Author Topic: Pdaxii13v2  (Read 65584 times)

Jon_J

• View Profile
    • http://
Pdaxii13v2
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2007, 02:52:14 pm »
why not installing the package the usual way
1. I only wanted the libraries for gthumb. The full libtool package install takes about 1MB.
2. I'm trying to keep my installs onto flash to a minimum, and I install libraries to flash.
C3100 Multiboot-->Angstrom 2007.12-r18 | Cacko 1.23 | ArchLinuxARM
C3200 pdaxii13v2-5.5-alpha4 Akita on NAND

Ambicom WL1100C-CF Wifi - Ambicom CF modem - Ambicom CF GPS - Belkin-F5D5050 USB LAN
Socket CF Bluetooth rev K - Iogear 4 port USB micro hub - pocket CF card reader
Targus mini USB optical mouse - 2 Targus SD card readers

scheck.r

• View Profile
Pdaxii13v2
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2007, 03:38:46 pm »
Thanks for the explanations
SL-C1000 from PriceJapan(cheap and very fast shipping) with EA-70 power adapter, iRiver USB Host cable, PDAIR case, pentopia stylus, ultra clear screen-protector from shop.brando.com.hk only $3 for shipping worldwide
4GB Hitachi Microdrive, 1GB Kingston Elite Pro CF, 4GB Transcend 150x SD, Symbol Spectrum 4137 CF WiFi(low power)
PdaXrom pdaxii13 5.4.9 updated with Kkazakov13's feed. I owned a SL-6000L before

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
Pdaxii13v2
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2007, 10:36:47 pm »
just updated to alpha4 now with support for new version of openbox
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K

adf

• View Profile
Pdaxii13v2
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2007, 12:22:48 am »
Quote from: Meanie
just updated to alpha4 now with support for new version of openbox
Just did the alpha1 update on a fresh install--the Z is installing the software I typically add atm. when it is done, I'll reboot and run the alpha4 update. At worst it will be instructive
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

Jon_J

• View Profile
Pdaxii13v2
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2007, 11:58:55 am »
Meanie, is there a way I can add packages to the "Ignored" list when upgrading, using "pdaxiiv2-upgrade_5.5.0-alpha4_armv5tel.ipk" ?
I usually remove applications that I don't use after the upgrade process, and after this latest upgrade, I only had 17 MB left on root.
I'm afraid in future upgrades, I'll run out of root space when new packages are introduced in the upgrade.
Some of the packages I usually uninstall are 2-3 MB or larger.
If I really want to keep a large package, I'll re-install it to the hard drive.

Thank you,
Jon
EDIT:
On an unrelated subject, Openbox Configuration Manager will not appear on the menu.
You need to edit its desktop file to make it appear. It will now be in the menu selection, "Other"
change this
Icon=openbox
to
Icon=openbox.png
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 01:38:29 pm by Jon_J »

Ambicom WL1100C-CF Wifi - Ambicom CF modem - Ambicom CF GPS - Belkin-F5D5050 USB LAN

Richard

• View Profile
Pdaxii13v2
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2007, 01:35:39 pm »
Quote from: Jon_J
Meanie, is there a way I can add packages to the "Ignored" list when upgrading "pdaxiiv2-upgrade_5.5.0-alpha4_armv5tel.ipk" ?
I usually remove applications that I don't use after the upgrade process, and after this latest upgrade, I only had 17 MB left on root.
I'm afraid in future upgrades, I'll run out of root space when new packages are introduced in the upgrade.
Some of the packages I usually uninstall are 2-3 MB or larger.
If I really want to keep a large package, I'll re-install it to the hard drive.

Thank you,
Jon
I previously tried to upgrade from 5.4.9 to 5.5.0 alpha1 using the ipk while connected to the internet on my C3100 running Sally (with packages installed in NAND and on my SD card).   I only had 11 MB free in NAND, and after 20 minutes or so I got a group of errors because I ran out of room on my root partition.  The install failed, and I had to do a fresh install.

