Author Topic: Can't Run My Own Simple Java Apps With Jeode  (Read 7113 times)

bfsmith9

• View Profile
Can't Run My Own Simple Java Apps With Jeode
« on: July 05, 2005, 01:13:25 am »
Hi all.
I've been having some problems with jeode on Opie. I installed jeode, and had some problems running anything at first. There was something wrong with oz-compat, so I reinstalled it today. Then I ran oz-compat on both PrimTest and Quasar - sweet success! So I figured - no problem, now I'll be able to run my own apps that I compiled on my Linux box. I had been able to run both a "Hello World" app and another thing from the Sun Website that puts a funky little design in a window when I was using Jeode on the Sharp ROM. But here, I can't get either of these to work at all. The most recent error I had was: "/opt/QtPalmtop/bin/evm: symbol lookup error: /opt/QtPalmtop/bin/evm: undefined symbol: _7QString.shared_null".

If anyone has any thoughts on how I can get these going I'd be much obliged - I'd really love to be using the zaurus to work with my own java programs, and I don't think I could go back to the Sharp ROM. This is all on a 5600 with Opie 3.5.2.

Thanks,
Barry
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 01:15:58 am by bfsmith9 »
Zaurus SL-5600, PXA250
Watapon ROM 1.6.1
512MB Sandisk SD card
D-Link DCF-660W wireless CF card

Mongoosefred

• View Profile
    • http://www.xlevel.org.uk
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 08:31:58 am »
Hi all.
I've been having some problems with jeode on Opie. I installed jeode, and had some problems running anything at first. There was something wrong with oz-compat, so I reinstalled it today. Then I ran oz-compat on both PrimTest and Quasar - sweet success! So I figured - no problem, now I'll be able to run my own apps that I compiled on my Linux box. I had been able to run both a "Hello World" app and another thing from the Sun Website that puts a funky little design in a window when I was using Jeode on the Sharp ROM. But here, I can't get either of these to work at all. The most recent error I had was: "/opt/QtPalmtop/bin/evm: symbol lookup error: /opt/QtPalmtop/bin/evm: undefined symbol: _7QString.shared_null".

If anyone has any thoughts on how I can get these going I'd be much obliged - I'd really love to be using the zaurus to work with my own java programs, and I don't think I could go back to the Sharp ROM. This is all on a 5600 with Opie 3.5.2.

Thanks,
Barry
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87032\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I had this issue when I went to 3.5.3.
I never have managed figure out why Jeode would sometimes work and sometimes not, must be some thing to do with the state of the moon or the tides or something.

Check the compat stuff, I'm really sure it's that.
(I fixed it by using Watapon instad of OZ  ).
-MF
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']
QuackNews RSS Reader
----------
Zaurus SL-5600 (Watapon ROM 1.6)
Zaurus SL-5500 (On load to a friend)
512 MB SD-Card
PNY 64MB CF-Card
VIKING 256MB CF-Card
Sharp Digital Camera (On load to a friend)
NL-2511CF WiFi Card
[/font][/span]

bfsmith9

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 10:35:05 am »
Thanks, Mongoosefred. I've been trying everything I can think of. Maybe it's the classpath? I don't know - I'm new to java and really don't know how to set that on the zaurus, either. Actually even if I run evm on nothing at all, with no file argument, just /opt/QtPalmtop/evm I get the same error as above - which makes me think evm isn't seeing something. I know I'm not.  

Anyway I'll just keep plugging away. I wonder if I should try to use the jre from one of the later zaurii - not sure if it will work on this. Well, that will be the last thing I try. I guess my next bet will be to continue to try to duplicate whatever quasar and primtest are doing, though it seems like an awful lot of effort just to make the console say "hello world." I really don't want to try any other ROM at this point.
Zaurus SL-5600, PXA250
Watapon ROM 1.6.1
512MB Sandisk SD card

bfsmith9

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 12:43:43 am »
Ok, people, finally got it. Pain. Suffering. Here it is:
I had a simple HelloWorldApp.class I made on a separate computer with java. When you run java HelloWorldApp on the computer you get Hello World!

To make it work on OpenZaurus with Jeode, I made a shell script like this:

#-------------------------------
#!bin/sh
/opt/QtPalmtop/bin/evm -cp /root HelloWorldApp
#-------------------------------

/root is the directory where I kept the HelloWorldApp.class, as well as the shell script above. What was killing me was that in the shell script I did not have the full path for evm. But I looked more carefully at the runprimtest and runquasar shell scripts and saw that full path. Then things started coming together. One other minor hitch was that I got the message "Can't find font definition file /usr/local/qt-embedded/lib/fonts/fontdir." So I ran: export $QTDIR=/opt/QtPalmtop at the command line.

Then I ran oz-compat on the shell file alone - that's all, without running oz-compat on either the class or the evm binary. Again, this was mimicking what worked with quasar and primtest.

I also had some kinds of corruption issues at times, and reinstalled opie-sh, oz-compat, and jeode-for-oz3 in that order two or three times.

Zaurus SL-5600, PXA250
Watapon ROM 1.6.1
512MB Sandisk SD card