Author Topic: HELP! C700 does not display anything anymore  (Read 23015 times)

jchung

• View Profile
HELP! C700 does not display anything anymore
« on: February 25, 2004, 09:57:28 am »
Ok, last night I decided to swap out the G2 screen protector. I always carefully unscrew the panel and insert hte screen protector from there, and there have been no problems.

After swaping out the screen protector the C700 doesnt want to start anymore!  :cry:  

I think I killed the display.. but how?? I\'ve done this procedure before without problems...

please help!!  
C700 w/ Cacko 1.21b | 5500 w/ tkcROM
C760 w/ Cacko 1.21b
Lexar 256MB SD | Viking 1GB CF
Netgear MA701 WiFi | Ambicom WL1100C WiFi
Sharp CE-AG06 Camera | PDAir Leather Case | PDAir 3 in 1 stylus | G2 PDA Screen Protector

jchung

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 03:28:30 pm »
I bought this off of ebay from someone that went to japan to get it. Can I send it to sharp to get it fixed? do you think the warranty is still available?
C760 w/ Cacko 1.21b
Sharp CE-AG06 Camera | PDAir Leather Case | PDAir 3 in 1 stylus | G2 PDA Screen Protector

jchung

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 11:20:46 pm »
OK

I looked at it again and it seems like some sort of connection is loose. I can barely see the display but it\'s still there..
C760 w/ Cacko 1.21b

zbones

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 03:15:17 am »
It sounds like the screen is working but you have no backlight.  I have never taken a clamshell apart, and by the sounds of it I don\'t want to.

The obvious things to check are the wires going to/from the light unit.

Do you have a multimeter?

Peter.
Zaurus cl760, cacko QT rom. Zaurus sl5500 with TKCrom 1.0.
512mb Kingston cf card, 256mb Sandisk sd card, Lexar 256mb sd card.
Bluemonkey bluetooth card <-> Sony Ericsson k700i for gprs.
Buffalo WLI-CF-S11G wifi card. Haicom 303 mmf gps cf/seral card.

jchung

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 10:15:53 am »
I could get my hands on one..  

what should I be looking for?
C760 w/ Cacko 1.21b

zbones

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2004, 04:26:08 am »
Not really sure, as I don\'t want to dimantle mine to test a working one.

A simple continuity test to check that there is a connection through the wire to the backlight would be helpfull.

Unless it\'s been subjected to shock, I think it\'s unlikely that the light has gone, it\'s more likely that the wires have come loose, this could be :-

1) dry joint,
2) wire detached (should be obvious),
3) wire broken inside the insulation.

You could also check the resistance of the backlight itself to see if it is \"open circuit\".

If it can be powered on with the backligh exposed you could check vor a voltage across the backlight to see if the z is supplying a voltage to it.

I am not an trained in eltronic repairs, but I have fixed several devices using the above method.

The other common problems with things not working after they have been dismantled is trapping a wire in the case, putting a screw through a wire, some have mini switches that need to be closed when the case is closed.

Somebody who has dismantled one wil have more of an idea as to what check for.

Peter

jchung

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2004, 11:52:07 am »
I didnt get a multimeter but I did open it back up. I checked all the wires and they look solid.  The unit will turn on if the cover and screw are not on..

there is this one part that I\'m a little concerned about. One of the screw threading got stripped so the screw doesnt really hold tight. There is a small PCB board with solder dots aligned in a ring around the screw hole. This looks like it\'s supposed to contact with a metal piece of the swivel screen. The solder on this is kinda worn out. Would this affect anything?

I\'m gonna buy a product called plastex that is supposed to fix threading on plastic products. Hopefully that will work on this stripped thread problem.  Should I try to re-solder those dots??

Thanks
C760 w/ Cacko 1.21b

zbones

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2004, 07:22:04 pm »
there is this one part that I\'m a little concerned about. One of the screw threading got stripped so the screw doesnt really hold tight. There is a small PCB board with solder dots aligned in a ring around the screw hole. This looks like it\'s supposed to contact with a metal piece of the swivel screen. The solder on this is kinda worn out. Would this affect anything?  

If it turns on when it\'s dismantled, then it can\'t be relying on a ground from a screw as an anti tamper mechanism, as it wouldnt work when it\'s in bits when the contact is disconnected.
At least you know there is no major problem as all the bits work. It still could be a dry joint/broken wire that works when it\'s in some postions but not others.

Or it could be that when the screws are in place it is shorting out something that shouldn\'t be.

Without knowing what should be connected (if anything) when the case is closed it is hard to say.  I would tend to favor a dodgy wire based on what you have said.  

Case point:  My mouse worked sometimes but not others.  I found it would work if I bent the wire in a certain way while using it.  The copper inside the insulation had broken and bending the wire made it connect.

