Author Topic: Stuffing Serial Bluetooth Module Inside C1k Casing  (Read 358371 times)

utx

• View Profile
    • http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/zaurus/
Stuffing Serial Bluetooth Module Inside C1k Casing
« Reply #345 on: September 09, 2007, 06:50:22 pm »
I have a small update: SL-C3200 Hitachi HDD is CF2 size (5mm thick) so I doubt there will be enough space for any BT module using original pins. So the original PCB is exclusive: Either CF slot with HDD (SL-C3xxx) or Bluetooth (SL-C1000). One cannot have both there.

But you can still solder flat wires there and place BT module to another place. It means, that you can use any module which supports 3V data lines and UART mode. Nowadays you can buy much smaller modules than the original WML-C19NHR, which don't require external voltage regulator and reset.

Here's my photo of the 6000's motherboard and the module I bought which turned out to be the wrong type.

Your module is probably WML-C09AHR (AIR?). This is a module without sound processor and PIO and it is pin incompatible. But it can still be used wit a bit of wiring.

Youn have not only to carry about model name, but also letters after it:
A=embedded antenna
H (if it is really H)=H4 UART
R=regulator is included

You have need to wire at least these pins:
Four data pins.
Power.
Reset.

If you want to know exact wiring, I can send you data sheets with details.

But if you can look at your SL-6000, I would be glad, if you could help to detect following parts:
Small quad-resistor pack near module data pins.

And if you could trace or get high res photo of wires to following pins, it would be very nice:
Two changer modules to BT module pins 21 and 4. Each should consist from one small 5-pin IC, one a bit larger PCB capacitor and three small unknown parts. They should be located near to these pins, maybe on the opposite side of the PCB.

Also tracing of exact wiring of reset (one transistor and one unknown small part) would help. Note that at least the WML-C19 requires reset to work.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 11, 2007, 06:21:48 pm »
Here's the thread that Guylhem created about implanting bluetooth to turn a 6000L into a 6000W:
https://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showt...16&hl=bluetooth

I forgot to mention that a little while ago someone was offering Ericsson ROKR bluetooth modules, which are wafer thin... I bought three before I knew of the WML modules, but put them to one side - they are "ROK 101 008/21"  and maybe just a millimetre thick. I have the documents on them somewhere, I will dig it out.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

utx

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 11, 2007, 07:02:14 pm »
Here's the thread that Guylhem created about implanting bluetooth to turn a 6000L into a 6000W:

Yes, exactly this image, your photos of SL-6000, photos from semi-dead iral.com (working only from some OS versions) and photos from www.piro.hopto.org (dead, but available from archive.org) were start point for my attempt to reconstruct original BT design intention.

But as I wrote above, it could be usable only for SL-C1000. In SL-C3x00, even 1mm might be impossible. There is a theoretical chance to replace CF II HDD by CF I flash to get additional 1.7mm of space, but I am not going to do it. I use swap a lot and the disc seems to be better here (on each byte written, flash memories needs to clear and re-flash about 64kiB of data.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 12, 2007, 05:15:13 am »
hmm, so some ultra-fine wires and putting the bluetooth module elsewhere would be our only chance.

the alternative would be to not just replace the internal microdrive with a flash card, but replace it with, say, a stripped-down wifi card, fit the bluetooth module, and use the external CF slot instead for microdrive, and fit a 4GB sd card too. That way you'd have an ultimate-connectivity Zaurus but all the mass storage would be removable.

can the internal CF slot be used for I/O type devices, or is it limited to IDE/CF type?
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 12, 2007, 05:40:09 am »
Your module is probably WML-C09AHR (AIR?). This is a module without sound processor and PIO and it is pin incompatible. But it can still be used wit a bit of wiring.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167189\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

yes, this is what I have. I guess I have two choices if I wish to fit it into my 6000 - either get the WML-C19 instead which can be simply dropped into place, or, use lots of flying leads. hmm.

since there's no room to drop the WML-C19 into a C3x00 because of the microdrive, then it'd be better to use the WMLC09 module for that instead.

would you like one of my WML-C09 modules? free to you, if you pay P&P, for your generous giving of time to the zaurus community. Then, if you get it to work on the C3x00, I would be able to repeat your work!

Paul

utx

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 12, 2007, 05:50:55 am »
hmm, so some ultra-fine wires and putting the bluetooth module elsewhere would be our only chance.

the alternative would be to not just replace the internal microdrive with a flash card, but replace it with, say, a stripped-down wifi card, fit the bluetooth module, and use the external CF slot instead for microdrive, and fit a 4GB sd card too. That way you'd have an ultimate-connectivity Zaurus but all the mass storage would be removable.

can the internal CF slot be used for I/O type devices, or is it limited to IDE/CF type?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167311\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Wires don't need to be ultra fine. Being flat is enough. HDD protection foam bands make some space there.

