Author Topic: Flash Card Program For Testing Vocabulary?  (Read 128990 times)

kurochka

• View Profile
Flash Card Program For Testing Vocabulary?
« Reply #210 on: September 02, 2009, 07:28:08 am »
Here are some more. It's highly usable whether in full screen or not. The preferences window would not go into full screen. I don't know why. so the problem is only with preferences and even then I was able to do with it what I needed.
SL-C3100 (from PriceJapan.com): modified Sharp Rom (couldn't make Japanese input work in Cacko Rom)

ex-SL-C3000; ex-SL-5600; ex-Simpad

Frederic Bergeron

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #211 on: September 02, 2009, 08:38:37 am »
Thanks again for these additional screenshots.  I think it looks very good in full-screen mode.  For the Preferences window, I will fix it in the week-end if I have time.  

I noticed that the progress bar in the Quiz is missing.  Could you tell me if it's visible or not when you use the Quiz in normal mode (not full-screen)?
toMOTko Flashcard Project
SL-C1000 Sharp ROM

kurochka

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 02, 2009, 09:45:36 am »
Quote from: Frederic Bergeron
I noticed that the progress bar in the Quiz is missing.  Could you tell me if it's visible or not when you use the Quiz in normal mode (not full-screen)?

No, it's not there.

The menu strip is done differently in Maemo (it's a pull down menu hidden in an icon - see the glossary management screen above - the one that is not in the fullscreen mode).  The progress bar appears to be in the same row on my Zaurus.  On Maemo it is absent.  I wonder if it's because of differences in how the menu strip is displayed.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 09:47:27 am by kurochka »
SL-C3100 (from PriceJapan.com): modified Sharp Rom (couldn't make Japanese input work in Cacko Rom)

Frederic Bergeron

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 02, 2009, 10:11:20 am »
Maybe in another version, I will try to make a special case for Maemo and display the progress bar somewhere else.  It's no big deal anyway.  Thanks for the quick reply.
SL-C1000 Sharp ROM

Frederic Bergeron

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 04, 2009, 03:03:51 am »
A new version of toMOTko for Maemo is available for tests in the extra-devel repository.  The Preferences and other utility windows (like Search and Edit Term windows) should be maximized.  In the emulator, I cannot see whether it works or not.  

@Kurochka: When you have time, could you try it and tell me if it's better.  Of course, if you can submit screenshots, that would be even better.

Also, could you also try this:  Apparently that clicking on the link corresponding to your distribution, with your Maemo device, that the application should install itself.  

diablo
fremantle
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 07:08:58 am by Frederic Bergeron »
SL-C1000 Sharp ROM

kurochka

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 04, 2009, 03:07:57 pm »
I'll test on diablo this weekend. Oh, so you've been able to put it into the depository.  Nice.

kurochka

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 08, 2009, 12:33:47 pm »
The N810 informed me that there is an update for toMOTko and I was able to update to the latest version without a problem.  However, nothing has changed.  At least I can't see anything different.  So, I haven't taken any screenshots.

Frederic Bergeron

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 08, 2009, 08:17:04 pm »
Quote from: kurochka
The N810 informed me that there is an update for toMOTko and I was able to update to the latest version without a problem.  However, nothing has changed.  At least I can't see anything different.  So, I haven't taken any screenshots.

That may explain why I could not see any difference either in the emulator.  I'm positive though that I put some instructions to maximize the Preferences window.  They are probably ignored by Maemo somehow.  Hmmm...  I will investigate some more on this and let you know if I find anything new.  Thank you for testing it.
SL-C1000 Sharp ROM

Frederic Bergeron

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 10, 2009, 03:33:07 am »
I've uploaded another version.  By the time you read this message, it should be available in the repository.

This time, I can see that the Preferences Window is full-screen even in the emulator.  So this time, it should work.

I have another thing I would like you to test in this version.  If you make a Search (in the Edit menu), can you show the Search Dialog full-screen?  And if so, is there anyway to close the window when it is in full-screen?

Also, you mentioned that the N810 informed you that there was an update of toMOTko.  Was it automatic or did you have to open the package manager to receive the notification?  I ask out of curiosity.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 10:37:26 am by Frederic Bergeron »
SL-C1000 Sharp ROM

kurochka

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 14, 2009, 11:28:11 am »
Ok.  I've installed the new update and run it through its paces.  Yes, the Preferences Window is fullscreen and it cannot be made less than that by the dedicated screen-resize button (I guess it's hard-wired now).  I do not see this as an issue.

