Author Topic: Wli2-cf-s11 ... Trouble After Editing Hermes.conf  (Read 2822 times)

vputz

• View Profile
Wli2-cf-s11 ... Trouble After Editing Hermes.conf
« on: August 06, 2005, 12:18:08 am »
OK, I bought a shiny new C1000 (happy day!) and flashed with the latest Hentges-style.

My Buffalo WLI2-CF-S11 networking card, which worked flawlessly with the standard Sharp rom, is unrecognized (sad day!) under OZ.

Now, being no stranger to the search command, I found that under PdaXrom, I would add the following to /etc/pcmcia/hermes.conf:

Code: [Select]
card "Buffalo WLI2-CF-S11"
  manfid 0x026f, 0x030b
  bind "orinoco_cs"

I did so.  I put in my card...

Code: [Select]
root@akita:/# cardctl ident
Socket 0:
  product info: "BUFFALO", "WLI2-CF-S11", "", ""
  manfid: 0x026f, 0x030b
  function: 6 (network)
Socket 1:
  no product info available

root@akita:/# cardctl status
Socket 0:
  3.5v 16-bit PC Card
  function 0: [ready]
Socket 1:
  no card

Frabjous day!  But... even after restarting pcmcia, unplugging, replugging, etc... no modules get automatically loaded.  And if I manually "modprobe orinoco_cs", forcing orinoco and hermes to load, they don't seem to see anything.  Ifconfig and iwconfig both stoutly deny the existance of any network devices; ifup wlan0 is even more offended.

I am pouting.  Any help available, even for diagnosing?  I don't know much about pcmcia wizardry to easily diagnose this.

Also... any reason the display keeps getting corrupted under Konsole?  It's really, really annoying; I see dead characters, walking around like regular characters, not knowing they're dead, and it makes it right difficult to read.

-->VPutz
« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 12:19:50 am by vputz »

vputz

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 03:30:22 am »
After deciding that I'd given up too easily, I worked that search function some more and tried making the same modifications to hostap.conf, (binding, of course, to hostap_cs), with similar results.

I shall pout some more.  What am I missing?

-->VPutz

vputz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 03:35:04 am »
Plot thickens.

Manually modprobing hostap_cs gives me lots of unresolved symbol errors as described in another thread.  On the C1k, the bootup seems to love its "SHARP" logo, so I don't see the OZ text messages and can't verify a warning exists earlier.  Other modules load fine (orinoco_cs, for example, loads quite happily).

Hmmm.

-->VPutz

Greg2

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 09:14:54 am »
On the C1k, the bootup seems to love its "SHARP" logo, so I don't see the OZ text messages and can't verify a warning exists earlier.
I don't have a C1k, but I don't think you've flashed the OZ kernel for this image. Check: cat /proc/version

Greg

vputz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 11:50:17 am »
On the C1k, the bootup seems to love its "SHARP" logo, so I don't see the OZ text messages and can't verify a warning exists earlier.
I don't have a C1k, but I don't think you've flashed the OZ kernel for this image. Check: cat /proc/version

Greg
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90926\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

That is almost certainly the problem according to the hentges thread.  I'm still working that one--but thanks for pointing out my error!

-->VPutz

vputz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 12:39:50 pm »
Found it--I had named zImage.bin "zImage" on the CF card, so it couldn't see it.  Silly me.

Looks pretty good, at least with the basic stuff.  Haven't played much yet with the wireless, but I can see that wlan0 exists.  Now to try wrestling with wpa_supplicant (shudder).

-->VPutz