Author Topic: 1.1.0r121 Is Out!  (Read 53529 times)

newkirk

• View Profile
    • http://myzaur.us
1.1.0r121 Is Out!
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2006, 09:39:04 am »
Just in case someone wants to try on a C860 and can't get this working, you are welcome to try the NAND backup I just made after installing and booting.  I told it to recalibrate touchscreen after restart, shut down, and backed up, so it should boot fine and require calibration if you restore this NAND backup on a C860.  http://myzaur.us/pdaxr121c860bak.tar.gz

j
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142733\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Tried your NAND backup, but it wouldn't flash for me  got some kind of format error?

Kelly
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143014\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Unfortunately it seems, from my previous experiences and reading around here, that NAND backups of the more recent pdaXroms (at least on x60 Zauri) are unusable.  My apologies, I didn't actually try to restore the backup myself.

j
newkirk @ myzaur.us
pdaxrom @ newkirk.us
SL-5600, SL-C860
Socket & Ambicom WiFis
Billionton bluetooth
Lexar 256mb CF & SD

newkirk

• View Profile
1.1.0r121 Is Out!
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2006, 09:51:24 am »
Here's my observations so far on my C860 for r121:

'up arrow' still broken in MC (strangely, it effects combined 'block on' and up within mc editor) as well as ctrl and alt.

xterm unable to open font '-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso10646-1'

After look'n'feel changes desktop doesn't restart

taskbar skinning and size changes are ignored

ctrl-alt-backspace mapping to kill xserver fails

After dropping from X, console is mangled in random ways

Before entering X, console works perfectly, including up-arrow in mc

power button works from console

backlight flashing as power drains.  It seems to hit thresholds where it reduces backlight to save battery, then brightens 1/4 second later when it decides the battery has more to give.  Usually flashes for 5-10 seconds

Socket WiFi useless  "cannot find firmware: symbol_sp24t_prim_fw"

Ambicom WiFi useless

BT fails - "can't get DUN info"

Backlight stays on when clamshell closed

Menus flow off bottom of screen

A battery (any of three I've tried, two bl06 and one bl08) that the charger considers fully charged (if reinserted after sitting for 30 minutes the charger still considers it full, and stops charging right away)  registers as 75% - 83% via apm and battery applet. 5-10 minutes later with no CF card inserted and backlight less than full on and APM tells me the battery is already down to 50% range.

I'll post these points on the bugtracker at pdaxrom.org when I get a chance.

j
newkirk @ myzaur.us
pdaxrom @ newkirk.us
SL-5600, SL-C860
Socket & Ambicom WiFis
Billionton bluetooth
Lexar 256mb CF & SD

newkirk

• View Profile
1.1.0r121 Is Out!
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2006, 10:43:28 am »
More notes:

iptables is broken.  Seems that ip_tables is neither compiled into kernel NOR included as a module.  (although supporting netfilter modules are present, like ip_conntrack connection tracking - yes I've install iptables and iproute2 ipks - like 'mc', I can't live without those tools - they've allowed me to use my Z as a wireless router in the past, when my DSL was down and I routed my home network through the Z and out my cell via IRDA)

'hcitool dev' finds no devices with my billionton bluetooth.  If I dig about I find dmesg reporting it at ttyS0 when inserted.  /etc/bluetooth/bt-uart.conf has an entry  "Compact Flash", "Bluetooth Card","","":/dev/ttyS3 bcsp:/dev/ttyS3 baud_base 921600 that almost matches.  When I change that entry to ttyS0 both places, however, it still fails to recognize the card.

Pointer is very 'jittery' - for example trying to tap the 'X' to close xmms and even with the stylus perfectly centered in the X, and the cursor ALSO perfectly centered in the X, it's hit or miss whether it actually clicks the X or tries to drag the window or hits the rollup widget.    This jitteriness is the likely cause of the problem where tapping on ANY button regardless of size will often NOT actually click the button - the UI seems to consider it a mouse movement instead of a button click.

Ctrl and Alt are broken everywhere, not just MC.  Alt-Tab does nothing except 'tab' if the focused window allows 'tab'.  Ctrl displays "0~" on a console, while Alt displays "1~".

