Author Topic: Rcs (revision Control System) For Zaurus?  (Read 4765 times)

MB Zaurus

• View Profile
Rcs (revision Control System) For Zaurus?
« on: June 16, 2005, 12:08:29 pm »
Has anyone compiled RCS for the zaurus? I think it's almost indispensible for managing any system.

http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/trinkle/RCS/

Mark

MB Zaurus

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 02:54:32 am »
Following up on my own post:

Has anyone compiled RCS for the zaurus? I think it's almost indispensible for managing any system.

http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/trinkle/RCS/

Mark
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84545\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Thanks to the handhelds.org public development cluster (http://handhelds.org/projects/skiffcluster.html), I've built rcs, and it works fine on my SL-6000 (OE 3.5.3/Opie).

I've attached a copy of the binaries and man pages [ Invalid Attachment ] .

Mark
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 03:01:38 am by MB Zaurus »

gojira

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 02:33:32 am »
I've attached a copy of the binaries and man pages [ Invalid Attachment ] .

Mark
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84627\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Thanks, I've been looking forward to being able to C-x v v again!

I've moved the binaries into /usr/local/bin which is where they seem to be expecting each other, and moved the man pages under /usr/local/man, and added html versions of the man pages, and packaged it up:  [ Invalid Attachment ]
The attachment has munged the filename.  It should be rcs_5.7-1_arm.ipk.

The binaries look for diff in /usr/bin, so you'll need to add a link if yours is in /usr/local/bin.  It doesn't seem to be installable onto a card.  Is that because of the /usr/local paths?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 02:43:48 am by gojira »
Zaurus SL-C3200 Debian EABI / Sharp ROM (tetsu v18j), Socket CF Bluetooth (Rev E), BT747 GPS, Canon K30225 CF Wifi.  RIP: Zaurus SL-C860 Sharp ROM (1.40JP).

inode0

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 09:52:00 am »
The binaries look for diff in /usr/bin, so you'll need to add a link if yours is in /usr/local/bin.  It doesn't seem to be installable onto a card.  Is that because of the /usr/local paths?
You might take a look at the package in this feed which should work fine mounted on a card. It depends on diffutils which is in the same feed but as long as you have diff in your path it should be ok I think.

John

gojira

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 08:45:18 pm »
]You might take a look at the package in this feed which should work fine mounted on a card. It depends on diffutils which is in the same feed but as long as you have diff in your path it should be ok I think.
John
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92625\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

The package I built will install onto a card too if you use ipkg -d and change your path, but not if you use qinstall, which seems to first install into the builtin flash, then move it to a card and add symlinks, but I think it only does that for stuff under /home/QtPalmtop...

The build of rcs I used had the full path set for diff, so unless you built it differently it probably won't look it up in the path.

Thanks for pointing out your feed -- I hadn't come across it before.
Zaurus SL-C3200 Debian EABI / Sharp ROM (tetsu v18j), Socket CF Bluetooth (Rev E), BT747 GPS, Canon K30225 CF Wifi.  RIP: Zaurus SL-C860 Sharp ROM (1.40JP).

inode0

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 10:05:30 pm »
The build of rcs I used had the full path set for diff, so unless you built it differently it probably won't look it up in the path.
Oops ... goes back to fix this broken package.

Thanks
John

inode0

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005, 11:00:23 pm »
Oops ... goes back to fix this broken package.
Let me ask if this seems a reasonable solution?

In diffutils' postinst make links from /usr/bin/diff and /usr/bin/diff3 to wherever they are really installed and in rcs' postinst do likewise for co and merge. Have all hardcoded paths in the rcs package point to /usr/bin and clean up the links in the postrm for each package.

John

gojira

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 04:10:29 am »
Let me ask if this seems a reasonable solution?

In diffutils' postinst make links from /usr/bin/diff and /usr/bin/diff3 to wherever they are really installed and in rcs' postinst do likewise for co and merge. Have all hardcoded paths in the rcs package point to /usr/bin and clean up the links in the postrm for each package.

John
[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I guess there's three more or less reasonable options:

a) package with postinst and postrm symlink management between expected location and location on card for compiled in paths, ipkg -d, add location on card to path

b) modify code to use execlp or execvp, ipkg -d, add location on card to path

c) set autoconf --prefix (for compiled in paths) to, and package under,  /home/QtPalmtop (or whatever is the correct path for packages ending up there), qinstall

I don't think any of them really win, so you might as well go with your option a).  I've been considering something involving [a href=\"http://www.gnu.org/software/stow/stow.html]stow[/url] with no need to work out which links are needed or to add to the path, but I've only got half-baked ideas so far...

inode0

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 03:53:41 pm »
I guess there's three more or less reasonable options:

a) package with postinst and postrm symlink management between expected location and location on card for compiled in paths, ipkg -d, add location on card to path

I don't think any of them really win, so you might as well go with your option a).
Ok, thanks for the feedback. I have reworked the necessary packages now and am in the process of repackaging everything in the feed into what I believe is a much better organization for most people.

Basically the new organization will be to split packages into foo_X.Y-Z_arm.ipk, foo-doc_X.Y-Z_arm.ipk, and foo-dev_X.Y-Z_arm.ipk where you basically get binaries in foo, info/man/docs in foo-doc, and development files in foo-dev. All packages house required license related files in the CONTROL tarball.

rcs_5.7-1.arm.ipk now manages links for co and merge and depends on diffutils, which in turn manages links for diff and diff3 and depends on coreutils and librt, and coreutils manages a link for pr required by diff. Yuck! I'm not very happy with needing coreutils to use rcs, but there is a chain of dependencies ...

John
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 03:55:39 pm by inode0 »