Author Topic: Stuffing Serial Bluetooth Module Inside C1k Casing  (Read 358390 times)

DaemonsGR

• View Profile
Stuffing Serial Bluetooth Module Inside C1k Casing
« Reply #240 on: April 15, 2006, 01:38:58 pm »
OK, Now I'm stuck.

Fitted the BT module but have no idea what other signals I need or what to do about the SW. I have only connected the 4 RS232 lines and + - supplies. I commoned all the supplies at this stage rather than putting any kind of control on them to turn it on or off, that will come later when I have it working (confident aren't I). I took the supply from the point that feeds the existing tracks for BT under the CF. It is available just above where the resistor pack goes.

I used an Ericsson BT module which the guy who owns this site http://www.stelioscellar.com/eShop/other.html informs me is fully supported in Linux. He sent me a CD image with rakes of docs and source code on so now I need help. What is my next step.

Soldering to the 4 pads was an absolute pig. It's time I realised I'm too old for this.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123301\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

HEy if you need something from Stelios just tell me! He is a friend ...
He is also master in electronics
Tasos Varoudis (Tech)
Tasos Varoudis (Architecture)

Zaurus sl-c3100 + Wlan, Lan ,BT ,etc
NOW running... pdaXrom 1.1.0beta3 + OOo + custom apps/setup + debian +.. not yet installed OpenBSD snapshot

WAS:Cacko 1.23 + X/QT + debian

Home-Net
Debian WIFI Router ,OpenBSD Bridge Firewall ,Win 2k Domain Server , :) Sun Fire v120 , :) Gentoo Main Server: Dual PIII

albertr

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #241 on: April 15, 2006, 01:55:09 pm »
So I need some kernel source files or are these already on somewhere, this thing has cacko on at the moment. Where can I find the kernel source? I can feel a bricked Zaurus coming on here.

If your intend is to continue to run Cacko on your Zaurus, then look for the kernel source code with cacko's patches on their website.
EDIT: Here's the link: http://cacko.oesf.org/downloads/rom/1.23/c...l-2.4.20.tar.gz

-albertr
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 05:01:31 pm by albertr »

Mjolinor

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 16, 2006, 03:41:17 am »
I found the sources including the one above (thanks). I also got
arm-cacko-linux-gnu-2.95.3-2.2.5-hardfloat-19.50_21.09.05 and
linux-c3000-20041116-rom1_01

I am so far away from being able to do this that I fear I will die of old age before I sort it.

As far as building my own kernel goes all that I know is I download the sources then use make menuconfig, xconfig or manually edit the .config file then build the kernels and modules and install them. This is on my desktop computer.

After looking in what I downloaded for what I think I need there is no .config file and the Zaurus doesn't have the kernel binary where I think it should be (according to my desktop computer) so things are obviously done in a different way. It's looking to me that I have to use a X86 linux machine to cross compile for the Zaurus then make an image and reload the complete OS onto the Zaurus using the boot menus.

I really do need to do a lump of reading as I can't even get off first base in figuring all this out.

Any links please.

albertr

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 16, 2006, 08:33:47 am »
There're two directories in the cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20.tar.gz archive. One is linux kernel tree (with cacko patches already applied) and the other is kernel config file. If you have C3000, use spitz, if you have 3100, use borzoi. Copy it to linux/.config.

Unpack the serial driver over the kernel tree, replacing the old files.

Run menuconfig/xconfig to enable the serial driver (under character devices section) and disable "SL-series serial port support".

Run `make dep`, then `make zImage`.

The new compressed kernel will be found as linux/arch/arm/boot/zImage.
-albertr
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 08:47:41 am by albertr »

Mjolinor

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 16, 2006, 09:38:20 am »
There're two directories in the cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20.tar.gz archive. One is linux kernel tree (with cacko patches already applied) and the other is kernel config file. If you have C3000, use spitz, if you have 3100, use borzoi. Copy it to linux/.config.
OK

Unpack the serial driver over the kernel tree, replacing the old files.
OK

Run menuconfig/xconfig to enable the serial driver (under character devices section) and disable "SL-series serial port support".
OK

Run `make dep`, then `make zImage`.
On the Zaurus or the PC. Presumably, if it is on the PC, I have to do soemthing to make it compile for the PXA rather than the X86, if it is on the Zaurus then I need to install GCC?