Solution: cut the wire 2 inches from the mouse, and reconect the wires.  This resulted with a shorter cable, and a fully working mouse.  This was on an Ataris st, when a new mouse cost over £30 ($40 us).

You don\'t really want to keep taking it to bits as this will probably only make things worse, but if it is still in bits, try and bend the wires into the same position it would be when fully assembled, or waggle the wires one at a time (gently). if the screen goes off you have found your culprit and will need to replace that wire.

What\'s your soldering like? Replacing a wire is fairly simple, but if you are not used to soldering then you could end up making things worse either by bridging across two components, or \"cooking\" the joints and damaging the board or other components.  

You may find that if you put it back together it will work fine. Once it\'s all screwed in place things aren\'t gong to move anymore.

I would offer to help, but I doubt you are local to me.

Peter.

jchung

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2004, 09:43:52 am »
I have no idea what I can do w/ my C700 now..  I still dont know what\'s causing the problem..

I dont know of any places that sell spare parts otherwise I could buy replacement parts if necessary..

:cry:
C760 w/ Cacko 1.21b

zbones

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2004, 04:20:55 pm »
Do you have a local friendly repair shop?

If it is only the baklight that is screwed it may be a simple repair.

The main problems with repairing modern electronic devices is getting hold of custom ic\'s and manuals.

If the backlight has gone south, then they may be able to substitute it with a simillar unit.

My local friendly repair shop does not charge if they cannot fix something within a reasonable cost, if they can fix it it is a minimum of £25 (about  $40)

From what I have read, the sharp repair service is pretty good, but will not ship to/from places outside of Japan.

Sharp USA will not get involved or offer to help you, fortunately faults on these units seem to be very few and far between.

If all else fails, you may get a reasonable offer on ebay from somebody who has toasted the cpu but has a working backlight.

Again, this is a rare problem so advice will be hard to find.

Peter

daffy2405

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2004, 05:21:14 am »
I have no idea what I can do w/ my C700 now..  I still dont know what's causing the problem..

I dont know of any places that sell spare parts otherwise I could buy replacement parts if necessary..

hello, (I'm french,sorry for my very bad english   )

I have a same problem with my zaurus(SL-C860). I  unscrew the panel , and there have been no problems.the display work,but no backlight !!

jchung>Your Zaurus it is repaired ?

Thanks,
daf
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 08:39:24 am by daffy2405 »

sebastien79

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2005, 05:15:04 am »
I have no idea what I can do w/ my C700 now..  I still dont know what's causing the problem..

hello, (I'm french,sorry for my very bad english   )

I have a same problem with my zaurus(SL-C860). I  unscrew the panel , and there have been no problems.the display work,but no backlight !!

jchung>Your Zaurus it is repaired ?

Thanks,
daf
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=35597\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Hello, (my old name is daffy2405,my new sebastien79)

I finally repaired (after 6 month !!)my zaurus.The problem came from one defect component (self or fuser ?)
My english is not good thus I will not explain more.
I put a picture.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Sebastien79    (thanks Gilles)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 06:43:52 am by sebastien79 »

Nightwing

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2005, 09:45:22 pm »

I finally repaired (after 6 month !!)my zaurus.The problem came from one defect component (self or fuser ?)
I put a picture.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Sebastien79    (thanks Gilles)
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68740\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Hi, just wanted to express my thanks. I had to take the display on my 760 apart to get the old screen protector off (installed by the vendor). Once I was done, I had the same problem -- no more backlight.    After I saw your post, I tried connecting the two points with a screwdriver and the light was back. Long story short, my 760 now has a jumper in the display.

Many thanks for sharing your fix and picture! You helped get me back on my Zaurus and the price was definately right!    

All the best,
    alan

sebastien79

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2005, 08:22:25 am »

I put a picture.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Sebastien79    (thanks Gilles)
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68740\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Hi, just wanted to express my thanks. I had to take the display on my 760 apart to get the old screen protector off (installed by the vendor). Once I was done, I had the same problem -- no more backlight.    After I saw your post, I tried connecting the two points with a screwdriver and the light was back. Long story short, my 760 now has a jumper in the display.

Many thanks for sharing your fix and picture! You helped get me back on my Zaurus and the price was definately right!    

All the best,
    alan
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87334\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Thank you very much!    

My repaired zaurus always functions very well since February ! No problem with backlight !  

it is a pleasure of seeing your zaurus repaired!

Thanks,
Seb
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 08:26:43 am by sebastien79 »

jchung

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2005, 08:46:53 am »
Wow.. i'm glad someone found a fix to this! I havent check this thread in so long.

I'm going to try this fix this weekend to see if it works! Thanks!
C760 w/ Cacko 1.21b