When first starting X, the X server fires up in landscape mode (matching current screen orientation), but before actually doing anything except display grey startup background and cursor 'X', it changes to portrait mode.  Then it starts the taskbar, populates it, THEN returns to Landscape.

Display DOES shut off /sometimes/ when I close clamshell.  I've not figured out any pattern yet to identify why it fails sometimes.

My bl08 battery has been in my C860 for about 45 minutes uptime right now.  Fully charged when inserted, apm reported it as 75%.  After 30 minutes, it's STILL reporting it at 75%.  At 45 minutes it's registering 83%?!? with no change in usage or devices.  Something is definitely wonky in apmland.

'del' doesn't work - fn+bs just inserts a tilde.  (Related to this, it would be really REALLY  helpful if we could define the FN+ key combos as well - for instance, I have NEVER used fn+1 through fn+0, but several times a day I wish I had function keys.  I'd be thrilled if I could map 'FN+1' to send 'F1' keypresses, etc.

j
newkirk @ myzaur.us
pdaxrom @ newkirk.us
SL-5600, SL-C860
Socket & Ambicom WiFis
Billionton bluetooth
Lexar 256mb CF & SD

wowo123

• View Profile
    • http://
1.1.0r121 Is Out!
« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2006, 11:37:51 am »
I went back to the stable beta3. For me this is the most serious problem: There is no working NAND-backup function with this version (with all uboot versions?? I don't know). You can Nand backup but the NAND restore fails.   So any major problem you run into during tuning the system leads to startup from the beginning or at least to very time consuming step by step backups and new installs.
I really hope the following versions will allow NAND backups again.

kellyharding

• View Profile
    • http://www.geekgothgrrl.co.uk
1.1.0r121 Is Out!
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2006, 10:56:09 pm »
Socket WiFi useless  "cannot find firmware: symbol_sp24t_prim_fw"

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143050\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

For me this is enough for me to consider leaving this release for now, need wifi working (I've a Socket LP Wifi CF Card) amongst other things.

Kelly
SL-C860: cacko 1.23(currently pdaxii3 to test)
1Gb SD, 2Gb CF, various 512Mb SD and CF cards, Socket LP wifi, Socket Rev F Bluetooth. 2Gb SD and 4Gb CF on order.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
PC: Athlon64 3000+ with XP/SimplyMepis
Mac: G4 Quicksilver 733 with OS X.4.9
Laptop: iBook G4 (2005) 1.42Ghz, OS X 4.9
Server: Dual PIII/500 with Debian 'etch'

kellyharding

• View Profile
1.1.0r121 Is Out!
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2006, 10:57:14 pm »
Unfortunately it seems, from my previous experiences and reading around here, that NAND backups of the more recent pdaXroms (at least on x60 Zauri) are unusable.  My apologies, I didn't actually try to restore the backup myself.

j
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143049\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Thanks for trying though, was worth the effort to see if an easier way to get this new release working without the hassles of uboot install, etc.

Kelly
1Gb SD, 2Gb CF, various 512Mb SD and CF cards, Socket LP wifi, Socket Rev F Bluetooth. 2Gb SD and 4Gb CF on order.

kellyharding

• View Profile
1.1.0r121 Is Out!
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2006, 10:58:13 pm »
I went back to the stable beta3. For me this is the most serious problem: There is no working NAND-backup function with this version (with all uboot versions?? I don't know). You can Nand backup but the NAND restore fails.   So any major problem you run into during tuning the system leads to startup from the beginning or at least to very time consuming step by step backups and new installs.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143060\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Maybe someone can come up with some backup and restore scripts to back up config files, etc so you don't have to start over quite so much? shouldn't be too hard to adapt something from another Linux distro perhaps?

Kelly

uMP2k

• View Profile
1.1.0r121 Is Out!
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2006, 11:21:44 pm »
I went back to the stable beta3. For me this is the most serious problem: There is no working NAND-backup function with this version (with all uboot versions?? I don't know). You can Nand backup but the NAND restore fails.   So any major problem you run into during tuning the system leads to startup from the beginning or at least to very time consuming step by step backups and new installs.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143060\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Maybe someone can come up with some backup and restore scripts to back up config files, etc so you don't have to start over quite so much? shouldn't be too hard to adapt something from another Linux distro perhaps?

