Author Topic: Pdaxii13v2  (Read 65662 times)

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
Pdaxii13v2
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 07:26:02 pm »
Hey Meanie,

Once again nice work Meanie.  It is amazing how much work you put into this.  I just have one quick question.  I want to upgrade my pdaxii13 to 5.4.9, then to pdaxii13v2.  The only problem is that I have a non-standard setup.  My SL-C1000 has the FULL version on SD.  If I use pdaXii13-custom.tgz, and then pdaxiiv2-upgrade, will it work?

Thanks again Meanie.

Canguy
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167753\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

i am not sure whether it will work on the c1000 with a full install on SD since I cannot test it. the only way to find out is for someone to try it out.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167765\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
OK.  I guess I will be backing up my SD and internal flash tomorrow and try it.  Just wanted to know if it was theoretically possible.  Thanks Meanie.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167777\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

So, I upgraded to 5.4.9 using the custom.tgz, and then installed the upgrade ipk for v2, which installed all of the updates.  Everything works great except for a couple of issues.  The main one is that IceWM does not have any apps in the start menu.  Is this normal behaviour?

Canguy
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167957\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Does openbox work correctly?
There might have been a few config files being missed out when you upgraded to 5.4.9
Try unpacking pdaXii13-custom.tgz and copying the files under the icewm subdirectory to /etc/icewm

also, there is a menu item to regenerate the icewm menus, but if you don't have any items, then that would be difficult to run it from the menu  try running makeicemenu :-)

Anyway, this is just a alpha release and the purpose of this release is to find all the bugs and issues releated to the upgrade to pdaXiiv2

Please if you discover any issues, even little ones, dont hesitate to report them so they can be fixed for alpha2

for anyone trying to upgrade from a version prior to 5.4.9 to pdaXiiv2, please make sure your upgrade to 5.4.9  is successful before upgrading to pdaXiiv2. if you have any issues upgrading from 5.4.x to 5.4.9, please let me know as well. i want to make sure that all the upgrades from 5.x.x to 5.4.9 is good.
please make sure when you are reporting problems you clearly state whether it is one for upgrading to 5.4.9 or pdaXiiv2 alphax. those two are two different issues and i want to keep them separate.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 07:36:56 pm by Meanie »
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K

Jon_J

• View Profile
    • http://
Pdaxii13v2
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 09:27:54 pm »
I've been mostly absent the entire summer, temps where my desktop is located get over 90º F (and I'm never home much then).
I just upgraded pdaxii13 - 5.4.3 to 5.4.9
I'll Use 5.4.9 awhile and see if I have any problems, before attempting to upgrade to pdaXiiv2.
First thing I noticed upon reboot (after the upgrade) is "xselect" only has 2 options:
1. Quit
2. Openbox

In 5.4.3, I could select icewm from there. I also think there was another selection available, (like fluxbox or another wm) I never used those selections in 5.4.3 because my only alternate wm was icewm.

One minor glitch I had upgrading, is that my C3200 has sat on my desk (plugged in) all summer, and I had to reboot and make sure my CF card mounted properly before zcat could find pdaxii13-custom.tgz

One other minor thing I have always had to do when using the upgrade method, is make sure I am "inside" the directory where each of these 2 files are located before issuing a command on them.
for "zcat pdaXii13-custom.tgz | tar xvf - -C /mnt/cf/upgrade" (I needed to issue cd /mnt/cf)
for "./install-fix-beta3.sh / upgrade" (I needed to issue cd /mnt/cf/upgrade/custom)
C3100 Multiboot-->Angstrom 2007.12-r18 | Cacko 1.23 | ArchLinuxARM
C3200 pdaxii13v2-5.5-alpha4 Akita on NAND

Ambicom WL1100C-CF Wifi - Ambicom CF modem - Ambicom CF GPS - Belkin-F5D5050 USB LAN
Socket CF Bluetooth rev K - Iogear 4 port USB micro hub - pocket CF card reader
Targus mini USB optical mouse - 2 Targus SD card readers

Meanie

• View Profile
Pdaxii13v2
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 09:55:43 pm »
I've been mostly absent the entire summer, temps where my desktop is located get over 90º F (and I'm never home much then).
I just upgraded pdaxii13 - 5.4.3 to 5.4.9
I'll Use 5.4.9 awhile and see if I have any problems, before attempting to upgrade to pdaXiiv2.
First thing I noticed upon reboot (after the upgrade) is "xselect" only has 2 options:
1. Quit
2. Openbox

In 5.4.3, I could select icewm from there. I also think there was another selection available, (like fluxbox or another wm) I never used those selections in 5.4.3 because my only alternate wm was icewm.

