Author Topic: How To Get Rid Of Bubbles In Your Screen Protector  (Read 35218 times)

HearWa

• View Profile
How To Get Rid Of Bubbles In Your Screen Protector
« on: March 28, 2005, 01:40:21 pm »
Hello,

I've replaced the screen protector three times now and have yet to put it on without the plastic capturing bubbles between it and the screen. I've even tried slowly putting it on with a q-tip, but alas the same thing happened. Is it just the nature of the screen protectors to do this or am I doing something wrong? What are the best screen protectors out there?
Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 +
Sanded (600 grit) and polished (RB-538) to be black +
Open Zaurus 3.5.2, Opie-image (64-0) +
Sandisk 128MB SD Card, Verbatim 128MB CF Card +
10 Base Ethernet Card, 802.11b Wireless CF Card +
Generic leather PDA case =
One happy geek!

V-Man

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 10:56:55 pm »
I found that using a stiff piece of cardboard as a "squeege" to smooth out the screen protector as it is applied works pretty well.  The few bubbles I get come out within a few weeks.  I use some cheapie screen protectors that I got from Office Despot, I don't remember the brand.
SL5500 w/Sharp ROM 3.10
Netgear MA701 WiFi
Sharp  CE-AG06 Camera Card
Various memory cards
Various homemade power/battery packs
HP 2215 iPAQ

kahm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 11:59:46 pm »
Don't use a qtip. Use something like the edge of a credit card. Something close to the exact width of the screen would be perfect.
Fujitsu U8240 "Stormtrooper" -  Zaurus Supplement
Libretto U100 | Sony Librie, Sony Reader
SL-C3100: Sharp 1.11JP (Kanji Dictionary/Translator) - LCD Top swap with C1000.
SL-C3000: pdaXii13 5.4.7, SL-C3000 5.4.9 - microdrive replaced with 8gb Sandisk
SL-C1000: PDAXRom Beta3 | SL-6000L: Sharp 1.12 | SL-5500: Cacko, 64-0 kernel | SL-5000D: OZ-Opie
Linksys WCF12; Sharp CE-AG06, CE-RH2, CE-170TS; iRiver USB OTG Host cable; Socket BT rev.E CF; Hitachi 6gb Microdrive

HearWa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 09:02:06 am »
Great, thank you. I'll try it out tonight.
Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 +
Sanded (600 grit) and polished (RB-538) to be black +
Open Zaurus 3.5.2, Opie-image (64-0) +
Sandisk 128MB SD Card, Verbatim 128MB CF Card +
10 Base Ethernet Card, 802.11b Wireless CF Card +
Generic leather PDA case =
One happy geek!

BarryW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 11:53:30 am »
Stick one edge down keeping the protector mostly attached to the card it comes on.  As you slowly peel back the backer use a card to squeegee it down as you go.  Takes some practice but work the best.  Should only have one or two small bubbles where you started, they are pretty easy to work out.
What's this button do??

C3100
Distro changes almost weekly...

C3200
Distro also changes almost weekly...  :)

Hardware hacks and stuff.

euroclie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 08:54:31 pm »
Here's an additional hint: I've been using screen protectors on various PDAs for years, and I use this method with good results. Go in your bathroom after someone has taken a hot shower, when the air is still steamy. The water-saturated air will cause all the dust to settle, so that if you have a clean PDA, clean screen protectors and clean fingers, there really won't be any dust to fly between the protector and the screen while you apply it, preventing bubbles to form.

Just make sure you don't drop the Zaurus in the bath, nor spray it directly with water!

Hope this helps!
Patrick

pelrun

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 09:05:17 pm »
Go in your bathroom after someone has taken a hot shower, when the air is still steamy.

No! Close the door, wait until the steam has settled out, and *then* go in there. You don't want water droplets full of dust condensing on your Z
SL-C3100 with usb power mod running debian eabi
pdaXii13 still on the NAND for dualbooting
16GB SDHC! (a new one, after I sat on the old one and it went kaput)
D-Link 660 wifi, Socket Bluetooth rev H
External 9800mAh LiIon battery and slimline dvd drive
Homebrew microphone and remote

euroclie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 09:52:00 pm »
Go in your bathroom after someone has taken a hot shower, when the air is still steamy.

No! Close the door, wait until the steam has settled out, and *then* go in there. You don't want water droplets full of dust condensing on your Z
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=72731\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
You sure don't want to get your Zaurus wet!  But _a bit_ of humidity is (in my experience at least) a bonus to make the protector sticky (to the screen). YMMV, etc.

Besides, waiting until the steam has completely settled out means that when you open the door, the air you'll bring in will carry some dust that will not benefit from the steam to settle... It's all a matter of balance/good timing, IMHO!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 09:53:12 pm by euroclie »
Patrick