Kelly
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143150\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I have pretty much got Beta3 running how I want it, but I just cannot stop the itch of wanting to try out 1.1.0r121.

The two main things stopping me are what seems to be a very complicated install process compared with the older betas and the lack of working NAND backup.

I am wondering if there are any screenshots of the new release or any list of the features as compared to beta3?
My new toy: C1000/pdaXrom/xfce4 and Rox - now I just have to get it all working!.

Other stuff: Axim x50v and a brace of Newtons....!

InSearchOf

• Administrator
    • View Profile
1.1.0r121 Is Out!
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2006, 05:07:16 am »

Scroll back a few pages... I put the steps to get this card working...

Late
Sharp Zaurus SL-C3100 and SL-6000L
pdaXrom Developer
Please visit pdaXrom.org for updates
My Blog
IRC #pdaxrom @ FreeNode

kellyharding

• View Profile
1.1.0r121 Is Out!
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2006, 03:23:49 pm »

Scroll back a few pages... I put the steps to get this card working...

Late
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143169\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Thanks Late, didn't spot that earlier. I will give it a try possibly later on, and see how I get on with it.

Kelly

kellyharding

• View Profile
1.1.0r121 Is Out!
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2006, 10:33:14 pm »
Here's what worked out with my C860:

Put uboot files on cf.  remove power and battery, replace both.  Hold down 'ok' while booting, and it installs uboot.  It says it's rebooting, and fails to do so.

The unit will now no longer turn on, power on with 'ok' pressed etc dead, plug in power and power light stays off.

Put 121 ROM files on CF and slot in.  Remove power and battery.  Hold down 'OK' and plug in power, KEEP 'OK' held down for 12 seconds, and emergency rom fires up, offers to 'install or boot emergency - y/n' (this should either NOT be 'y/n' or question should be reworded).  Press 'y' and it installs 121 ROM successfully.  When it reboots, pull power cord, reinstert battery.

Normal power-on now boots 121 ROM.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142733\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Just tried to follow this to get it to install.

U-boot/emergency seems to install fine.

I put then the 121 ROM files onto the CF card, and boot it up, it doesn't give me the 'install or boot emergency - y/n', just a sh prompt.

If I boot it up with the CF card plugged in, when its got to that point, if I then try to acess the CF card, the 860 locks up.

If I boot it up without the CF card plugged in, then I get dropped again tot he prompt,  but it doesn't lock if I then try to access the CF card.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Kelly

newkirk

• View Profile
1.1.0r121 Is Out!
« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2006, 08:45:51 am »
Here's what worked out with my C860:

Put uboot files on cf.  remove power and battery, replace both.  Hold down 'ok' while booting, and it installs uboot.  It says it's rebooting, and fails to do so.

The unit will now no longer turn on, power on with 'ok' pressed etc dead, plug in power and power light stays off.

Put 121 ROM files on CF and slot in.  Remove power and battery.  Hold down 'OK' and plug in power, KEEP 'OK' held down for 12 seconds, and emergency rom fires up, offers to 'install or boot emergency - y/n' (this should either NOT be 'y/n' or question should be reworded).  Press 'y' and it installs 121 ROM successfully.  When it reboots, pull power cord, reinstert battery.

Normal power-on now boots 121 ROM.

Just tried to follow this to get it to install.

U-boot/emergency seems to install fine.

I put then the 121 ROM files onto the CF card, and boot it up, it doesn't give me the 'install or boot emergency - y/n', just a sh prompt.

If I boot it up with the CF card plugged in, when its got to that point, if I then try to acess the CF card, the 860 locks up.

If I boot it up without the CF card plugged in, then I get dropped again tot he prompt,  but it doesn't lock if I then try to access the CF card.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Kelly
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143290\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I had a similar problem when I tried the previous beta - uboot install had a problem and wasn't able to use CF.  I was able to install from SD however, by putting the 121 ROM files on my 256mb SD and firing up uboot.  It won't give you the 'install or boot' prompt unless it finds the required files on CF or SD for installing the ROM, so the lack of that message is just a symptom of the CF problem.

