Author Topic: C3100 Hdd Recovery  (Read 29374 times)

foley

• View Profile
C3100 Hdd Recovery
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2005, 02:03:55 pm »
Quote from: foley,Nov 10 2005, 10:16 AM
You have to make the disk rw by doing

Code: [Select]
mount  -o  remount,rw /dev/hdd1[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103158\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Hi GadgetGuy,

Thanks for your help. I tried to remount but it still not working.
By typing ls i saw the folders within /dev/hdd1 are:

"Applications" "Documents" "Settings" instead of lost+found

Is this normal?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103159\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
[/quote]

Finally i'm able to cp files to .sys folder in hdd1. However, "HDD is not initialized" message still exist while booting up........

foley

• View Profile
C3100 Hdd Recovery
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2005, 02:39:42 pm »
I thought it works but in fact it doesn't. I tried to cp files in DB mode but the changes didn't take effect after reboot. ......

I'm still unable to copy necessary content files to hdd1 due to read-only file system problem. Even remount do not work. Did I miss something? Please help!

foley

• View Profile
C3100 Hdd Recovery
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2005, 04:43:30 pm »
It's done finally. My C3100 boot up fine for now. However, I've encountered another problem regarding the HD.......

When I try to access hdd2 by using Tree!Explorer. It takes a very long time to read the disk. I ended up put my ear to the keypad and hear some strange noise from the HD, something like "tick tick tick". Sounds like the HD is having a hard time to seek for data. I'm afraid the microdrive is about to die. Any suggestion please?

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
C3100 Hdd Recovery
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2006, 11:23:34 pm »
Maybe someone can please advise...trying to get my 3100 working again....

Was running OZ/GPE and then decided to go back to Sharp ROM or Cacko...had problem downloading Cacko, so did D+M Restore with TriSoft's 3100 file. Restore appeared to go OK. But when I rebooted, got 'HDD2 Error!!' after some fiddling, then got 'HDD1 Error!!'

So following instructions on this thread I did the following:

Downloaded the TriSoft files and put them on SD card.

Then followed TriSoft's instructions and re-did my HD partitions and then formatted the partitions and then made the '.sys' directories in /hdd1 and /hdd2 and then copied over the 'hdd1sys' files into /hdd1/.sys and 'hdd2sys' files into /hdd2/.sys.

Then rebooted and voila!

Now, instead of the 'hdd1 error' or 'hdd2 error' messages I got at bootup I get the message:

Error!! HDD is not initialized!

According to TriSoft's instructions you get this message if the directories and files are missing. However, I just setup those directories and copied files into them........  

Now what???

Thanks,

Mark

I thought it works but in fact it doesn't. I tried to cp files in DB mode but the changes didn't take effect after reboot. ......

I'm still unable to copy necessary content files to hdd1 due to read-only file system problem. Even remount do not work. Did I miss something? Please help!
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103182\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

Cresho

• View Profile
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~cresho/
C3100 Hdd Recovery
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2006, 11:27:28 pm »
that is exactly what i am afraid to do.  flash into another rom and kill my machine.  Try pdaxrom.  how about the original sharprom that comes in the cd.  why not use that?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 11:28:49 pm by Cresho »
Zaurus C-3200 (internal 8gb seagate drive) with buuf icon theme, cacko 1.23 full,  and also Meanie's pdaxqtrom-Debian/Open Office
Zaurus SL-5500 Sharp Rom 3.13 with steel theme
pretec pocket pc wi fi
ambicom bt2000-cf bluetooth-made in taiwan
simpletech 1gb cf
pny 1gb sd
patriot 2gb
ocz or patriot 4gb sd(failed after 2 weeks)only on z
creative csw-5300 speakers in stereo
DigiLife DDV-1000 for video, Audio, Picture recording playable on the zaurus
Mustek DV4500-video recorder, pictures, voice record on sd for z

zaurusthemes.biz | ZaurusVideo | Zaurus Software

Jon_J

• View Profile
    • http://
C3100 Hdd Recovery
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2006, 11:34:25 pm »
This may not help, but I read somewhere, (for the C3100) that hdd1 is set as ro as default, and hdd2 is rw
I may be wrong, but I'm sure one of these two partitions is ro and the other is rw.
I read this here in the forum, I'll go look for it now.
Jon
C3100 Multiboot-->Angstrom 2007.12-r18 | Cacko 1.23 | ArchLinuxARM
C3200 pdaxii13v2-5.5-alpha4 Akita on NAND