The Search function works well but it cannot go into fullscreen mode.  There is an additional problem.  If the previous window (typically, Manage Glossaries) was in fullscreen mode, then I select Search, and minimize the Search window by tapping a minimize widget, I am stuck at the fullscreen window and there is no way to get out of it without rebooting the device.  I presume that this is because the controls are still associated with the search window that has been minimized.

The same problem happens with the main Quiz window in fullscreen, and the edit window that is minimized.  The reboot is required to get out of this too.

Maemo includes an update widget that from time to time checks for updates (similar to Windows and Linux).  However, I do not know how often it checks for updates.  This time it did not show an available update but I was able to update by following the link you've given above.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 11:31:48 am by kurochka »

Frederic Bergeron

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 15, 2009, 02:39:53 am »
Ok.  I've installed the new update and run it through its paces.  Yes, the Preferences Window is fullscreen and it cannot be made less than that by the dedicated screen-resize button (I guess it's hard-wired now).  I do not see this as an issue.

Good.

The Search function works well but it cannot go into fullscreen mode.  There is an additional problem.  If the previous window (typically, Manage Glossaries) was in fullscreen mode, then I select Search, and minimize the Search window by tapping a minimize widget, I am stuck at the fullscreen window and there is no way to get out of it without rebooting the device.  I presume that this is because the controls are still associated with the search window that has been minimized.

The same problem happens with the main Quiz window in fullscreen, and the edit window that is minimized.  The reboot is required to get out of this too.

That was expected for the Search Window not to be "full-screenable".  

For the other issue, I will make sure that the dialog windows are not minimizable.  Usually, the dialog windows are used for a short actions (like performing a search, changing a preferences setting, or edit a term) so I think it should be a problem to do so and it will prevent the issue to happen if I understand correcly.

I will release a next version shortly to this effect.

Thanks for you precious help.  I know how time-consuming and bothering it can be.

Maemo includes an update widget that from time to time checks for updates (similar to Windows and Linux).  However, I do not know how often it checks for updates.  This time it did not show an available update but I was able to update by following the link you've given above.

It seems to be well done.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 07:43:12 am by Frederic Bergeron »
SL-C1000 Sharp ROM

kurochka

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 15, 2009, 11:10:22 am »
If you prevent Search and Edit dialogs from getting minimized, then it would fix this issue.  Even now it is unlikely that somebody would minimize those dialogs, although it is better to fix this.

As you know, Nokia is introducing new Maemo device - N900 smartphone that has a different size screen and the new Maemo version.  It remains to be seen how popular it becomes.

kurochka

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 15, 2009, 01:00:10 pm »
Frederic,

Here is an interesting candidate for a multilingual glossary for toMOTko:  http://www.iespravia.com/inmigrantes/idiomas/Diccionario.xls

Is it possible to put all of the languages into one study list and then select the needed pairs in the Glossary Management window?

The words are divided into categories.  I guess the categories could go into the notes section or maybe we could subdivide the list into separate glossaries based on the categories.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 01:03:55 pm by kurochka »

Frederic Bergeron

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 15, 2009, 08:53:45 pm »
Frederic,

Here is an interesting candidate for a multilingual glossary for toMOTko:  http://www.iespravia.com/inmigrantes/idiomas/Diccionario.xls

Is it possible to put all of the languages into one study list and then select the needed pairs in the Glossary Management window?

The words are divided into categories.  I guess the categories could go into the notes section or maybe we could subdivide the list into separate glossaries based on the categories.

Indeed, I could create interesting glossaries from that file.

Yes, it's possible to include many languages into glossary files.  When you import such files, you will be asked to check the languages that you want to retain.  The corresponding data will be extracted and imported.  You can keep all the languages if you want.  Then, using the language selectors, you will be able to study the language of your choice.
SL-C1000 Sharp ROM

Frederic Bergeron

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 16, 2009, 11:32:27 pm »
A new version should be available by the time you read this.  To prevent minimizing some windows (like Search Dialog), I show them in full-screen.  There seems to be no easy way to remove the minimize button from a window on Maemo.  Tell me if it's better like that.
SL-C1000 Sharp ROM