Author Topic: Zaurus Newbie  (Read 4915 times)

Hellmark

• View Profile
Zaurus Newbie
« on: June 10, 2005, 05:29:26 pm »
Ok, I just  got a Zaurus SL-5500 and I want to switch to OZ since thats what most everyone has migrated to, but I have a few questions.

First off, how come a SD card isnt usable for flashing? Reason I ask is I don't have a CF card handy (have one in an old digital camera that is packed up somewhere after I moved, I've been looking and can't find it).  Would the Root on SD bit work for doing this?

Also, I'm sorry if this is out there somewhere, but I've been looking and not seen it. But can I backup my stock rom (or is there some already usable) incase I want to go back? I have the ROM version 2.38

Is there any Java enabled webbrowsers? It kinda surprised me that stock the Zaurus supported Java but Opera doesnt.

Penguin Man

• View Profile
Zaurus Newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 05:49:25 pm »
With regard to flashing, AFAIK you can only use the CF slot for flashing, which is a limitation of the Zaurus itself, not OZ.  When you do the flash routine, the hardware looks for those files to be on the CF card.  The root on SD thing is for if you want to run your Zaurus off an SD card instead of the internal flashram.  That's what I'm doing and it's great - I have tons of space for stuff and don't have to worry about where ipkg installs programs and stuff like that since the SD card is /.

Hellmark

• View Profile
Zaurus Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 06:00:54 pm »
Root on SD sounds nice, however, I'd prefer it on the internal memory, because I swap out SD card for the one in my camera so I can see pics I taken (my camera has a really small screen).

EDIT: I finally found my CF card! It's been missing in action since last year, and I've been looking for it for long before I got my Zaurus. Also, found the backup ROMs on the MyZaurus website. Really only leaves the question of the Java Enabled browser. I'm gonna try flash with OZ now!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 02:28:20 pm by Hellmark »

Rev.Tigger

• View Profile
    • http://
Zaurus Newbie
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 03:47:13 pm »
I would put root on the SD,  if you often swap SD cards one of these http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=112368 might be an idea,  I don't know for sure if it would work but I would think it would as I don't think it is a particually complicated bit of technology.

If you are using a collie (SL550) then the http://www.hentges.net/misc/openzaurus/index.shtml ROM.  It is fantastic,  it is a kind of OZ distro,  it installs OZOpie and a load of handy applications all to a SD card which it formats on first boot.

Hellmark

• View Profile
Zaurus Newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 11:56:58 am »
Problem with going with a thing like that is that I use a Wifi card, since my primary use for my Collie is SSH and VNC control of my server and desktop.

Right now, I dunno what happened, but I reformatted my CF card like mentioned in another thread (umount /dev/hda1/ and then mkfs.vfat -F 16 /dev/hda1) and when ever I put it in, the damn thing takes like 5 minutes to load up, and during that time the Zaurus is locked up. If I try take the card out during that time, it will reboot. Card works fine in my digital camera. Because of that, I am gonna wait and use another CF card (have another one coming in the mail), because I dont want to hose things up.

BTW, has anyone noticed the stock ROM for the Collie not freeing up space after you delete something? I typically have to reboot in order to free the space up, which is a bit of a pain.

Mickeyl

• View Profile
    • http://www.Vanille.de
Zaurus Newbie
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 01:39:22 pm »
BTW, has anyone noticed the stock ROM for the Collie not freeing up space after you delete something? I typically have to reboot in order to free the space up, which is a bit of a pain.

Welcome to jffs2.
Cheers,

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer | Embedded Linux Freelancer | www.Vanille-Media.de
Consider donating, if you like the software I contribute to.

Hellmark

• View Profile
Zaurus Newbie
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 06:28:18 pm »
Ok, got it with 3.5.3 alright, but for some reason, my new wifi card (Proxim Harmony 8630) has issues reaching past the router. Works fine on the LAN, but not past that. If I ping an IP thats outside the LAN, says network not available. Works sometimes though reaching past the router. Does this without WEP, and no other wifi machine on the network has these problems.

malcolmxavier

• View Profile
Zaurus Newbie
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 12:51:00 am »
Ok, got it with 3.5.3 alright, but for some reason, my new wifi card (Proxim Harmony 8630) has issues reaching past the router. Works fine on the LAN, but not past that. If I ping an IP thats outside the LAN, says network not available. Works sometimes though reaching past the router. Does this without WEP, and no other wifi machine on the network has these problems.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84582\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Are you sure your default gateway is set correctly?  If you are using DHCP then you should be fine. Does your wireless access point allow ICMP (ping) through it?  I will make an assumption that you are using NAT (network address translation) on your access point.  Is the firewall/router set up to allow packets back into that device.  If you can ping within your network, then it is most likely a default gateway problem.  From a console do a "netstat -nr" you should see a line something like
0.0.0.0         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG       40 0          0 wlan0
if you have a proper default gateway the IP (192.168.1.1) should be that of your router.
-John
-----------------------------------
Zaurus SL5500
1 Gig Lexar SD card
Ambicom WiFi WL1100C-CF
OpenZaurus 3.5.3 with Opie 1.2.0

Hellmark

• View Profile
Zaurus Newbie
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 02:42:31 am »
I seem to have better luck if I dont use DHCP. Pings sent past the router are returned fine. Packets can be sent back to the devices. And like I said, all the other machines (6 others via wireless cards, and one plugged directly into the router), have no problem with this.

Anyone have any experience with Keypebble? Tried it under the stock rom, and trying now under OZ. It connects, but doesnt ever show anything. blank white screen.

Figured out how to use ipkg instead of the GUI, and much happier. Not only is it like my beloved apt, but it actually works!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 12:56:29 am by Hellmark »