Ambicom WL1100C-CF Wifi - Ambicom CF modem - Ambicom CF GPS - Belkin-F5D5050 USB LAN
Socket CF Bluetooth rev K - Iogear 4 port USB micro hub - pocket CF card reader
Targus mini USB optical mouse - 2 Targus SD card readers

Jon_J

• View Profile
    • http://
C3100 Hdd Recovery
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2006, 11:50:21 pm »
Maybe I didn't read this in this forum after all.
Checking system info in Cacko shows this in the "mounts" tab: (see attached pic)
/dev/hda1/ ext3 ro, noatime
/dev/hda2/ ext3 rw, noatime
/dev/hda3/ vfat  rw, noatime
C3100 Multiboot-->Angstrom 2007.12-r18 | Cacko 1.23 | ArchLinuxARM
C3200 pdaxii13v2-5.5-alpha4 Akita on NAND

Ambicom WL1100C-CF Wifi - Ambicom CF modem - Ambicom CF GPS - Belkin-F5D5050 USB LAN
Socket CF Bluetooth rev K - Iogear 4 port USB micro hub - pocket CF card reader
Targus mini USB optical mouse - 2 Targus SD card readers

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
C3100 Hdd Recovery
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 10:06:05 am »
Will check that out, Jon_J.....

Thanks!!!

Mark

Maybe I didn't read this in this forum after all.
Checking system info in Cacko shows this in the "mounts" tab: (see attached pic)
/dev/hda1/ ext3 ro, noatime
/dev/hda2/ ext3 rw, noatime
/dev/hda3/ vfat  rw, noatime
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121703\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
MacBookPro

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
C3100 Hdd Recovery
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2006, 10:07:48 am »
Cresho, I had pdaxrom on my Z before I tried OZ/GPE.....as for the original Sharp ROM, it's not on the CD...I did use TriSoft's restore file that gives you back the Sharp ROM...

Thanks,

Mark

that is exactly what i am afraid to do.  flash into another rom and kill my machine.  Try pdaxrom.  how about the original sharprom that comes in the cd.  why not use that?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121700\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
MacBookPro

dlj0

• View Profile
C3100 Hdd Recovery
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2006, 12:58:27 pm »
Hi everybody,

i have to correct my yesterdays posting. The sentence "should
boot even with a fresh formatted HDD" points to the FAT partition
with the "Documents" and dictionary directories.

But there are three partitions on the SL-C3100 HDD. So if the HDD
is totally blank without any partitions, the SL-C3100 won't boot up.
And this is how a SL-C3100 HDD partition table should look like:

/dev/hda1  Start 1  End 20  Blocks 10048+  id 83 System Linux
/dev/hda2  Start 21 End 40  Blocks 10080  id 83 System Linux
/dev/hda3  Start 41 End 7936 Blocks 3979584 id c System Win95 FAT32 (LBA)

/hda1 and /hda2 are 9.5 MB partitions. Each one contains a ".sys" and
a "lost+found" directory. The contents of the .sys-directories are
amazing   :

Files in /hdd1/.sys :
hdimage2.tgz  (2713 Bytes, contains japanese web-bookmarks - hurray !)
hdlist1.dat (85 Bytes, no clue what it's good for)

Files in /hdd2/.sys :
contlist.dat (100156 Bytes)
hdlist2.dat (1427 Bytes)
hdlist3.dat (1519 Bytes)

We just put these files zipped in our download-section:
SL-C3100 SystemPartition contents (90 KB)

///TRIsoft

Marc Stephan
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91575\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

My experience is that all that is not necessary.  I, naively, re-partitioned my HD with three ext3 partitions of completely different sizes than these (/dev/hda1  and 2 are 1g, and 3 is 2G).  It works fine.  I think I am totally lucky to have chosen to create three partitions, since I'm guessing it would not have worked with a different number (or at least not with fewer partitions).  

BTW, I read once, but forgot, where the system finds out about the drive.  I tried editing /etc/fstab, but IIRC that is not used -- besides, the stock version has incorrect information (conflicting with reality) on it which is ignored.  Can't whatever file that is be edited to allow you to change the partitioning of the drive?
Zaurus:  SL C3100
ROM:  eabi debian/sid

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
C3100 Hdd Recovery
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2006, 09:26:25 pm »
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
C3100 Hdd Recovery
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2006, 11:38:42 pm »
Thanks for the reference and for your great site, Meanie!!!

