Author Topic: Best Rom For 5600?  (Read 55645 times)

fooman

• View Profile
Best Rom For 5600?
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2006, 04:50:42 pm »
I tried the 3.5.4.1 feed - I'm seeing the same problems as with the 3.5.4 packages.  It's somewhat of a crapshoot as to what packages work and what don't.

If your snes9x works, can you point me toward a place where I can download an ipk?

Like you, I'm also interested in finding out how to download a binary of the 2.6.17 test kernel.  Having sound would be very nice.

So mplayer and prboom is good?

hey, maybe even zPSX could run. XD

Hey cool, sound is now good!

Is there a new test kernel and image downloadable for this (GPE?) Where do i go to get it if there is?

Looks like it's pretty much ready for users, at least in GPE's case.

Last few bugs aren't the kind to kill me!
You've done this really well, and really fast. I hereby name you Ferret-Simpson's coder-of-the-year.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135223\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
SL-C3000 running Cacko 1.23 Beta 1 with Tetsu's special Kernel v18b
Swapped out 4 GB Microdrive for 4 GB CF card
1 GB SanDisk Ultra II SD card with ext2 filesystem
128 MB swapfile on SD card
Ambicom 802.11b WiFi CF card
TRENDnet 10 Mbps Ethernet CF card

Ferret-Simpson

• View Profile
Best Rom For 5600?
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2006, 06:03:24 pm »
You'd need the initRD as well, do a complete reflash.  Also, GPE is better than OPIE (IMHO) So I'd like to try that out on here as well.

Hopefully the packages will work better on 2.6.17? That's the kernel in 3.5.4.1, right? Where as 3.5.4 is a 2.4.X and we're on 2.6.12. . .  Correctamundo?

Coreduuuump. . .? |looks smiling and happy and hopeful|

I don't suppose you fancy releasing the latest version to us hungry betatesters do you?
Cortana: PXA250/Poodle: OZ/GPE 3.4.2RC1
Tycho PXA270/HTC_Universal WM5  .30.107/1.09.00/42.42.P8/1.30.162
HollyWatch: Fossil AU5005 - POS 4.1.2
ATLANTIS: Fujitsu Lifebook T4210 TBPC2005

Tosh256CF, Adlink CF 802.11B, 512KingSD, 128VikSD, CFChiMeiG1GPRS

Ferret-Simpson

• View Profile
Best Rom For 5600?
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2006, 06:06:11 pm »
Ah. 2.6.16

And apparently a new release is "./17-JUL-06/COMING SOON"

CoreDump

• View Profile
    • http://www.hentges.net
Best Rom For 5600?
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2006, 06:39:29 pm »
Ah. 2.6.16

And apparently a new release is "./17-JUL-06/COMING SOON"
[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

It took a bit longer than expected but here it is:
[a href=\"http://hentges.net/tmp/Poodle-Kernel-2.6/17-JUL-06/]http://hentges.net/tmp/Poodle-Kernel-2.6/17-JUL-06/[/url]

The GPE version needs hotkey bindings (edit /etc/keylaunchrc for that)
Sound drivers are installed but currently you'll get nasty distortions after any sound is played.

There is a alsa-mixer configuration which enables perfect sound (after rebooting) since RP's sound worked just fine. After he installed my asound.state he got caught by the distortions, too. Sadly he overwrote his working asound.state.

Soo....if you manage to find the working settings (using alsamixer) let me know =)
Webmaster of hentges.net & Embedded Linux Developer.

cstrand1

• View Profile
    • http://www.swedes5.com
Best Rom For 5600?
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2006, 12:35:56 pm »
Well, I just installed and tried both opie and gpe.  What everyone says is true, my little is fast.  I have always liked GPE and would like to use it, but is was sloooww on the poodle.

One question now, is getting it to recognize my network card.  Maybe I missed other posts regarding this, but when I try and assign any driver, it does not work.  I have an Ambicom WL1100C card.

Great work on this.

