Author Topic: Which Ipaq Is Right For My Project  (Read 10399 times)

nevarrie

• View Profile
    • http://www.thegrantclan.org
Which Ipaq Is Right For My Project
« on: June 06, 2006, 12:45:31 am »
I am looking at buying an IPAQ to install Familiar(or a custom image built with openembedded) to uses as a wireless network mp3 player to mount to the walls of my sons rooms that I could ssh into.  

From using OpenZaurus on my sl6000 I believe this to be possable to do from a software point of view.  

I plan to have the ipaq ran off of an AC power adapter all the time and will be hooked into powered wall mountd pc speakers.  So far I have been looking at the h3600 series since I am finding I should be able to pick one up off of ebay for under $100(most likely under $50).  I play to nfs mount my mp3 shares over my wifi network.  In the future I may want it to do more such as read email or have messages left for the person.  Right now my sons are 2.5 and 10 months so music is all they need.

Here are my questions:

1.  Will an IPAQ work well if it is running 24 hours a day?
2.  Is the h3600 series going to work to have familiar install into the internal flash so if the ipaq is rebooted it will come back up tot he linux side without a problem?
3.  How hard is it to uses a wifi cf card with the h3600 series?
4.  Will if be a problem to the the screen displaying the time and date ins a moving screen saver all the time.

My goal is to a have basic termial the is mainly for music for under $100 a peice that way I can have 3 or 4 of these around the houses in different rooms.  I see the touch screens are being the best input device for small children since I can uses icons to access everything and possable even uses flite to have the output read to them if it is doing something other them play mp3s.  Hopefully my start at creating my own "Young Gentleman's Illustrated Primer".
Jeremy "Nevarrie" Grant
SL-6000L
OpenZaurus 3.5.4.1 GPE(2.6 kernel)|GrantRom 0.01(e-image clone)
Targus IR Keyborad

Mjolinor

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 02:32:29 am »
You don't want a 36XX you want at least a 38XX. There isn't really enough memory in the 36XX series and it has no internal expansion slots.

Wifi is not easy as you will need a PCMCIA jacket for the 36, 38 and 39 series. There is a SD card slot in both the 38 and 39 but I don't know if it will support SD wifi or not.

The 3870 and 3970 both have bluetooth if this is something you may use otherwise go for a 3850 or 3950. The 39 series do tend to be significantly more money than the 38 series but for what you want there will be no difference except that the 38XX is better supported with Linux.

There is a documented problem with some 38XX in that the backlight doesn't always work when on battery. This tends not to show itself with Windo$e on but can be a problem in Linux. The HP website has the serial numbers of the faulty batch and if you have one of the faulty ones they will sort it free but I don't think their list is comprehensive and I have seen several with the fault that are not covered by HP. I also think this fault goes deeper than just the backlight as the 38XX series can sometimes lock when removed from charge.

It will run fine 24/7 and if you are always having it powered then you can buy one with a faulty battery, that makes them very cheap. If it is always powered you wil not see the backlight problem.

SSH works fine on both the 38 and 39.

You shouldn't be paying any more than about $70 for a 38XX series needing a battery, the 39XX in the same state will cost you more than $100.

Is a 5500 not a better, cheaper choice?

If you were in the UK I could sell you mine

BarryW

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 02:47:17 am »
If you need a pc card sleeve I have an extra one.  It was a demo unit I bought off e-bay a few years ago.  The last time I used it, it worked fine.  The battery might not keep a good charge now though, but you are going to keep it plugged in all the time anyway.
What's this button do??

C3100
Distro changes almost weekly...

C3200
Distro also changes almost weekly...  :)

Hardware hacks and stuff.

nevarrie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 10:02:18 am »
You don't want a 36XX you want at least a 38XX. There isn't really enough memory in the 36XX series and it has no internal expansion slots.