Meanwhile, I think I figured out why I got that last error message.....  

While I thought I'd copied those TriSoft files for HDD1 and HDD2 to the right places, I'd actually copied over the entire directory instead of just the files over to the right places....

So I moved the files, then rebooted and voila!....my little 3100 booted up properly to the set date and time screen!!!.....

Life is good again.....

THANKS to everyone for all the help and support...it always helps when you think you've really done it this time.....

Mark

Have a look at this http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/custom.html#hdd3
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121815\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
MacBookPro

Cresho

• View Profile
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~cresho/
C3100 Hdd Recovery
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2006, 10:44:01 am »
in my case, i forgot to remount them to the perspective filesystems.

HOT DOG!  
Zaurus C-3200 (internal 8gb seagate drive) with buuf icon theme, cacko 1.23 full,  and also Meanie's pdaxqtrom-Debian/Open Office
Zaurus SL-5500 Sharp Rom 3.13 with steel theme
pretec pocket pc wi fi
ambicom bt2000-cf bluetooth-made in taiwan
simpletech 1gb cf
pny 1gb sd
patriot 2gb
ocz or patriot 4gb sd(failed after 2 weeks)only on z
creative csw-5300 speakers in stereo
DigiLife DDV-1000 for video, Audio, Picture recording playable on the zaurus
Mustek DV4500-video recorder, pictures, voice record on sd for z

zaurusthemes.biz | ZaurusVideo | Zaurus Software

obscurite

• View Profile
C3100 Hdd Recovery
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2006, 04:00:30 am »
Thanks trisoft,

I had been running OpenBSD and had blown away my partitions and needed an easy restore method.

By the way, for those not familiar with fdisk, just boot into linux (b+d on reboot) and do fdisk /dev/hda. Delete your existing partitions with 'd'. Create new partitions with 'n', all primary. Set types with 't' according to the readme in the trisoft file. Exit with 'w' when done, but print with 'p' to check before. When you're done with your partition table, run the mkfs/mke2fs commands in the readme. Mount the /dev/hda1 /dev/hda2 partitions with 'mount /dev/hd# /hdd#' where # is 1 or 2. Then for each drive  'mkdir /hdd#/.sys' and 'cp -r /mnt/cf/hdd#sys /hdd#/.sys' to restore the drive contents (assuming your CF card is mounted on /mnt/cf. Use /mnt/card if you're doing SD). Reboot into your ROM installer and you should be OK.

After 2 days of goose-chasing a bad SD card I  was finally ready to install a ROM and then to my horror realized my partitions were gone, and much to my relief, trisoft came to the rescue.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 04:02:24 am by obscurite »
C3100, 5500, former C860 owner

mfbrown

• View Profile
C3100 Hdd Recovery
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2007, 10:10:56 am »
Thanks very much for the guide for newbies like me - I needed the extra help.  Just in case anyone else is struggling, however, may I with all humility point out the typo (or at least it seems to be a typo) where you refer to  "mount /dev/hd#", and I suspect it should be "mount /dev/hda#".  At least, it worked for me that way.
Thanks again,
Mark

Thanks trisoft,

I had been running OpenBSD and had blown away my partitions and needed an easy restore method.

By the way, for those not familiar with fdisk, just boot into linux (b+d on reboot) and do fdisk /dev/hda. Delete your existing partitions with 'd'. Create new partitions with 'n', all primary. Set types with 't' according to the readme in the trisoft file. Exit with 'w' when done, but print with 'p' to check before. When you're done with your partition table, run the mkfs/mke2fs commands in the readme. Mount the /dev/hda1 /dev/hda2 partitions with 'mount /dev/hd# /hdd#' where # is 1 or 2. Then for each drive  'mkdir /hdd#/.sys' and 'cp -r /mnt/cf/hdd#sys /hdd#/.sys' to restore the drive contents (assuming your CF card is mounted on /mnt/cf. Use /mnt/card if you're doing SD). Reboot into your ROM installer and you should be OK.

After 2 days of goose-chasing a bad SD card I  was finally ready to install a ROM and then to my horror realized my partitions were gone, and much to my relief, trisoft came to the rescue.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=126691\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]