Author Topic: Ok, No More Major Issues In Cacko 1.22?  (Read 19884 times)

Ian

• View Profile
Ok, No More Major Issues In Cacko 1.22?
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2005, 11:37:55 pm »
I have an SMC 2642W card - doesn't look like it's been mentioned here yet. The new ROM thinks it is that 200 mA one, "Zcomax Xi-325H 200mW" I think (sorry, I haven't got the card with me) and I can't get it working.

I can't find the hostap.conf file - where is the file please, and how do I work out what to put into it to ID my card?

Thanks
Ian.

cmpayc

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2005, 03:17:14 am »
Did you reboot the Z after installing the VNC server?
Yes, I did.

Additionally I have noticed that my Z reboots (Win-like :-) after uninstall of VNC-Server on 1.22 Lisa.

Best regards

Cmpayc

dwagelaar

• View Profile
    • http://soft.vub.ac.be/soft/members/denniswagelaar
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2005, 04:23:17 am »
I've the same problem with the VNC server as cmpayc... Rebooting doesn't help.
Zaurus SL-C1000 / Cacko ROM 1.23
Planex 802.11b WiFi CF
1GB PNY SD card
LowePro D-Pods-40 carrying case

solighten

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2005, 04:44:03 am »
I can't find the hostap.conf file - where is the file please, and how do I work out what to put into it to ID my card?
Hi Ian,

the filename is hostap_cs.conf and it is located under /etc/pcmcia

If your card is reported as "Zcomax Xi-325H 200mW" it has the same manfid as many other cards (for example my D-Link 660W).

You can just edit the Zcomax entry.

Use the command

cardctl ident

to find out what your card reports and change the entry accordingly.

Regards, Jan
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 04:45:23 am by solighten »
SL-C860 - PdaXrom 1.1.0r197
2GB SD XStore 2GB CF SanDisk
Wlan D-Link DCF 660W

mikew

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2005, 05:59:38 am »
Has anyone managed to use a swap file in RAM?

Can create & attach using SD card, but cant attach using RAM, with a failed to attach swapfile message, swap file creation is also slightly different, RAM goes 33% then completes while SD card goes 33%, 66% then complete.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong as I would prefer to use some of my 56mb of unused flash memory for the swap file.

Mike
C3200, C760 Cacko 1.23 ROM, 1gb SD, 1gb CF, WiFi, Imate Jasjar & Psion Netbook

maslovsky

• View Profile
    • http://my-zaurus.narod.ru
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2005, 07:35:18 am »
-The confounded backlight issue, which was never resolved in the previous version and continues to be a problem. I often prefer the backlight set to the lowest level, but in this setting it will do unexpected turn-off kind of things (there was a thread just the other day describing this in full, i did so a few months ago)

I'm aware of the problem but I have no sulition ther than setting minimum level via hardware keys... Sorry, you have to thank Sharp for not providing the source code for their Qtopia version...

-There are some issues with kino that may or may not be suitable for a hotfix. Probably the easiest or least intrusive of these is that when kino is playing back, all the key strokes are directed to it, even if it's in the background. This makes eg browsing a bit difficult, as the arrow keys don't work as expected.

Kino2 will be updated, but not too soon. As a workaround, you can reasign keys in kino2 to those not used by the browser.

-Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the expected dtm filename case was changed from 1.21. Not sure how that would have happened, but i had to change the case of my old data files so they would overwrite the new ones.

The problem is that you should have created a tarball of your DTM data instead of just copying it. When you copy files over FAT formatted card, case is not preserved. I've updated Cacko FAQ to reflect this.

The included email client is pretty much worthless as it doesn't support enough options (secure connections, for example) for me to use it. I installed OM/Pi for the first time right after flashing, and i haven't found any reason not to replace the default email app with it. Excellent program. I can understand the hesitation to replace the other (almost equally inept) default PIM apps because of the syncing and dtm issues, but i don't believe that's an issue for email.

OM/Pi doesnt properly support non-latin character sets. It completely blocks GUI when retrieving mail from large mailbox.

Secure connections can be easily setup with existing email client by using stunnel, which is included in 1.22 ROM. For example, I'm reading and writing email from my Zaurus using Google mail, which requries SSL connections.

And browsers... this is an area that has me confused. When i got my z from a previous owner seven months ago, it had opera 7.30 installed. Now, the brand-spanking-new 1.22 rom has 7.25, which (still) has issues that a mature browser just shouldn't have (don't get me started on netfront). Why is a version months old the standard for our shiny new ROM?

Because personaly I saw absolutely no difference between 7.30, 7.55 and 7.25, and 7.25 is the release version from SL-C6000.

ev1l

• View Profile
    • http://bbshuffle.blogspot.com/
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2005, 07:40:56 am »
Anyone know what I am doing wrong as I would prefer to use some of my 56mb of unused flash memory for the swap file.
You're not doing anything wrong, mas already said RAM swap wasn't working yet.

maslovsky

• View Profile
    • http://my-zaurus.narod.ru
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2005, 07:44:13 am »
Has anyone managed to use a swap file in RAM?

Can create & attach using SD card, but cant attach using RAM, with a failed to attach swapfile message, swap file creation is also slightly different, RAM goes 33% then completes while SD card goes 33%, 66% then complete.

