Author Topic: X Into Z  (Read 1547 times)

adf

• View Profile
    • http://
X Into Z
« on: June 15, 2007, 06:28:27 pm »
I saw a few mentions of using other devices as clients for the Z.  I've done X forwarding of applications to my desktop, and of course vnc, and X indirect/xdmcp stuff on desktops. How are people forwarding the full Z xdesktop to other machines? Is there a preferred, lowest overhead/lowest hassle method?  Is it simply a matter of running gdm? or xdm? and editing the conf files?
Info appreciated.
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

T3_slider

• View Profile
X Into Z
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 10:52:16 pm »
The easiest way to use the Z over ssh on another machine is to issue "xinit" from the command-line on the other computer, then type "ssh -l username -Y ip.of.zaurus", enter your password etc., and then type startx. This should provide the full Z desktop over ssh. You need to enable X forwarding in /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the Z for this to work.

Using full desktop environments from other computers on the Z is more difficult since xinit does not work (at least for me). I haven't really played with it much, but there may be a way with a .xinitrc file that only opens an xterm.
Conics SL-C3200 running pdaXrom beta3 and XFCE with a Planex WiFi CF card.

Slackware rules!

adf

• View Profile
    • http://
X Into Z
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 12:14:00 am »
The easiest way to use the Z over ssh on another machine is to issue "xinit" from the command-line on the other computer, then type "ssh -l username -Y ip.of.zaurus", enter your password etc., and then type startx. This should provide the full Z desktop over ssh. You need to enable X forwarding in /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the Z for this to work.

Using full desktop environments from other computers on the Z is more difficult since xinit does not work (at least for me). I haven't really played with it much, but there may be a way with a .xinitrc file that only opens an xterm.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163275\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Thanks I was looking at doing indirect via gdm--- this is noticeably better
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf