Author Topic: Official Pcmcia Cards Compatible With Zaurus!  (Read 7942 times)

sunomi86

• View Profile
Official Pcmcia Cards Compatible With Zaurus!
« on: March 14, 2005, 12:04:44 pm »
old
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 01:54:55 am by sunomi86 »

craigtyson

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 02:09:21 pm »
If you want longer range form WiFi what you need is a high gain arial. Most CF / PCCard adapters use a printed arial which are prety much 2D in their reception.  360' high gain arials are available for some cards or put a hign gain arial on your router which will have the same effect barring local noise....
Craig
SL-C1000, Angstrom GPE 2007.12r13
Ambicom WL1100C, SanDisk UltraII 1GB SD

Old Faithfull - SL-5500 battery out of the C750 (see below) TKC v1 (New) 1GB SD
Dead - SL-C750, Cacko 1.23 lite (Dropped, very messy!)
Ambicom WL1100C, SanDisk Dead - 1GB SD
Keep your Z on a bungee, you never know.....

arniel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 06:02:24 am »
Are you wanting to talk about WiFi cards specifically, or any type of PCMCIA card?
If the latter, I have an Apricorn EZ-Gig PCMCIA card working in mine (connected to a Toshiba 2.5in HD).
An Intel Ethernet 100Mb card does not work (it is recognised, but needs 5v to operate), nor does a Psion Gold 56k.

marshmn

• View Profile
    • http://www.mattmarsh.net/
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 04:29:44 pm »
If you want longer range form WiFi what you need is a high gain arial. Most CF / PCCard adapters use a printed arial which are prety much 2D in their reception.  360' high gain arials are available for some cards or put a hign gain arial on your router which will have the same effect barring local noise....
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70641\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I seem to remember that you used to be able to get some "Zoom" branded PCMCIA WiFi cards which could be fitted with an external ariel (they had the standard connector (is it called ANC or something?) on the card. You could even mount the arial at the end of a wire, so all you war-drivers can stick the ariel out your sunroof  

Note: I have no idea if those cards work with the Z, and it doesn't look like they are listed on their website anymore so maybe you'd have to try ebay or something.

Matt
SL-C860 - Cacko 1.22a

http://www.mattmarsh.net/

arniel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 08:12:42 am »
Well anything that works with the cf to pcmcia adapter is well worth notable. Thanks! Oh and is this the hard drive you are talking about-->
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW
I was thinking of buying one of these instead of an sd card :0). Do you think that would be a better idea, because I actually have a notebook, so it would be easy to transfer files with that and my pda
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70771\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
No, that HD is a 1.8" model.  I'm talking about a bog-standard notebook hard drive.  I have also tried an IBM model, but the Toshiba seems to cope better with the 3.3v power provided by a CF socket.  Eventually the plan is to insert a voltage regulator to take the 3.3v and boost it up to 5v that the HD needs (I have some samples from Maxim but need to order some SOIC breadboards).
Using a 2.5in HD allows the possibility of 100Gb of online storage that can be accessed instantly.

tz

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 03:55:21 pm »
The Cisco 350 card has a variant with two external antenna MMCX connectors and if you compile the drivers you can use that via the CF to PCMCIA.  I've used it for a long time for wardriving.  It will pull the battery down very quickly, but the range is incredible.

I also put a 5GB Toshiba pcmcia drive via the same adaptor.

offroadgeek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://www.oesf.org
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 10:49:35 pm »
Hi! I wanted to make a forum for all the pcmcia notebook cards that were compatible with the zaurus while using a pcmcia to cf adapter. So just name of your wifi card you're using so others can benefit from this supposedly better range on the zaurus from using a pc card rather than a cf wifi card. Fun fun!
[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Where have you been able to find a pcmcia to cf adapter?  I can only find a cf to pcmcia adapter (one that you can put your cf wifi/memory cards into your pcmcia slot)....

I would love to be able to use my orinoco gold card (with external  powered antenna - see below) with my 760.

This is the booster I bought recently since my move and I couldn't get to my neighbors wifi with my regular external pigtail antenna.  [a href=\"http://shop.netstumbler.com/customer/product.php?productid=81]Max Ranger[/url]  (I actually got it from fab-corp for only $100)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 10:50:27 pm by offroadgeek »
Search the OESF Wiki
C1000 w/Cacko 1.23 beta (from Streamline) / 760 pdaxrom rc9 / 6000L (thanks Santa's elf!) / 5500 - OZ 3.3.5 / SIMpad SL4
1GB, 256mb SanDisk CF / 2x 1GB, 512mb, 256mb, 128mb SanDisk SD
Ambicom WL100C-CF wifi / Socket 56k CF modem / AmbiCom BT2000-CF (x2)
Pocketop keyboard, Piel Frama case (1000 & 5500), PDAir case (760 & 1000)
sip:536093@fwd.pulver.com
| OESF | ELSI | Zaurus User Group | ZaurusThemes |

craigtyson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 01:22:10 pm »
Hi! I wanted to make a forum for all the pcmcia notebook cards that were compatible with the zaurus while using a pcmcia to cf adapter. So just name of your wifi card you're using so others can benefit from this supposedly better range on the zaurus from using a pc card rather than a cf wifi card. Fun fun!
[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Where have you been able to find a pcmcia to cf adapter?  I can only find a cf to pcmcia adapter (one that you can put your cf wifi/memory cards into your pcmcia slot)....