One minor glitch I had upgrading, is that my C3200 has sat on my desk (plugged in) all summer, and I had to reboot and make sure my CF card mounted properly before zcat could find pdaxii13-custom.tgz

One other minor thing I have always had to do when using the upgrade method, is make sure I am "inside" the directory where each of these 2 files are located before issuing a command on them.
for "zcat pdaXii13-custom.tgz | tar xvf - -C /mnt/cf/upgrade" (I needed to issue cd /mnt/cf)
for "./install-fix-beta3.sh / upgrade" (I needed to issue cd /mnt/cf/upgrade/custom)
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167987\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

it does not seem like you got the correct version of xselect installed

numbers are not being shown anymore, they should be letters, ie

O OpenBox
I IceWM
F FluxBox
E Enlightenment
K KDE
Q Quit

the above depends on which window managers are installed. obviously if the wm is not present, it won't be shown in the list.

in your case, you should at least see OpenBox and IceWM

btw, it is generally better to use the Upgrade option in the installer to upgrade rather than manually running the upgrade script.
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)

glac

• View Profile
Pdaxii13v2
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 07:04:01 am »
Hello Meanie,

Great work on pdaxii13, congratulations and thanks!
I have a SL-C3200 and I've installed sucessfully the 5.4.9 Akita version. I've updated the ipkg package, ipkg.conf and added the ignored file as stated in this post. There were some probles during installation:

- When installing gtk2, there were problems with libpng and libcairo.
- When I tried to acess network-cfg, there was a script error when looking for gtk
- All the desktop default icons were gone (only appears an symbol with X, probably of not found), and probably because they were png icons.

That appears to be all. I'll backup my installation again (of mine 5.4.9) and try again to reproduce and feedback the problems with its correct messages to make it easier to track the bugs.

I've one more doubt: When I rebooted my system, there was a message like this before mounting the VFS:

"jffs2_scan_inode_node(): CRC failed on node 0x0618bdfc " followed by the sum calculated and the expected sum.

Is this some serious problem, do I need to reinstall pdaxii13 to correct this or this is normal?

Thanks for your work and attention.

glac
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 07:05:31 am by glac »

canguy247

• View Profile
Pdaxii13v2
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2007, 09:07:50 pm »
Thanks a million guys.  It would seem I have found the problem...but not the cause.  The first thing I noticed is that makeicemenu did not exist.  So I checked the next thing... and wow, /etc/icewm does not exist either.  It would seem that the upgrade to 5.4.9 did not work.  So then I unpacked pda...custom.tgz and had a look at the install script.  I used this file to manually copy over what I needed for icewm.  I did not want to simply run the script manually since I did not want to mess up the system, since I have upgraded to v2.  Guess I should have spent more than a few hours with 5.4.9 to check out the issues before upgrading.  Things seem fine now, the only issue is that I know much of the upgrade script worked, but not all.  If anything else messes up, I will know where to look.  My next step will be to look at Meanie's release notes and manually copy over fixes that were done after my old version, which will not mess up v2.

So far so good though!  What an awesome setup Meanie.  This is what I wanted my pda to do when I bought it.  wow, thanks again dude.

Canguy
SL-C1000 - Debian 2.6.24.4-yonggun (from SD)
Pandora preordered
4GB Transcend 150X SD
16GB AData CF
USB Host cable
Bluetooth USB Dongle/Linksys WCF12 CF Wifi
TRENDnet TE-CF100 10/100 Wired ethernet CF / DM9601 usb ethernet
Palm III keyboard neoprene case

Meanie

• View Profile
Pdaxii13v2
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2007, 10:17:29 pm »
Hello Meanie,

I have a SL-C3200 and I've installed sucessfully the 5.4.9 Akita version. I've updated the ipkg package, ipkg.conf and added the ignored file as stated in this post. There were some probles during installation:

- When I tried to acess network-cfg, there was a script error when looking for gtk
- All the desktop default icons were gone (only appears an symbol with X, probably of not found), and probably because they were png icons.

That appears to be all. I'll backup my installation again (of mine 5.4.9) and try again to reproduce and feedback the problems with its correct messages to make it easier to track the bugs.

I've one more doubt: When I rebooted my system, there was a message like this before mounting the VFS:

"jffs2_scan_inode_node(): CRC failed on node 0x0618bdfc " followed by the sum calculated and the expected sum.

Is this some serious problem, do I need to reinstall pdaxii13 to correct this or this is normal?

glac
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168005\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

is this on a Akita base or an extended Akita full ?
what exact version of gtk2 did it try to install?
as for the jffs2 errors, that's normal for all Zaurus models that use the NAND...

glac

• View Profile
Pdaxii13v2
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 07:19:45 am »
Quote from: Meanie
Hello Meanie,

glac
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168005\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

is this on a Akita base or an extended Akita full ?
what exact version of gtk2 did it try to install?
as for the jffs2 errors, that's normal for all Zaurus models that use the NAND...