Mike
No, you can't create a sapfilw in RAM, although option is present...
I've updated FAQ with this info.

ev1l

• View Profile
    • http://bbshuffle.blogspot.com/
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2005, 11:43:00 am »
I'm aware of the problem but I have no sulition ther than setting minimum level via hardware keys... Sorry, you have to thank Sharp for not providing the source code for their Qtopia version...
Is the API open? Might be able to re-write your own applet.

Flandry

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2005, 06:04:47 pm »

I didn't realize the hardware keys used a different means.  It does seem to work properly that way... thanks!

The problem is that you should have created a tarball of your DTM data instead of just copying it. When you copy files over FAT formatted card, case is not preserved. I've updated Cacko FAQ to reflect this.

Wow, that's a nasty "feature" i wasn't aware of.  Is that just for the Z or for FAT flash cards in general?  Thanks for clearing that up, the problem made no sense to me.

OM/Pi doesnt properly support non-latin character sets. It completely blocks GUI when retrieving mail from large mailbox.

Secure connections can be easily setup with existing email client by using stunnel, which is included in 1.22 ROM. For example, I'm reading and writing email from my Zaurus using Google mail, which requries SSL connections.

Okay, i'll check out the new FAQ and see if stunnel will work for accessing my school account.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 06:06:21 pm by Flandry »

kopsis

• View Profile
    • http://kopsisengineering.com
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2005, 07:04:46 pm »
I'm noticing a problem with the KeyHelper support in 1.22 ...

Using the Home+Any feature to launch the apps configured in keyhelper.conf works fine, but setting up keyhelper.conf to assign @qcop actions seems to have no effect. Assigning @text actions works correctly, as does @exec. I'm guessing this may be a known problem since the keyhelper.conf entries for CyrInput "nextKbdLayout()" messages are commented out, but I don't know if it's been "officially" reported.

As a workaround, it's actually possible to do the following:

M = @exec /opt/QtPalmtop/bin/qcop QPE/TaskBar "showInputMethod()"

But it's a lot slower than if KeyHelper were doing the qcop directly

Not super critical, but I think it's worth putting on the bug list. Or if you want to shoot me a copy of the source for CyrKeyboard (PM me for my email), I'll be happy to see if I can find the problem
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 07:05:16 pm by kopsis »

stupkid

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2005, 07:09:49 pm »
Wow, that's a nasty "feature" i wasn't aware of.  Is that just for the Z or for FAT flash cards in general?  Thanks for clearing that up, the problem made no sense to me.
That is a feature of FAT.  FAT is case insensitive just like the OS it was made for.

Zaurus SL-C3200 pdaXii13v2 5.5 / Ambicom WC1100C-CF / Socket Bluetooth Rev G

OpenMoko FreeRunner - Running Tweaked OM2008.x Image

Ian

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2005, 11:27:42 pm »
Hi Ian,

the filename is hostap_cs.conf and it is located under /etc/pcmcia

If your card is reported as "Zcomax Xi-325H 200mW" it has the same manfid as many other cards (for example my D-Link 660W)....
Thanks for the reply, Jan.

But, it looks like the hostap_cs.conf file only changes what is displayed on-screen, or I just don't know what's going on. I looked at the format  and I deleted everything except the SMC 2642W (which was in there but had the "manfid" field commented out).

It still doesn't work - with my modified .conf file, the LED comes on on the card but stays on (while trying to detect it). It doesn't ever get to the point of being connected to the Zaurus (i.e. ejectable). At least when the C860 thought it was the Zcomax I could eject it cleanly, although I couldn't connect the the network.

Unfortunately I haven't got much time to play around (and do I really have to reboot it every time? I'm pretty clueless about this stuff...)

Thanks,
Ian.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 11:28:37 pm by Ian »

aszalea

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2005, 02:12:17 am »
Hi,

here is the code to add to hostap_cs.conf for the buffalo wli2-cf-s11 wifi card.

card "BUFFALO WLI2-CF-S11"
   version "BUFFALO", "WLI2-CF-S11", "", ""
#   manfid: 0x026f, 0x030b
   bind "hostap_cs"      

Thanks for your great work.

pelrun

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2005, 04:14:43 am »
If your card works as a Zcomax then it will also run identically with any other definition in the hostap_cs.conf file that has a 'bind "hostap_cs"' line.

If you comment it out and your card stops working it is because the version line your card is reporting is different, so the Z can't find a definition anymore. Either uncomment the manfid line (so the Z finds it in the same way it found the Zcomax) or use "cardctl ident" to figure out what version line your card is reporting and use that instead of what's currently there.

I think this "Zcomax issue" can be solved pretty easily. Put a default generic definition into the standard Cacko hostap_cs.conf file just called "801.11b WiFi Adapter" or something else equally generic with the manfid line present, and comment out the Zcomax manfid line. Without a brand name there should be no reason for most people to think that the card had been "misdetected". What do you think, maslovsky?
SL-C3100 with usb power mod running debian eabi
pdaXii13 still on the NAND for dualbooting
16GB SDHC! (a new one, after I sat on the old one and it went kaput)
D-Link 660 wifi, Socket Bluetooth rev H
External 9800mAh LiIon battery and slimline dvd drive
Homebrew microphone and remote