Author Topic: Typing To Zaurus Using The Mac Keyboard  (Read 12537 times)

lpetroni

• View Profile
Typing To Zaurus Using The Mac Keyboard
« on: September 15, 2006, 09:51:03 am »
Is it possible? Is there any way to configure both Mac/Zaurus so that I can type to Z using my powerbook's keyboard?

I'm rstill unning 10.3.9 but will be update to 10.4 soon.
Using AJZaurusUSB to connect to Z over smb.

Thanks!
Zaurus SL-5500
Cacko/CrowROM (64/0)

PQI 4GB CF
Lexar 128MB SD
Sandisk 256MB CF
Trellis WiFi CF

jfv

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 09:56:30 am »
You should be able to ssh into the Zaurus from the Mac terminal.

Felipe
SL 5000 D  and C860 Sharp ROM
Too many accessories...

lpetroni

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 10:29:43 am »
You should be able to ssh into the Zaurus from the Mac terminal.

Felipe
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141481\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Hi Felipe,

Thanks for the reply! Sorry for my complete lack of technnical background but I only know what Mac Terminal and Z are. I don't even know what ssh means  

What I would like to know is to type in diferent applications (hancom word, portabase,  tkc or kde pim applications, etc...).

I will have to issue some commands thru terminal using ssh to connect to Zaurus and open a path to use my powerbook's keyboard to type, right?

Can you give some brief guidelines instructing me how to make a simple test to check your suggestion?

I'm searching the forum about information on SSH but if you can point me to places where I can read about this subject and how to use SSH to connect my Mac to Zaurus I will appreciate it.

Cheers from Brazil.
Zaurus SL-5500
Cacko/CrowROM (64/0)

PQI 4GB CF
Lexar 128MB SD
Sandisk 256MB CF
Trellis WiFi CF

jfv

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 11:40:21 am »
Well, this has nothing to do with the Zaurus or the Mac. ssh is a standard unix program. But it won't help you enter data on applications, only command line stuff (for the experts: ssh -X, yes I know). You can use something called VNC to do what you want but I never did this on a Zaurus or a Mac, but maybe there is info on the forum.

Anyway, to use ssh. I assume your Zaurus and your Mac are connected. Open a terminal on the Zaurus, become root and type "sshd" and return. Now on the Mac, open a terminal, type "ssh zaurus@<ip-of-the-zaurus>" and return. Then you type your password and off you go. Replace <ip-of-the-zaurus> by the ip address the Zaurus has.

There is tons of information about ssh on the web but it may not be what you want.

Um abraco

Felipe

p.s. Maybe ssh is not installed by default on the Zaurus but you can find the ipk on ELSI. It certainly is installed on the Mac.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 11:42:07 am by jfv »
SL 5000 D  and C860 Sharp ROM
Too many accessories...

bluedevils

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 11:52:18 am »
actually if you want to type into applications (especially non X one like hancomsheet) you probably want to use vnc.  It is a remote desktop app that is ported to the Z and mac (as well as linux, windows....).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 11:52:35 am by bluedevils »
I'm now an iphone user and use my zaurii as serial terminals, perl and shell scripting and when I need 640x480 screens

sl-c3100/pda cacko 1.23 | sl-6000l/needs battery | sl-c760/server pdaxrom rc12 | Former sl-5500/tkcrom owner (sister's birthday gift)

lpetroni

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 12:27:31 pm »
Well, this has nothing to do with the Zaurus or the Mac. ssh is a standard unix program. But it won't help you enter data on applications, only command line stuff (for the experts: ssh -X, yes I know). You can use something called VNC to do what you want but I never did this on a Zaurus or a Mac, but maybe there is info on the forum.

Anyway, to use ssh. I assume your Zaurus and your Mac are connected. Open a terminal on the Zaurus, become root and type "sshd" and return. Now on the Mac, open a terminal, type "ssh zaurus@<ip-of-the-zaurus>" and return. Then you type your password and off you go. Replace <ip-of-the-zaurus> by the ip address the Zaurus has.

There is tons of information about ssh on the web but it may not be what you want.

Um abraco

Felipe

p.s. Maybe ssh is not installed by default on the Zaurus but you can find the ipk on ELSI. It certainly is installed on the Mac.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141488\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Thanks Felipe! I will try the VNC thing.
I've played with it in the past with my Newton 2100.

Obrigado!
Zaurus SL-5500
Cacko/CrowROM (64/0)

PQI 4GB CF
Lexar 128MB SD
Sandisk 256MB CF
Trellis WiFi CF

desertrat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 12:28:29 pm »
synergy (http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/) is an excellent solution if there is a package for your Z.
SL-C3100 / Ambicon WL1100C-CF / pdaXrom 1.1.0beta3 / IceWM

lpetroni

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 12:33:19 pm »
actually if you want to type into applications (especially non X one like hancomsheet) you probably want to use vnc.  It is a remote desktop app that is ported to the Z and mac (as well as linux, windows....).
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141489\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Thanks bluedevils!
Cool nick!...Hey maybe  I'll borrow it as the name for my rock band here in Brazil, may I?    

I will try the VNC thing.

What is the best VNC ipk for the SharpROM?
Are there many options?

I've found some posts here that I will read carefully but can you point me to any VNC Zaurus guide you know?

Cheers from Brazil!
Zaurus SL-5500
Cacko/CrowROM (64/0)

PQI 4GB CF
Lexar 128MB SD
Sandisk 256MB CF
Trellis WiFi CF

lpetroni

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 12:37:44 pm »
synergy (http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/) is an excellent solution if there is a package for your Z.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141496\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Wow, this seems very interesting (if this app really does what it claims and have a binary available to Z). Although the page says that the MacOS X port is incomplete I'll study it more and give it a try.

Thanks!
Zaurus SL-5500
Cacko/CrowROM (64/0)

PQI 4GB CF
Lexar 128MB SD
Sandisk 256MB CF
Trellis WiFi CF

bluedevils

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 02:05:41 pm »
bluedevils is a team out of duke university, but it is also a hockey team I used to play with in Vancouver.

keypebble is probably what you want on the zaurus.  There should be plenty of posts on it.

osxvnc works on the mac.
I'm now an iphone user and use my zaurii as serial terminals, perl and shell scripting and when I need 640x480 screens

sl-c3100/pda cacko 1.23 | sl-6000l/needs battery | sl-c760/server pdaxrom rc12 | Former sl-5500/tkcrom owner (sister's birthday gift)

lpetroni

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 08:24:11 pm »
Just to post my results:

On the Z side:
Downloaded and installed VNC Server
http://www.sdgsystems.com/index.php?option...id=32&Itemid=49

On the Mac Side:
Downloaded and installed Chicken of the VNC
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cotvnc/

Follow the instructions found here:
http://zaurus.kruss.com/software_sharp.php#3

Worked perfectly!
I can now type and point in my SL5500 using my powerbook's keyboard & mouse.

Thank you for all the tips!
Zaurus SL-5500
Cacko/CrowROM (64/0)

PQI 4GB CF
Lexar 128MB SD
Sandisk 256MB CF
Trellis WiFi CF