Author Topic: Supported Usb Lan Dongle  (Read 29926 times)

Jon_J

• View Profile
    • http://
Supported Usb Lan Dongle
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2007, 04:13:30 pm »
I got a USB to LAN adapter from Radio Shack today.
It is a Belkin F5D5050 USB 1.1 10/100 Ethernet Adapter.
It uses the pegasus driver.
I connected it to an ethernet port on my Linksys WRT54G router.
I had some difficulty at first getting it to connect, using the LAN and Wifi applet.
Then I rebooted and used the LAN and Wifi applet again, and set it to:

Obtain TCP/IP automatically (DHCP)
Auto-detect DNS

It connected and I checked with ifconfig.
I now have these 3 numbers:
inet addr: 192.168.1.102
Bcast 192.168.1.255
Mask: 255.255.255.0

I used dillo and opened these forums. The page loaded in 3 secs.
Then I used Epiphany and tried weather.com-large-maps (a page I have bookmarked).
This took 15 minutes, and it finally timed out.
I then copied the weather-map address into dillo, and the page loaded in 2 secs, but the map had a message "internal server error"
I guess my new USB LAN dongle is working like it should.

When I first hooked it up, I couldn't get ifconfig to output anything about eth0
But after rebooting and trying again, it worked!
One minor bug, if you can call it a bug. The network config GUI won't disconnect the connection. I have to unplug the dongle.

When I first got home with this new "toy", I plugged it into my Cacko Zaurus, and it has a major problem.
The USB icon comes on the taskbar, but after about 3-5 seconds, Qtopia locks up completely. The only recourse is resetting in the battery compartment.
I guess, I'll have to fiddle with that Zaurus some to get it working. I'll post anything else about this in the Sharp subforum, if necessary.

Edit:
What gave me the idea to use this dongle is this thread from awhile back:
https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showto...=Belkin+F5D5050
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 10:27:37 pm by Jon_J »
C3100 Multiboot-->Angstrom 2007.12-r18 | Cacko 1.23 | ArchLinuxARM
C3200 pdaxii13v2-5.5-alpha4 Akita on NAND

Ambicom WL1100C-CF Wifi - Ambicom CF modem - Ambicom CF GPS - Belkin-F5D5050 USB LAN
Socket CF Bluetooth rev K - Iogear 4 port USB micro hub - pocket CF card reader
Targus mini USB optical mouse - 2 Targus SD card readers

scrapheap

• View Profile
Supported Usb Lan Dongle
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2007, 10:02:40 am »
Don't get a Dynamode USB-NIC-1427-100 LAN Dongle as I have had big problems with mine not working on some networks but working on others.  I contacted their tech support and they said that they don't support linux.  I then sent them a link to their web page for the product which clearly states that linux is support.  They just responded saying that the web page is incorrect and needs to be updated.

So it looks like I have to now go to the hassle of finding a replacement.  I am waiting to hear back from linksys as to what chipset they use in their USB200M (hopefully it is a rtl8150, but we will see.)

Jon_J

• View Profile
    • http://
Supported Usb Lan Dongle
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2007, 03:16:28 pm »
Quote from: scrapheap
Don't get a Dynamode USB-NIC-1427-100 LAN Dongle as I have had big problems with mine not working on some networks but working on others.  I contacted their tech support and they said that they don't support linux.  I then sent them a link to their web page for the product which clearly states that linux is support.  They just responded saying that the web page is incorrect and needs to be updated.

So it looks like I have to now go to the hassle of finding a replacement.  I am waiting to hear back from linksys as to what chipset they use in their USB200M (hopefully it is a rtl8150, but we will see.)
Here is a thread about the Linksys USB200M
I have one and there seems to be a driver for 2.6 kernels, but I'm running pdaxii13, which uses the 2.4 kernel, so I had to purchase a different dongle. (Shown in thread, 2 posts up)
Good luck with the USB200M
https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=24903

NOTE: the attachments in that thread have disappeared, you may find the driver file by googling the filename I posted.

Edit
Is the Linksys USB200M dongle the one pictured in this thread?
https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?s=&...st&p=163007
If it is, we are talking about the same dongle.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 03:42:40 pm by Jon_J »
C3100 Multiboot-->Angstrom 2007.12-r18 | Cacko 1.23 | ArchLinuxARM
C3200 pdaxii13v2-5.5-alpha4 Akita on NAND

Ambicom WL1100C-CF Wifi - Ambicom CF modem - Ambicom CF GPS - Belkin-F5D5050 USB LAN
Socket CF Bluetooth rev K - Iogear 4 port USB micro hub - pocket CF card reader
Targus mini USB optical mouse - 2 Targus SD card readers

boardboyd

• View Profile
Supported Usb Lan Dongle
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2007, 05:21:10 pm »
The following is a pic of the Linksys 200M

So there isn't a driver for the 200M for hte 2.4 kernel, I might have to look into R198 or whatever pdaxrom is at, I have the same one and a ZD1215 USB Wifi dongle which I think has 2.6 drivers.

BTW I have a Linksys 200M I've never been able to get to work with Cacko, pdaxii13, it's a V2 of the hardware, and reported vend/prod ID from dmesg upon insertion is 0x13b1/0x18, a quick google and you get a bunch of TiVo forums, but this one looks promising with a driver for a 2.4.20 kernel, might be worth a try when I get home tonight.  Appears it uses the ax8817x chipset not the RealTek one.
C3100 - pdaxii13 Sally - Running beatifully except no alarm atm
Linksys WCF12 WiFi
Kingmax 60x 256mb SD/NoName 1g CF/Noname 256mb CF
SL5500 - Cacko 1.22 *Retired