Author Topic: Cacko3k Feedback  (Read 212723 times)

euroclie

• View Profile
    • http://
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2005, 11:23:46 pm »
OK, I've finished reinstalling the alpha Cacko3k, and it has fixed the Tab Setting problem along with the swap space problem in the memory applet...

Back to testing (well, to reinstalling my apps and data, first).
Patrick

kahm

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2005, 11:28:09 pm »
I encountered a problem with the USB keyboard mappings tonight - they'd somehow reverted to being "Completely Broken", as in the letter keys bound to things like backspace and turn off backlight.  A reboot did fix it. I'm going to poke through and find out if it was a fluke, or if one of the apps I ran broke things.
Fujitsu U8240 "Stormtrooper" -  Zaurus Supplement
Libretto U100 | Sony Librie, Sony Reader
SL-C3100: Sharp 1.11JP (Kanji Dictionary/Translator) - LCD Top swap with C1000.
SL-C3000: pdaXii13 5.4.7, SL-C3000 5.4.9 - microdrive replaced with 8gb Sandisk
SL-C1000: PDAXRom Beta3 | SL-6000L: Sharp 1.12 | SL-5500: Cacko, 64-0 kernel | SL-5000D: OZ-Opie
Linksys WCF12; Sharp CE-AG06, CE-RH2, CE-170TS; iRiver USB OTG Host cable; Socket BT rev.E CF; Hitachi 6gb Microdrive

orange

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2005, 04:37:22 am »
Hi all and thx for testing, cant wait to have this...

just a small question can you run kismet without a dummy network connection? can you put your Wlan card in monitor mode?

if not is it hard to put that in the ROM?
SL-C3000 / Cacko 3kb1
512MB SD/CF Kingston
DLink DCF-660W W-LAN
Socket Ethernet
Nokia DTL-1 Bluetooth
Pretec CF 56k Modem
I DON'T SYNC ;-)

kahm

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2005, 09:09:18 am »
I reset the 3000 this morning and started installing stuff again. I set  up the new memory applet with a 128mb swapfile. Generation went okay, but when I activated it the swapfile location indicator (on HDD) went out, the path indicator went blank, and it reset the size to 2mb.  At that point clicking "OFF" gets a failed to detach swapfile message. The swap does activate fine - I'm showing the full 128mb, but I have to reselect "HDD" before I can turn off swap.

I've never noticed this one before - anyone else?
SL-C1000: PDAXRom Beta3 | SL-6000L: Sharp 1.12 | SL-5500: Cacko, 64-0 kernel | SL-5000D: OZ-Opie
Linksys WCF12; Sharp CE-AG06, CE-RH2, CE-170TS; iRiver USB OTG Host cable; Socket BT rev.E CF; Hitachi 6gb Microdrive

sriley

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2005, 10:46:15 am »
That's how the applet has always worked for me, I have to specify which swapfile I mean before I can take any action.

kahm

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2005, 12:32:23 pm »
That's how the applet has always worked for me, I have to specify which swapfile I mean before I can take any action.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75917\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I take it that the program allows you to have multiple swapfiles, one on each supported device? It seems counterintuitive to not tell you which ones are currently activated.

It works well enough. It just seemed odd that the selection disappeared. There is also no indication if you've generated the file in the first place. (What happens when you try to activate a swap file that doesn't exist? I haven't tried.)

sriley

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2005, 01:01:14 pm »
If the swapfile doesn't exist, the applet returns "Failed to attach swapfile".

sriley

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2005, 01:07:27 pm »
Yes, the applet allows you to have multiple swapfiles, one per supported device.  Activated swapfiles are displayed graphically on the applet's Memory tab (the tab on the left), but all are added to a single swapfile so two 16MB swapfiles would be displayed as 32MB in one graph.

kahm

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2005, 01:19:54 pm »
Yes, the applet allows you to have multiple swapfiles, one per supported device.  Activated swapfiles are displayed graphically on the applet's Memory tab (the tab on the left), but all are added to a single swapfile so two 16MB swapfiles would be displayed as 32MB in one graph.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75959\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Interesting. It's more understandable why it acts like that - anything more informative would mean a more complicated interface.

euroclie

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2005, 10:25:15 pm »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75917\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I second that, this is also how it works with me...

