (at least for me)
I solved my own problem (for now).

Looking at datetime.py I found the difference in calling the applet to change time
compared to calling date or ntpdate are the commands 'sethwclock' and 'sltime -set'
issued by the applet after changing the time.
When I issued these commands manually after calling ntpdate my susepnd/wakeup
problems were gone as well!

I have now added these commands to my 'apm' script calling them the Z is going to suspend
(just before the 'suspend' command itself and this works!
I now can call ntpdate anytime I want (or have ntpd) update the time.

Is this something to add to the standard distrib or is it a little too crude?

Laze

• View Profile
    • http://www.pdaXrom.org
Kathrin RC8 Is Out..
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2004, 05:46:58 pm »
mcorino - kinda crude - but maybe we will end up with this solution if we don't come up with a better..

Heck half the fun of using linux is solving the problems - if you wan't a running and 100% sleak desktop use Windows ;-)
C760 running pdaXrom lastest ;-)
SL5500 Running Cacko Qtopia
512 MB SD Card, 128 MB CF Card, Prism2 CF Wlan.

Always visit http://www.pdaXrom.org for latest news.

shula

• View Profile
Kathrin RC8 Is Out..
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2004, 03:47:03 am »
lol
i did a vb project on pocketpc/winCE, and i assure you - not only it isn't 100% sleak; you just CANT solve the problems :-)
C860, pdaxrom rc8,
with Gnumeric as the perfect PIM :-)

ScottYelich

• View Profile
    • http://www.zaurususergroup.com/modules.php?opmodload&namephpWiki&filei
Kathrin RC8 Is Out..
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2004, 09:44:58 am »
mcorino - kinda crude - but maybe we will end up with this solution if we don't come up with a better..

Heck half the fun of using linux is solving the problems - if you wan't a running and 100% sleak desktop use Windows ;-)

sleek is not code for crappy?

c'mon -- wind desktop is a joke...

aol aim?  can't stop the advertisements...
can't move the window off the top.  solution, find "sticky notes"
and paste, alwyas on top, over the gaim advertisements.

cant move windows off the top.

can't REALLY(easily) switch window behaviour, key strokes, and
previous, not really skinnable, etc.

bah bah bah, we don't need to get bogged down in advocacy, but
c'mon, there's no freedom and no choice.  If you want sleek, you
HAVE to run non-windows.  If you want spandex -- one size forced
to fit all, then by all means do windows.

Look at pdaxrom -- mb? sure... what about xfce4, etc.... just straight X?
you have a choice -- freedom of choise is where we ARE today, not
just where we want to go.

Scott

decker

• View Profile
Kathrin RC8 Is Out..
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2004, 07:06:02 pm »
Hi all.

I've used pdaxrom 1.0.0 and 1.0.5 and Kathrin rc3(? maybe 5?) and had no real problems. With RC8 I get an "Oops: RO flash error" when installing it. I have a c860 and have tried from an SD card and a CF card, redownloaded the zip and checked it's md5 a few times.  I have following Philo's install instructions exactly and always get this problem. I also tried changing the size of the root partition to 45,47,50,64,120 and 121mb, all give the same error. After the error, it does boot up, however it's missing /var and a good deal more (startx doesn't load TS calibration, or anything really). I've since reinstalled 1.0.5 and it had no problems. Has anyone else run into this problem ?

Thanks for all the effort, it is appreciated

scatha

• View Profile
Kathrin RC8 Is Out..
« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2005, 05:44:50 pm »
if any of the c700 owners out there are having the weird cursor dance, use this to fix it (well it worked for me)    

echo 75 > /proc/driver/w100/fastsysclk

makes the whole thing rock solid & RC8 is just awesome ... incredible work guys !!!!

offthefront

• View Profile
    • http://
Kathrin RC8 Is Out..
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2005, 04:38:18 am »
if any of the c700 owners out there are having the weird cursor dance, use this to fix it (well it worked for me)   

echo 75 > /proc/driver/w100/fastsysclk
Thanks, that worked for my C700 as well. Do we know that just changed? This is the first pdaxrom that I've had the dancing cursor problem on.
Sue.

scatha

• View Profile
Kathrin RC8 Is Out..
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2005, 04:10:18 pm »
nah, no idea on that ... laze would have to comment   atleast it works even if it is alittle slower than normal

weird thing about it is that initially i could use other values ie. 95 but then that all stopped and 75 is the only usable one *sigh* ... unless i imagined it all

gene

• View Profile
    • http://www.fastcube.com
Kathrin RC8 Is Out..
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2005, 01:09:45 am »
I too am having troulbe with getting my wifi to work using WEP. I have a Linksys WC12 card and rc8 with the latest upgrades. Still, no matter what i try i can not connect to my AP using WEP key. I had RC5 earlier in the day and it was working just fine. Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks!!!