I was upgrading from Akita 5.4.9 Alice full. The only feed on mine ipkg.conf was the pdaxii13v2/ so the version was 2.10.13-1. Before the gtk2 problem, there was the conflict of libcairo with libpng (wanting the version of libpng). When it tried to install gtk2, there was some kind of issue with libcairo or libpng (can't remember wicht one now). I will try to upgrade again after I've done my backup and show exactaly all the messages.

Thanks for the reply and forgive mine bad description of the problems I've had.

glac

Jon_J

• View Profile
Pdaxii13v2
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2007, 03:13:23 pm »

O OpenBox
I IceWM
F FluxBox
E Enlightenment
K KDE
Q Quit

the above depends on which window managers are installed. obviously if the wm is not present, it won't be shown in the list.

It seems that IceWM is missing on my C3200 also. I no longer have /etc/icewm directory, and no icewm entries shown in package manager.
I'm not concerned about icewm at the moment because I'm backing up my personal data and am going to "Flash" to 5.4.9
I seem to have mount and unmount problems with both my SD & CF cards, and probably have some configuration issues of my own doing.
This is why I'm starting over with a fresh flash.
One quick question.
Is the 2.6 kernel being introduced with 5.4.9 to pdaxii13v2 upgrade?
I'm asking about this because both my CF LAN card and USB LAN dongle seem to have drivers that work with the 2.6 kernel.

Ambicom WL1100C-CF Wifi - Ambicom CF modem - Ambicom CF GPS - Belkin-F5D5050 USB LAN

Meanie

• View Profile
Pdaxii13v2
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2007, 07:47:55 pm »
Quote from: Jon_J

O OpenBox
I IceWM
F FluxBox
E Enlightenment
K KDE
Q Quit

It seems that IceWM is missing on my C3200 also. I no longer have /etc/icewm directory, and no icewm entries shown in package manager.
I'm not concerned about icewm at the moment because I'm backing up my personal data and am going to "Flash" to 5.4.9
I seem to have mount and unmount problems with both my SD & CF cards, and probably have some configuration issues of my own doing.
This is why I'm starting over with a fresh flash.
One quick question.
Is the 2.6 kernel being introduced with 5.4.9 to pdaxii13v2 upgrade?
I'm asking about this because both my CF LAN card and USB LAN dongle seem to have drivers that work with the 2.6 kernel.

no, pdaXii13 will stay on the 2.4.20 kernel.

the 2.6 kernel is still unstable. none of the Z distros out there have a fully functional 2.6 kernel yet.
if you want pdaXrom with 2.6 kernel, wait for pdaXrom 2.0.0 or use its alpha versions, ie r198...

adf

• View Profile
Pdaxii13v2
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2007, 09:07:11 pm »
I have KDE installed (ShiroiKuma's squash this time) and have no kde entry on the startup menu.  How do I fix that?
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

Meanie

• View Profile
Pdaxii13v2
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2007, 12:26:08 am »
Quote from: adf
I have KDE installed (ShiroiKuma's squash this time) and have no kde entry on the startup menu.  How do I fix that?

your kde session script (modified xinitrc script) has to be /usr/bin/kde-session
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 12:26:42 am by Meanie »

Meanie

• View Profile
Pdaxii13v2
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2007, 12:28:11 am »
the pygtk is not working correctly, so until that is resolved, pygtk will be added to the ignored list for package upgrades in alpha2
if you have already upgraded it, uninstall it and reinstall the older version.

Jon_J

• View Profile
Pdaxii13v2
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2007, 09:33:07 pm »
I've two questions.
1. If I upgrade from pdaxii13-5.4.9 to pdaxii13v2, over my internet connection, will I lose my settings I have made to these files?
/etc/pcmcia/config
/etc/pcmcia/herms.conf
/etc/pcmcia/hostap_cs.conf
/etc/pcmcia/network.opts

2. I have pdaxii13-5.4.9 sally installed to NAND (I only have one thing installed on the hard drive, firefox)
Do all these updates install to NAND only? I have 51 MB remaining on my NAND

Thank you,
Jon
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 10:04:33 pm by Jon_J »

Jon_J

• View Profile
Pdaxii13v2
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2007, 07:06:52 pm »
I decided to upgrade to pdaxii13v2 and installed the file "pdaxiiv2-upgrade_4.4.0-alpha2_armv5tel.ipk"
I was connected to the internet while the upgrade process was running when my zaurus went to sleep, and lost my connection.
This upgrade is only partially finished. I need to restart it again.
Is this possible?
If I reboot my zaurus, will it be messed up, or should I try another connection and try the upgrade again?

Thank you,
Jon

Capn_Fish

• View Profile
Pdaxii13v2
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2007, 07:15:06 pm »
I'd play it safe and redo the upgrade (after disabling auto-sleep )
SL-C750- pdaXrom beta 1 (mostly unused)
Current distro: Gentoo