Since I plan to nfs mount most things to the ipaq I figured internal memory would not be that big of a problem as long as I could have base install of linux with a few apps I will be happy.

Wifi is not easy as you will need a PCMCIA jacket for the 36, 38 and 39 series. There is a SD card slot in both the 38 and 39 but I don't know if it will support SD wifi or not.

I had planed I would need a jacket for to be able to use wifi.  Does the jackets work well with linux or should I be trying to buy one with internal WIFI?

There is a documented problem with some 38XX in that the backlight doesn't always work when on battery. This tends not to show itself with Windo$e on but can be a problem in Linux. The HP website has the serial numbers of the faulty batch and if you have one of the faulty ones they will sort it free but I don't think their list is comprehensive and I have seen several with the fault that are not covered by HP. I also think this fault goes deeper than just the backlight as the 38XX series can sometimes lock when removed from charge.

As I do nto plan to uses the battery unless there is a loss of power I am not to worried about this.  But thanks for the information it maybe useful to know this when looking.

Is a 5500 not a better, cheaper choice?

The main reason for looking at IPAQ at this point is avaliblity of parts.  I have seen a few 5500 there are in my price range so they are an option.   My biggest worry with the 5500 is gettign replacement parts if needed.  I have a heck of a time finding things for my sl-6000 and it is newer then a 5500.
Jeremy "Nevarrie" Grant
SL-6000L
Targus IR Keyborad

Mjolinor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 10:44:55 am »
The 5500 has been sold in huge numbers, there is no shortage of bits. The 6000 is hard to find anything for.

The 36XX doesn't have enough memory for a base install. IIRC you have to take the image off the net, remove loads of it, make it back into an image then put it on the 36XX.

The PCMCIA jacket works fine with Linux. No problems installing or configuring it.

If you are stuck on an Ipaq then you really need a 3870 or 3850, no BT or BT

jfv

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 10:53:18 am »
I have an iPAQ 36XX and it came with a CF expansion sleeve. Familiar installs fine but it completely fills the flash, so you can't install anything else. Wifi works but is a little fiddly to set up. The internal speaker on the iPAQ is surprisingly good, you may not need to add external speakers if all you're playing is children's songs. The battery on mine is completely dead, so it only runs off external power.

Felipe
SL 5000 D  and C860 Sharp ROM
Too many accessories...

Ferret-Simpson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 06:21:31 pm »
How much are you looking to let the 5500 go for Mjol?

Got a friend who's in the market for one.

(Poodle Love!!!!! XP)
Cortana: PXA250/Poodle: OZ/GPE 3.4.2RC1
Tycho PXA270/HTC_Universal WM5  .30.107/1.09.00/42.42.P8/1.30.162
HollyWatch: Fossil AU5005 - POS 4.1.2
ATLANTIS: Fujitsu Lifebook T4210 TBPC2005

Tosh256CF, Adlink CF 802.11B, 512KingSD, 128VikSD, CFChiMeiG1GPRS

Mjolinor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 02:52:29 am »
How much are you looking to let the 5500 go for Mjol?

Got a friend who's in the market for one.

(Poodle Love!!!!! XP)
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131417\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

That confused me until I read my post. I don't have a 5500, I had a 3870 but I gave it away while I was in Greece last week.

nevarrie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 02:23:01 pm »
As an update.

I now own a IPAQ H3670.  I know it has a small flash(16mb).  I can now see why people did not recommend it, though since I am willing to create an image for it it has plenty of space for what I need at this time(Wireless MP3/OGG/Flac player).

I am currently looking for a PC Card to uses with this IPAQ.  I have been looking at getting the Linksys WPC11 since I can get it for about 15 dollars.  Is this a reliable card that works the the IPAQ?

I will post more as I get further along.
Jeremy "Nevarrie" Grant
SL-6000L
Targus IR Keyborad

Mjolinor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 02:27:59 pm »
That linksys is the one I used in my Ipaq and it was fine.