If you have a suitably large SD then try that approach.  Otherwise try downloading and unzipping the uboot package again and reinstall it.  You might also try reformatting the CF card - doing so found an error on one of my cards and mapped around it - that error probably caused my CF install problems.

j
newkirk @ myzaur.us
pdaxrom @ newkirk.us
SL-5600, SL-C860
Socket & Ambicom WiFis
Billionton bluetooth
Lexar 256mb CF & SD

kellyharding

• View Profile
1.1.0r121 Is Out!
« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2006, 06:49:50 pm »
Quote from: newkirk,Oct 6 2006, 01:45 PM
I had a similar problem when I tried the previous beta - uboot install had a problem and wasn't able to use CF.  I was able to install from SD however, by putting the 121 ROM files on my 256mb SD and firing up uboot.  It won't give you the 'install or boot' prompt unless it finds the required files on CF or SD for installing the ROM, so the lack of that message is just a symptom of the CF problem.

If you have a suitably large SD then try that approach.  Otherwise try downloading and unzipping the uboot package again and reinstall it.  You might also try reformatting the CF card - doing so found an error on one of my cards and mapped around it - that error probably caused my CF install problems.

j
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143313\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
[/quote]

I do have a SD card I can use. I'll give it a try over the weekend and see how it goes.

Thanks,

Kelly

vilefridge

• View Profile
1.1.0r121 Is Out!
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2006, 01:59:35 am »
excellent work!  I've noticed a few bugs (using C750):

- no cardctl for switching wifi schemes
- no audio!
- menu button does not work, have to use stylus
- some menu pixels are displayed "off screen"
- everything displayed on screen is "ghosted"

These all present in beta4 as well as r121, but were not present in beta2.  (never got around to trying beta3)
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142019\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
1- Yaeh it is because new Kernel and using udev now
2- Audio is working for me!
3- OK it can be patched
4- Here it is OK!

my Z is a SL-C3100

1. Udev?  Is there a way to get wifi & switching between networks working then, with the current beta?
2. You're lucky!  I miss my audio so much.  Anyone else experiencing this? C750
3,4,5. I can expect this in a future release?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142148\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Try go to SHELL and load alsamixer , look for MUTED audio channels and unmute it... do it while playing somethink with mplayer....
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142175\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Hi,

I already knew about alsamixer, it is the same "problem" as in Beta4. But here I noticed something else: When I was using Beta4 I didn't have to change the settings of mplayer. Here mplayer said "Can't open eSound Output Plugin". I changed it to "ALSA 1.2.10 output plugin" and after unmuting the audio channel it works fine now.

Audio is essential for me, I don't want to carry around an MP3-player while I have my Z with me anyway.  
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142220\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Thanks so much, my audio is working again.  I must note that I couldn't run alsamixer from rxvt.  I had to run xterm, and all the text is garbled as hell.  I figured it out though..

Still very annoyed not having wifi.  Is there something I'm missing here?  There's no cardctl, no way to use a profile.  If I create a profile and save it, it isn't actually saved or used...

Another thing that drives me crazy, is how there's ghosting and flickering that I never experienced in releases previous to beta 4 and r121.  I went through the COM & LCD configuration, adjusted values.. but it's still ghosted/flickering.

Also noticing that there's extremely high CPU utilization.  If I play music, and try to even open a terminal, the unit is sloooooow and the music will skip a couple times.  Again, didn't experience this in previous releases..

I'm really sorry I upgraded from beta2.

webslngr

• View Profile
1.1.0r121 Is Out!
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2006, 11:21:45 am »
Still very annoyed not having wifi.  Is there something I'm missing here?  There's no cardctl, no way to use a profile.  If I create a profile and save it, it isn't actually saved or used...
[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I use the scripts provided by anunakin found [a href=\"http://www.pdaxrom.org/node/121]Here[/url]. They need editied and then to switch "profiles", I just run a different script. I found it to be much qucker than the old cardctl scheme mechanism.

Hope this helps.

--webslngr
c3100 running pdaXrom b3, ambicom wl1100, a 2nd 4 GB Hitachi microdrive (and various other tools and gadgets)