I would love to be able to use my orinoco gold card (with external  powered antenna - see below) with my 760.

This is the booster I bought recently since my move and I couldn't get to my neighbors wifi with my regular external pigtail antenna.  [a href=\"http://shop.netstumbler.com/customer/product.php?productid=81]Max Ranger[/url]  (I actually got it from fab-corp for only $100)
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=71214\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

As long ar there is no Local noise you should be able to put the amplifier on the access point instead of carrying it round with your Zaurus......
Craig
SL-C1000, Angstrom GPE 2007.12r13
Ambicom WL1100C, SanDisk UltraII 1GB SD

Old Faithfull - SL-5500 battery out of the C750 (see below) TKC v1 (New) 1GB SD
Dead - SL-C750, Cacko 1.23 lite (Dropped, very messy!)
Ambicom WL1100C, SanDisk Dead - 1GB SD
Keep your Z on a bungee, you never know.....

bluedevils

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 03:25:37 pm »
ahh, but the point may be to use it on any (not just your personal) access point.
I'm now an iphone user and use my zaurii as serial terminals, perl and shell scripting and when I need 640x480 screens

sl-c3100/pda cacko 1.23 | sl-6000l/needs battery | sl-c760/server pdaxrom rc12 | Former sl-5500/tkcrom owner (sister's birthday gift)

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2005, 04:58:30 pm »
Orinoco cards also have an aerial socket, you have to remove the little plastic plug.

There's a UK seller of accessories called solwise who sell connectors, pigtails etc;definitely worth a look if you're doing anything interesting.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

kmoney

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 08:07:56 pm »
Yes please anyone post a like to a device that enable use of PCMCIA cards IN A COMPACTFLASH slot.   I see lots of stuff on google for pcmcia drives in computers to use cf cards, but nothing so far to use pcmcia cards in cf slots on pda's.

I don't think they exist, what would they look like?  PCMCIA cards are bigger than CF cards, to it'd stick out like 6 inches!

thx!

kahm

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 08:51:20 pm »
Yes please anyone post a like to a device that enable use of PCMCIA cards IN A COMPACTFLASH slot.   I see lots of stuff on google for pcmcia drives in computers to use cf cards, but nothing so far to use pcmcia cards in cf slots on pda's.

I don't think they exist, what would they look like?  PCMCIA cards are bigger than CF cards, to it'd stick out like 6 inches!

thx!
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73537\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

They're a CF card with a cable attached to a PCMCIA slot connector. They do exist, but they aren't common. Or particularily practical for many things.
Fujitsu U8240 "Stormtrooper" -  Zaurus Supplement
Libretto U100 | Sony Librie, Sony Reader
SL-C3100: Sharp 1.11JP (Kanji Dictionary/Translator) - LCD Top swap with C1000.
SL-C3000: pdaXii13 5.4.7, SL-C3000 5.4.9 - microdrive replaced with 8gb Sandisk
SL-C1000: PDAXRom Beta3 | SL-6000L: Sharp 1.12 | SL-5500: Cacko, 64-0 kernel | SL-5000D: OZ-Opie
Linksys WCF12; Sharp CE-AG06, CE-RH2, CE-170TS; iRiver USB OTG Host cable; Socket BT rev.E CF; Hitachi 6gb Microdrive

jpmatrix

• View Profile
    • http://matrixmen.free.fr
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 11:51:27 am »
hi guys,

i've just found that card while googleing :
http://www.notestation.com/cfpccard.htm?campaign=yshopping

it's really a PCMCIA to CF adapter so you could use any (?) PCMCIA card into the Zaurus without any driver !!

i would like to buy something like that to use the Orange UMTS PCMCIA card !

any clue ?
**Fujitsu U1010 !!!  
**ex-Zaurus SL-C3000 owner with Debian kernel 2.6.24-yonggun

QJimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2005, 12:16:41 pm »
If the latter, I have an Apricorn EZ-Gig PCMCIA card working in mine (connected to a Toshiba 2.5in HD).
Neat, so with that card and an adaptor I could connect a harddisk to my 5500? Thats pretty cool ^^
Zaurus SL-5500 - Sharp ROM 3.10, 128MB Lexar CF, Kingston 56K CF Modem.
Wishlist: 1GB SD, Ethernet CF, WiFi CF.

omega

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2005, 12:23:24 pm »
sorry jpmatrix, but these convertors only work with pcmcia cards not pc cards, i.e. pcmcia are 16 bit cards, and pc cards (cardbus) are 32-bit... Most new stuff, like usb pcmcia cards are cardbus and this is why we all don't have those convertors and a cheap usb pc card to give us usb on our zaurii...
Gorgeous C860, 256 Sandisk SD, 1Gig Pretec 40x CF, PDAIR leather case & the really cool retractable iPDA USB sync/charge cable. Powered by PDAXROM BETA 1.

My wish - to have a Command & Conquer style game on my Z! (FREECNC!!!) Simcity 2000 would also be great.