Chuck
SL-5600 PXA250
Opie 3.5.4/GPE 3.5.4 on SD (altboot)
Sandisk 1GB SD
Sandisk Ultra II 256MB CF
Ambicom WL1100C

fooman

• View Profile
Best Rom For 5600?
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2006, 05:30:12 pm »
As soon as I saw coredump's message, I grabbed up the latest kernel, hentges GPE image, and the cardfs image.  I figured it was now time to try GPE.

I found that I liked GPE better than Opie.   I like the idea of running X on my PDA and I'm familiar with the GNOME interface.  Unfortunately I ran into a lot of problems with GPE.  I have a 1 GB SD card formatted with FAT32.  I tried formatting it with ext2 a while ago before but ran into many fsck problems.  So I created a 900 MB loopback filesystem and formatted it with ext2.  I changed /etc/fstab so it mounts the SD card into /mnt/sd and the loopback filesystem into /media/card.  I've been using this loopback filesystem with Opie and the 2.6.16 kernel without any problems.

But for some reason, my GPE installation would periodically lock up when it was doing a disk operation.  I would do something as simple as "rm -r <directory>" on a tiny directory on the SD card and the command would never finish and go back to the prompt.  This also happened when I tried to install various packages on the card.  Sometimes the disk light would constantly light up as if the system was thrashing, but other times I wouldn't see the light very much.  I tried killing the process, rebooting, etc.  The only way to stop the locked up process was to do a hard reset of the system.

I thought it might be related to the SD card and the new kernel and initrd image.  So I reformatted the SD card with FAT32 and then recreated the loopback filesystem just in case.  Unfortunately I ran into the same problems afterward.

So I flashed my poodle back to the 3.5.4.1 RC2 Opie image with the 2.6.17 kernel.  Once again I don't have any problems.  I'm not sure why GPE would give problems but Opie works OK.  The fact that I'm using the same kernel means that it's probably not a driver issue.  Could it be a userspace program that has problems?  No idea.

But I hope to find why GPE locks up.  I wouuld like to move back to it.    

You'd need the initRD as well, do a complete reflash.  Also, GPE is better than OPIE (IMHO) So I'd like to try that out on here as well.

Hopefully the packages will work better on 2.6.17? That's the kernel in 3.5.4.1, right? Where as 3.5.4 is a 2.4.X and we're on 2.6.12. . .  Correctamundo?

Coreduuuump. . .? |looks smiling and happy and hopeful|

I don't suppose you fancy releasing the latest version to us hungry betatesters do you?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135450\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Ferret-Simpson

• View Profile
Best Rom For 5600?
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2006, 05:19:55 am »
Gimme a few days to find somewhere to back up my drive to (Or buy ANOTHER SD card. . .) And I'll give this a try.

Coredump, you're the MAN!

hakujin

• View Profile
Best Rom For 5600?
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2006, 01:32:53 pm »
Would I be mistaken in assuming that this experimental opie (2.6 on poodle) does not contain 80% of the apps of the standard feed like the cardfs FEature list says? I installed it but I have a very limited set of apps compared to what I had on my opie 3.5.4. However speed and stability are insanely good. But my Wifi card and USB networking do not work. Has anyone tried mplayer? That was my major problem with 3.5.4 no decent video. Coredump are you Herr Hentges?
Hentges 2.6 ROM with opie on pxa255 poodle
1GB Kingston SD card
4GB Seagate (photo camera) CF hard drive
SanDisk Connect Plus wifi card
USB cradle to laptop to ethernet bridge to Debian firewall/router/webserver
Wife threatening to leave me if I play around anymore with my Z

koen

• View Profile
    • http://dominion.thruhere.net/koen/cms/
Best Rom For 5600?
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2006, 02:26:21 pm »
Would I be mistaken in assuming that this experimental opie (2.6 on poodle) does not contain 80% of the apps of the standard feed like the cardfs FEature list says? I installed it but I have a very limited set of apps compared to what I had on my opie 3.5.4. However speed and stability are insanely good. But my Wifi card and USB networking do not work. Has anyone tried mplayer? That was my major problem with 3.5.4 no decent video. Coredump are you Herr Hentges?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136769\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Try grabbing the packages you miss from the feeds
Forums are not bugtrackers!!! Smart questions
Ångström release team
iPAQ h2210, iPAQ h5550, iPAQ hx4700, Zaurus SL-C700, Nokia 770, all running some form of GPE
My blog