I guess that both CF controllers are wired equally. But as you wrote, you need to strip down the WLAN card to fit in - I can't find any WLAN card without extender.

Using root on HDD in the external CF slot will disable it for using with other cool CF stuff, but it depends on personal preferences.

Using SD as a "modern floppy" is a good option. Using for system root has a speed constraint: Zaurus' SD is about 30% slower than CF slot (see my page for speed tests).

For other chances to connect WLAN see "Interfacing the IntelĀ® PXA27x Processor Family to 802.11 Companion Chips" document. The critical parameter for hw mods would be the number of needed wires. Note that there might be enough empty space for the antenna under the cover right from the screen joint. I guess it is completely empty. (not verified yet)

utx

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 12, 2007, 06:07:02 am »
would you like one of my WML-C09 modules? free to you, if you pay P&P, for your generous giving of time to the zaurus community. Then, if you get it to work on the C3x00, I would be able to repeat your work!

Well, I did not yet open my Zaurus and it is not yet high priority task for me. I am using BT USB dongle for USB and CF card for WLAN. It works but it's not comfortable and wiring everything inside looks like a good option for future. I was ready to spend more money to get such PDA, but no company makes anything more suitable for me than Zaurus SL-C3200.

Whenever I'll find enough courage to open my Zaurus and start with exact space measurements and soldering, I'll let you know. WML-C09 is one option, finding the smallest available nowadays is another one.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 12, 2007, 06:10:55 am »
you are also welcome to one of my ROK 101 modules instead, these are quite well documented too. let me know when you pluck up the courage and get the time.

frank7d

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 07, 2007, 01:43:04 pm »
Hi there.

I yesterday fitted an internal USB bluetooth adapter into my Akita. Could not have been done without this forum and the work of AlbertR.

What maybe of interest: With Angstrom Distribution and kernel 2.6.22 there is no need for ANY modification of the system. You only need a userland utility to switch power off of the internal usb device when it is not needed.

Small info at http://tiandi42.dyndns.org:8800/akita-bt.html

frank
Zaurus C1000 + C3000
asix-usb-eth, dm9601-usb-eth, 2 x CF-Wifi
Angstrom2016, AlarmZ, VoidZ

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 08, 2007, 04:43:25 pm »
excellent results, thanks for posting!

now I just need to wait for someone with a C3x00 to try to find space for an internal BT module and prove it possible, then I'll follow them!

njefferies

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 11, 2007, 06:38:22 am »
Quote from: speculatrix
excellent results, thanks for posting!

now I just need to wait for someone with a C3x00 to try to find space for an internal BT module and prove it possible, then I'll follow them!

This might make things easier: Princeton PTM-UBT3S

Conics have it: http://conics.net/catalog/product_info.php...f9d93d34bf3c25d
Current: HP Omnibook 300, Dell XPS 13 Dev Edition, Samsung Tab S 8.4, GPD Pocket
Past: Compaq Concerto, Palm III, TRG Pro, Handera 330, Omnibook 600, AST Ascentia J30, Omnibook 800CT, Palm Tungsten T, Lifebook B2154, Zaurus SL-C1000, Lifebook U810

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 11, 2007, 05:53:06 pm »
Quote from: njefferies
This might make things easier: Princeton PTM-UBT3S

Conics have it: http://conics.net/catalog/product_info.php...f9d93d34bf3c25d

GBP20 or US$40, not cheap but as you say, so small as to make life MUCH easier for implantation.

frank7d

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 14, 2007, 11:01:32 am »
Quote from: frank7d
Small info at http://tiandi42.dyndns.org:8800/akita-bt.html

frank

there still was an issue with power. I managed now to switch the gpio used to control power into input mode. This allows shutting off power for the internal usb device on suspend and I now use the regular 5V. No interference between usb port 1 (internal BT) and extenal usb devices. See above link for details.
frank.
Zaurus C1000 + C3000
asix-usb-eth, dm9601-usb-eth, 2 x CF-Wifi
Angstrom2016, AlarmZ, VoidZ

utx

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 01, 2008, 09:29:10 pm »
I just got one Zydas based WLAN USB dongle (A-LINK WL54USB, variant with ZD1211B). Looking at the PCB details, it seems, that there is no use for 5V and the whole dongle is powered by 3.3V. What's a shame, this one uses linear voltage regulator (Ame A8805). It has two interesting consequences:

- It is probably possible to power the dongle from 3.3V.

- Powering from 3.3V will eat 33% less power.

Capn_Fish

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #359 on: February 01, 2008, 09:37:06 pm »
So have you tried running it off of just the Z's USB power? I may be interested in getting one if it worked without an external hub.

Eagerly awaiting more details...
SL-C750- pdaXrom beta 1 (mostly unused)
Current distro: Gentoo