I'm back to 5.4.9 with packages installed on NAND and on /mnt/ide.  I have about 30 MB free in NAND.  How much room do we need to upgrade to 5.5.0?  I saw Meanie's response about this, but does anyone else know if the upgrade feature of ipkg will install the upgraded package to the same location as the original? (I kind of doubt it.)  Also, is the "ignore" list part of the upgrade of ipkg?  I haven't seen anything about this until the last few posts.

Thanks!

Jon_J

• View Profile
Pdaxii13v2
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2007, 01:44:54 pm »
Richard,
If you have packages installed to another location, (I use my hard drive. /mnt/ide/) the upgrade process will upgrade that package in its original location.
If you uninstall a package from root (NAND) and don't re-install it somewhere else, the upgrade will install this package back to root.
The packages that I install to my hard drive are not re-installed by the upgrade, (unless they need an upgrade)
I hope you understand what I'm saying. If you just remove a package, the next time you upgrade using the upgrade IPK, it will install that package again if it doesn't find it on your Zaurus.

EDIT:
These are some of the packages that I removed from root, and manually re-installed to /mnt/ide/
These are packages of 1-3 MB or larger
Links
sylpheed
gthumb
abiword
pidgion
There are some others that I don't use at all, but they are small. So I just remove them anyway.
I always have had firefox and epiphany installed to the hard drive, since they are large packages.

The ignore list is in "pdaxiiv2-upgrade_5.5.0-alpha4_armv5tel.ipk". If you use a windows machine, you can open this file in winrar and extract "ignore", then view it in a text app.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 01:54:28 pm by Jon_J »

Richard

• View Profile
Pdaxii13v2
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2007, 05:34:59 pm »
Thanks, Jon.  Made perfect sense, and that's what I was hoping to find out.  I have packages on the harddrive, and didn't want the upgrade process to try and stick those in the root area.

Does anyone know if the upgrade can work with 30 MB free in NAND?  My only real concern is in downloading the upgrade packages - they may fill my available space and cause a problem with the upgrade.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 05:36:12 pm by Richard »

Jon_J

• View Profile
Pdaxii13v2
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2007, 07:04:31 pm »
I have upgraded my pdaxii13v2 with only 28 MB left in root. (NAND area)
I originally upgraded from pdaxii13-5.4.9 akita. (The sally version on NAND)
I have gone through all 4 versions of the upgrade (alpha1 -> alpha4 (present))
One time, when it finished downloading and installing newer packages, I only had 17MB left on root.
I had no problems un-installing larger packages, then manually re-installing them to my hard drive.
One other thing I always do is run ipkg update. This updates the "available" packages list.

I don't use ipkg upgrade.
I think Meanie said not to use this, and you will get a warning when doing this, that this is not supported in pdaxii13
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 07:05:13 pm by Jon_J »

Meanie

• View Profile
Pdaxii13v2
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2007, 09:18:36 pm »
Quote from: Jon_J
I have upgraded my pdaxii13v2 with only 28 MB left in root. (NAND area)
I originally upgraded from pdaxii13-5.4.9 akita. (The sally version on NAND)
I have gone through all 4 versions of the upgrade (alpha1 -> alpha4 (present))
One time, when it finished downloading and installing newer packages, I only had 17MB left on root.
I had no problems un-installing larger packages, then manually re-installing them to my hard drive.
One other thing I always do is run ipkg update. This updates the "available" packages list.

I don't use ipkg upgrade.
I think Meanie said not to use this, and you will get a warning when doing this, that this is not supported in pdaxii13

actually, what the pdaxiiv2-upgrade package does is update the ignored file and run postinst script which runs ipkg upgrade on a list of predefined packages.
once you installed any version of pdaxiiv2-upgrade, you could in theory just run ipkg update; ipkg upgrade after you update ignored list.
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)

adf

• View Profile
Pdaxii13v2
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2007, 11:06:08 pm »
All worked well (4.9 full, fresh to 5.5) with the alpha1, install, alpha4 unintended sequence. The thing is, though, I install just about everything I suspect I might want (mostly to /media/fakeroot), and still have about 52 megs left on Nand ( I uses a 121M /). Is this to do with using the full version rather than base+ipk, maybe?

