Author Topic: Multisync For Cacko  (Read 11467 times)

DaveAnderson

• View Profile
Multisync For Cacko
« on: January 13, 2005, 12:43:51 pm »
I see Opie libs in the Cacko feed.  Is there any way to get multisync running under Cacko?

stupkid

• View Profile
    • http://
Multisync For Cacko
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 12:55:31 pm »
I have used the Opie PIMS and following the Multisync HOWTO for Opie had Multisync working with evolution.  I think that the pi-sync apps are much better though.

Zaurus SL-C3200 pdaXii13v2 5.5 / Ambicom WC1100C-CF / Socket Bluetooth Rev G

OpenMoko FreeRunner - Running Tweaked OM2008.x Image

DaveAnderson

• View Profile
Multisync For Cacko
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 12:57:14 pm »
I'd really like to keep Evolution on my desktop, though.  But where do I get the multisync software?  I can't seem to find it.

stupkid

• View Profile
Multisync For Cacko
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 01:09:34 pm »
I run Debian so all I had to do was run:

aptitude install multisync

I don't know where you will find packages for you particular distro.

DaveAnderson

• View Profile
Multisync For Cacko
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 01:28:08 pm »
Hmmm.  Sorry, this is confusing for me.  To run Debian, you have to do it through X/Qt, right?  There's no way to just run or build multisync for Cacko?

acpkendo

• View Profile
Multisync For Cacko
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 02:20:21 pm »
Multisync doesn't run on the Zaurus, it just sync's with it.  You install Multisync on whatever distro you use on the desktop--in stupkid's case, this is Debian.  I believe there are versions of multisync in testing (sarge) and unstable (sid).

stupkid

• View Profile
Multisync For Cacko
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 02:45:05 pm »
The first question for finding how to install multisync on your desktop is to know what OS and version is running on your desktop.

DaveAnderson

• View Profile
Multisync For Cacko
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 05:31:41 pm »
Okay, I'm getting there guys.  Sorry about my confusion, but this is all new to me.

So I got Multisync up and running under Gentoo.  No problems there.  I had to do some funky things to get the Evolution 2 plugin, but that seems to be installed properly now.

Now, let me see if I follow this.

First Plugin: Opie and Zaurus
Second Plugin: Ximian Evolution 2

That about right?

Oh man, I'll be so excited to get this working.  Now I just need to get my new router going at home and hope that my Z will talk to it.

DaveAnderson

• View Profile
Multisync For Cacko
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 07:13:41 pm »
Okay, here is where I'm at.

1)  I can FTP and SFTP into my zaurus from my Gentoo box.

2)  I cannot multisync through either FTP or SFTP - using standard ports (21 for FTP and 22 for SFTP).  With QCOP checked, I just get a message (via the log) that the server is unavailable.  With QCOP unchecked, it just hangs at 'Connecting to First Client'.  

login/pass for ftp is zaurus/zaurus

There doesn't seem to be a login/pass for sftp.  

Both login/passwords were tried in conjunction with Multisync - still nothing.

Right now I'm just trying to pull from the Z (first plugin) and dump it into a Backup folder (second plugin).

Any thoughts?

stupkid

• View Profile
Multisync For Cacko
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 11:07:43 pm »
You need to setup an SSH key pair.  This is explained in the HOWTO I linked to above.  Please read through that HOWTO and then post where you run into problems.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 11:08:10 pm by stupkid »

DaveAnderson

• View Profile
Multisync For Cacko
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 10:55:55 am »
Thanks, stupkid.  The link to SSH is no longer good, but one can access it through archive.org

I now have it setup where I can ssh into my Z without a login prompt at all.  I assume this means I have the keys setup properly.

So now I should be safe to try SFTP on port 22?  I tried this but still got the 'Connecting to first client message'.  I left login/pass blank.  But I'm wondering, must I put 'root' for the password?  Or should I use zaurus/zaurus (login/pass)?  And what is this QCop for?  Should it be checked or unchecked?

I reference the Howto, but it's geared towards Opie, so these final issues are stumbling blocks for me.

I will play around with it more tonight.  I'm at work right now, but just wanted to post where I'm at.  If I get this working, I will created a detailed howto.

stupkid

• View Profile
Multisync For Cacko
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2005, 12:01:52 pm »
I am trying to make this as clear as possible.

Multisync only works with the OpiePIMs.  It will not work with the Sharp PIMs that Cacko comes with.  If you do not install the Opie PIMs from the feed Multisync is useless.  So, the Opie related parts of the HOWTO are relevant.  It is a pretty good HOWTO overall.

The packages for the Opie PIMs are:

opie-addressbook
opie-datebook
opie-todo

Install the above packages from the feed.  Once the Opie-PIMs are installed on your Z go through the HOWTO.  The HOWTO explains almost all the questions you are asking and yes it applies your Z.  Trust me it works and it is applicable.  Run through the HOWTO and if you have a problem with a specific step explain why you cannot perform that particular task.  Please list the configuration for your Multisync sync pair as well.  

If you have ssh logging into your Z without prompting for a password you have passed the hard part.  The user you should be using for the SFTP configuration should be 'zaurus'.

Hope this helps.

DaveAnderson

• View Profile
Multisync For Cacko
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2005, 12:27:52 pm »
1)  I read the FAQ completely.

2)  I've already installed the Opie apps.

The only thing that is left is getting the sync to work.  And no, the howto isn't very helpful in that area - such as login/pass.

DaveAnderson

• View Profile
Multisync For Cacko
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2005, 05:05:25 pm »
Okay, still not working.  Here's where I'm at.

From my gentoo box:

ssh -l root 192.168.1.47 - right to # prompt

sftp -l zaurus 192.168.1.47 - prompts me for password.  Entering 'zaurus' for pw gets me in.

Multisync:

First Plugin - Opie and Zaurus - Options: Protocol: SFTP | IP: 192.168.1.47 | Port 22 | Enable QCop (Unchecked) | Username: zaurus | password: zaurus

Second Plugin - Backup to ~/backup

Click Sync.  Get 'Connecting to First Client' and it just stays there until I cancel it.

Notes:

Opie files have been initialized.

acpkendo

• View Profile
Multisync For Cacko
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2005, 05:20:56 pm »
FYI, qcop is the protocol that qtopia applications use to talk to each other.  I have no idea if disabling this is why it won't work for you. . . have you tried checking that box?