The new compressed kernel will be found as linux/arch/arm/boot/zImage.
Where is it on the Zaurus?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 09:39:38 am by Mjolinor »

albertr

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 16, 2006, 09:40:56 am »
If you have a native compiler/toolchain installed on the Zaurus, then you can compile it there. Otherwise use a crosscompiler.
-albertr

Mjolinor

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 16, 2006, 09:46:11 am »
So is this a cross compiler or a native compiler or soemthign else. How do I use it?

arm-cacko-linux-gnu-2.95.3-2.2.5-hardfloat-19.50_21.09.05
Having a directory called "cross" I assume it is the former so I added the path for the bin files with:-

export PATH=$PATH:/home/jd/Desktop/bluetooth/kernel/arm-cacko-linux-gnu-2.95.3-2.2.5-hardfloat-19.50_21.09.05/opt/cross/arm/2.95.3/bin
and make dep gives me:-
  Making asm-arm/arch -> asm-arm/arch-pxa symlink
  Making asm-arm/proc -> asm-arm/proc-armv symlink
rm -f include/asm
( cd include ; ln -sf asm-arm asm)
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/jd/Desktop/bluetooth/kernel/cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20/cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20/linux/arch/arm/tools'
/home/jd/Desktop/bluetooth/kernel/cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20/cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20/linux/scripts/mkdep -D__KERNEL__ -I/home/jd/Desktop/bluetooth/kernel/cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20/cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Uarm -fno-common -pipe -mapcs-32 -D__LINUX_ARM_ARCH__=4 -march=armv4 -Wa,-miwmmxt -mtune=strongarm -mshort-load-bytes -msoft-float -Uarm  -- getconstants.c |\
 sed s,getconstants.o,constants.h, > .depend
make all
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/jd/Desktop/bluetooth/kernel/cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20/cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20/linux/arch/arm/tools'
arm-cacko-linux-gnu-gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/home/jd/Desktop/bluetooth/kernel/cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20/cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Uarm -fno-common -pipe -mapcs-32 -D__LINUX_ARM_ARCH__=4 -march=armv4 -Wa,-miwmmxt -mtune=strongarm -mshort-load-bytes -msoft-float -Uarm -S -o constants.h.tmp.1 getconstants.c
make[2]: arm-cacko-linux-gnu-gcc: Command not found
make[2]: *** [constants.h] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/jd/Desktop/bluetooth/kernel/cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20/cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20/linux/arch/arm/tools'
make[1]: *** [dep] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jd/Desktop/bluetooth/kernel/cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20/cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20/linux/arch/arm/tools'
make: *** [archdep] Error 2

Stuck again now.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 01:44:20 pm by Mjolinor »

Mjolinor

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 17, 2006, 06:10:13 am »
Am I going to be able to do this more easily if I use a different ROM. At this stage I don't care which ROM is installed.

0xDEADBEEF

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 18, 2006, 03:39:51 am »
Today I found Zydas ZD1211 based USB Wifi dongles on sale at Fry's for $8.99+tax!
its called Airlink 101 AWLL3026/NA

It opens up very easily. I wonder if the PCB will fit inside C3100.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 18, 2006, 04:54:03 pm »
RE: Eriksson ROK module, been reading the specifications... it's a 3.3V device for both power and logic levels.

It has an I2C master interface, which I guess can be used to extend the I/O capability somewhat.

From the spec, it seems that these are not lead-free, which might explain how come there have been so many dumped on the market.

So, my question is this... how easy will it be to hook it up to my 860? Is there a spare serial port, or should I consider stealing the IRDA comm port?
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

0xDEADBEEF

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 19, 2006, 04:39:52 am »
I found an interesting device
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16833156046

Single dongle that does both wifi and bluetooth. I have downloaded windoze drivers from Trendnet website and it seems the wifi part uses Zydas ZD1211 chip.

0xDEADBEEF

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 19, 2006, 04:46:11 am »
Btw, this is my latest experiment

- el cheapo small usb hub
- airlink wifi dongle
- trendnet bt dongle (pdaxrom 2.4 kernel does not detect it ;-() it works in my desktop and in my laptop though
- 512mb flash drive

[ Invalid Attachment ]

unfortunately zaurus does not have enough mojo to power all these devices together

but it works in my Vaio U3

maybe I can stuff this into my Vaio!

guylhem

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 19, 2006, 06:12:17 am »
I found an interesting device
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16833156046

Single dongle that does both wifi and bluetooth. I have downloaded windoze drivers from Trendnet website and it seems the wifi part uses Zydas ZD1211 chip.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123729\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Interesting. Do you have one? If you can get it to work on a desktop linux machine (ideally with a 2.4 kernel), it could be made to work on the zaurus.

Guylhem

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 19, 2006, 06:58:34 am »
more at
http://www.trendware.com/products/TBW-103UB.htm

edit: shame it's not bluetooth 2.0 as well as 802.11a but then maybe I'm being too demanding!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 06:59:35 am by speculatrix »
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

0xDEADBEEF

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 19, 2006, 04:15:47 pm »
Interesting. Do you have one? If you can get it to work on a desktop linux machine (ideally with a 2.4 kernel), it could be made to work on the zaurus.

Guylhem

Not yet.
I have to order it.