Anyway, I thought I'd mentioned that after some failed tests of titchy, and a strong suspicion that angstrom (and possibly even pdaX current) might not work using my A-Data CF, I seriously considered putting in a 6-gig Microdrive that i have on hand, just for compatibility. WHile thinking about it, I reviewed what I actually use my Z for (multimedia, a game or two, email and web browsing--planning to get more pimly with it though), and realized that regardless of what I had in my internal slot, I'd end up using pdaxii (though I'd love to see webkit or Firefox2 on there someday) due to the hardware support, sound and multimedia speed. On realizing that if I did the surgery, I'd end up flashing back to pdaxii in a few days, at most, I left the 16G on board.
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

Richard

• View Profile
Pdaxii13v2
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2007, 08:50:56 am »
I actually only had 20 MB free on my NAND partition last night when I tried to upgrade from 5.4.9 to 5.5 alpha 4.  It sailed along and upgraded a couple packages installed in /mnt/ide, and installed a few in NAND.  Pretty soon, my root partition was full and I had 0 space available.  The upgrade failed and I flashed back to 5.4.9.  I will look tonight to see what packages I can move out of NAND to get atleast 30-40 MB free.

I guess the alternative is to look at the postinst script and mod it to install to /mnt/ide by default...

Meanie

• View Profile
Pdaxii13v2
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2007, 08:55:19 pm »
pdaXii13v2 is still early in alpha and has only been tested in its pdaXii13v2 full edition. there is no pdaXii13v2 base

Meanie

• View Profile
Pdaxii13v2
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2007, 11:12:52 pm »
ok, alpha5 is out
nothing much changed except I enhanced the postinst script to try to guess whether you have base or full installed. at the moment, if you have rox and scim installed, it will assume you have pdaxii13 full and does the full upgrade and add some extra packages as well. if it does not find rox and scim, it will assume you have pdaXii13 base installed and only upgrade installed packages without adding extra packages.

in theory if, you have the pdaxiiv2-upgrade package installed already, you don't need to reinstall it unless you really want to. what this package is as follows:

replace /usr/bin/ipkg with a newer version (has not changed since alpha2 and not likely to change anymore)
replace /etc/ipkg.conf with updated feeds (this one is also unlikely to change and you might want to add your own custom feeds anyway)
replace /etc/issue (this one contains the version number of pdaXiiv2 and would be 5.5.0-alphaX)
add/replace /usr/lib/ipkg/ignored (this is where you put the names of packages you don't want upgraded)

the postinst script will then use ipkg upgrade and/or add packages that are listed in postinst script

as an alternate, you could simply update the above files like ipkg.conf and ignored before running ipkg update; ipkg upgrade

in effect, it will grab the latest packages from the pdaxiiv2 feed and upgrade your current packages with the newer ones from the feed (if it is newer)

Richard

• View Profile
Pdaxii13v2
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2007, 04:16:14 am »
After my last attempt with pdaxiiv2, I reflashed back to version 5.4.9 (Sally) on my CL3100 and worked with that distro for a while.  This morning, I was itching to try 5.5.0 again, so I downloaded the latest alpha5 updater.

It ran perfectly and installed the base system - only consuming an extra 10 MB of space on my NAND partition.

I rebooted and openbox came back up, but I had no icons.  They were there, but all white with red 'x's in them.  I remembered others had problems with icons, so I can back here to read.  I tried everything mentioned here - from manually installing packages from the different feeds to running commands in the terminal to get libpng to work right.

I was just about ready to go back to 5.4.9 and I read that gtk2 had issues for someone.  So, I exited to the shell and removed gtk2, then reinstalled it.  It installed, but complained about a folder missing (with gtk in the title) and a missing library, libscim.so.  So, I uninstalled gtk2 again, installed gtk and scim, then reinstalled gtk2.  This time, no complaints.

I just finished rebooting v2 again, and openbox came up with icons intact!  It's working perfectly now.  I was surprised that upgrades weren't applied to these packages even though I ran "ipkg upgrade".  Maybe I was missing them all along...

Anyway, the new alpha5 installed perfectly and correctly guessed that I wanted the base install!  Great job Meanie!