hakujin

• View Profile
Best Rom For 5600?
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2006, 01:25:11 am »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136769\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Try grabbing the packages you miss from the feeds
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136771\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
There's a problem with that: My wifi card doesn't work with the new ROM neither does my USB connection (my laptop just doesn't see it) so I have no way of accessing the feed from my Z. Downloading single ipks from the feed would be a dependency nightmare. I am not sure what driver my wireless card needs. I tried modprobe hostap but it still doesn't work. It worked fine under 3.5.4 though. Does the cardfs image have all the packages like the Cardfs feature list says or does the feature list not apply to this experimental ROM. I noticed that the cardfs feature list says it only works on sl 5000 and sl 5500.
1GB Kingston SD card

Ferret-Simpson

• View Profile
Best Rom For 5600?
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2006, 08:43:24 am »
Erk. . . That sounds like it could be a problem.

You could always try what I did on my last attempt. . .?

I downloaded the entire packagefeed onto my SD-card. ^^

EDIT:

Just a point in note, I used Konqueror and KGET to make downloading easier. It just took all the links and saved them all to the directory of my choice.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 08:44:19 am by Ferret-Simpson »

fooman

• View Profile
Best Rom For 5600?
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2006, 09:08:20 am »
How did you install all of them?  Did you have to do a "ipkg -d sd install <package filename>" and then "ipkg-link add <package name>" for all of them?

EDIT:

Just a point in note, I used Konqueror and KGET to make downloading easier. It just took all the links and saved them all to the directory of my choice.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136831\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Ferret-Simpson

• View Profile
Best Rom For 5600?
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2006, 02:53:19 pm »
Actually, I just used the GUI. ^^

hakujin

• View Profile
Best Rom For 5600?
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2006, 07:39:22 pm »

EDIT:

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136831\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Ok never mind I am a retard. It turns out that my SD card is a little skizzled and won't let me install the cardfs so I installed it on my CF microdrive and now I have all the apps as promised. However since the cardfs is on my microdrive I can't put in my wifi card and USB networking still isn't working. I am trying to connect it to my WinXP (ducks to avoid a stoning) laptop but the laptop just doesn't see it and the Z doesn't auto setup the connection like it used to with 3.5.4. I guess what I am going to do is buy another SD or MMC card and install to that. Anyone have any suggestions for a nice 1 gig card that is known to work?
1GB Kingston SD card

hvontres

• View Profile
    • http://
Best Rom For 5600?
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2006, 10:00:05 pm »

EDIT:

[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Ok never mind I am a retard. It turns out that my SD card is a little skizzled and won't let me install the cardfs so I installed it on my CF microdrive and now I have all the apps as promised. However since the cardfs is on my microdrive I can't put in my wifi card and USB networking still isn't working. I am trying to connect it to my WinXP (ducks to avoid a stoning) laptop but the laptop just doesn't see it and the Z doesn't auto setup the connection like it used to with 3.5.4. I guess what I am going to do is buy another SD or MMC card and install to that. Anyone have any suggestions for a nice 1 gig card that is known to work?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136904\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

The 2.6 kernel uses the g_ether driver for usb networking now. First, make sure to run
Code: [Select]
modprobe g_ether
ifup usb0
That should bring up your interface on the Z. Note that it is now usb0 and no longer usbd0. Next, follow the instructions on this site to get the windows driver installed:
[a href=\"http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/WindowsXpUsbNetworkHowTo]http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/Win...UsbNetworkHowTo[/url]

you may need to remove the old sharp drivers in order to get internet connection sharing to work. I use this setup to get my Z online when I am at work  (Just don't tell my IT guys.. )
[span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\']Henry von Tresckow[/span]
--------------------------------------
SL-5600, OZ 3.5.4.2 (Hentges), Kernel 2.6.17 :)
1gb Kingston SD (ext2), 5Gb Seagate ST1 (3.03 Fw, fat32)
256 MB Kingston SD (ext2),256MB Viking CF,32MB CF (vfat),
homebuilt GPS unit (Based on RFMD RF 8000)