That being said, playing with swap files through the applet leads to some strange things. At the moment, the applet still shows a Total Swap of 67104 kB after I have manually set to Off the swap files on the HDD and SD card (no CF card inserted), and after I have also executed a 'swapoff -a' command in the terminal. There's no /home/zaurus/Documents/.swapfile or /mnt/card/.swapfile files that I can see using a 'ls -al' command in the appropriate directories, so I don't know how the applet can find those figures...
Patrick

euroclie

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2005, 11:34:34 pm »
That being said, playing with swap files through the applet leads to some strange things.
Rebooting fixes that strange problem... except that the Zaurus froze during the reboot, I had to open the battery compartment and press the reset switch to force the reboot.

Well, that's why we're called "alpha testers", I guess!

Otherwise I was able to install mplayer/kino2 and play a (XVID) .avi file (though not fullscreen, and with a few glitches here and there on the display) with the sound. Nice!

Next I'll try to install Kismet / Wellenreiter - I might need this later this afternoon in the Linux Cafe in Akihabara!
Patrick

kahm

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2005, 10:14:24 am »
That being said, playing with swap files through the applet leads to some strange things.
Rebooting fixes that strange problem... except that the Zaurus froze during the reboot, I had to open the battery compartment and press the reset switch to force the reboot.

Well, that's why we're called "alpha testers", I guess!

Otherwise I was able to install mplayer/kino2 and play a (XVID) .avi file (though not fullscreen, and with a few glitches here and there on the display) with the sound. Nice!

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76057\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Did you happen to try "free" to see if linux thought the swapfile was still active, despite the swapoff commands?

I had the "Qtopia crash after starting the network for the first time" again today. There's definitely something up with that, but reproducing it seems problematic at the moment.

Next I'll try to install Kismet / Wellenreiter - I might need this later this afternoon in the Linux Cafe in Akihabara!

You sure get around, don't you?  

euroclie

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2005, 11:47:31 am »
Did you happen to try "free" to see if linux thought the swapfile was still active, despite the swapoff commands?
No, I didn't think about that one...  Will try this if the problem occurs again, though.

I had the "Qtopia crash after starting the network for the first time" again today. There's definitely something up with that, but reproducing it seems problematic at the moment.
I didn't have any crash after installing WellenReiter and Kismet, but launching WellenReiter caused some trouble: I got a dialog box warning me that I was running it without root privileges, so there might be restrictions in capabilities. I continued, and after that I couldn't exit the program, there was alwas the WellenReiter icon in the bottom taskbar, even when a "ps -ax" command didn't show wellenreiter running... and every now and then, WellenReiter would pop up in the front, and present me with the same dialog about root privileges... Annoying. I rebooted and got rid of this. I've activated the "execute with root privileges" for this application, I'll see tomorrow if this changes anything (right now I don't have a WiFi network close at hand to test it)...

Traveling a lot has its good sides, sometimes!
Patrick

kahm

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2005, 12:44:24 pm »
I didn't have any crash after installing WellenReiter and Kismet, but launching WellenReiter caused some trouble: I got a dialog box warning me that I was running it without root privileges, so there might be restrictions in capabilities. I continued, and after that I couldn't exit the program, there was alwas the WellenReiter icon in the bottom taskbar, even when a "ps -ax" command didn't show wellenreiter running... and every now and then, WellenReiter would pop up in the front, and present me with the same dialog about root privileges... Annoying. I rebooted and got rid of this. I've activated the "execute with root privileges" for this application, I'll see tomorrow if this changes anything (right now I don't have a WiFi network close at hand to test it)...

I haven't tried playing with kismet or wellenreiter on the 3000 yet. It looks like I'm going spend a couple of days resetting my 3000 trying to reliably reproduce that qtopia crash. After that I'll look into the scanning software.
Traveling a lot has its good sides, sometimes!
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76133\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

No kidding. I got to spend some time in Japan last October and had a blast. Missed seeing the Linux Cafe in Akihabara, though. I don't suppose you have a map of the area (or know of one online)? I'm curious as to where it is.

euroclie

• View Profile
Cacko3k Feedback
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2005, 01:28:08 pm »
I got to spend some time in Japan last October and had a blast. Missed seeing the Linux Cafe in Akihabara, though. I don't suppose you have a map of the area (or know of one online)? I'm curious as to where it is.
Here you are, Sir:
[img]http://probbe.nerim.net/zaurus/pics/map1.gif\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-image\" /]
(the Linux Cafe is at the red blinking dot).

This map is from a PalmOS program called Akibamap which I used regularly. It's a pity there's no arm Linux version! It still works on the PalmOS simulator (on my PC) though...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 01:28:33 pm by euroclie »
Patrick